Visual Novels like Fate / Stay Night

fate123

Hello there :D

So, I'm a newcomer to visual novels, so I decided to play one which immediately caught my interest; Fate / Stay Night. I've played the Fate route, and DAMN was it good. It was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever read. Now, here's where the problem lies...

...after having started the Unlimited Blade Works route, I just... can't get into it. After having become so familiar with the caracters, having felt their emotions and seeing events and personalities change, starting it over feels so unnatural for me. Nearly the whole time I'm thinking "this is how it happened in the Fate route" rather than "I wonder what will happen next?"

So what I'm thinking of doing is waiting a month or two before starting the second route, just to sort of refresh my mind and give it a new start. Has anyone else ever felt this way? (Even with any other VN's?)

I'm thinking of reading an entirely different visual novel in the meantime. From what I've seen, not many seem very appealing to me.

I'm looking for something like Fate / Stay Night; one with interesting characters, and an immersive, epic and compex story. It doesn't have to fit all the criteria, but I'm just looking for something which may share some of these characteristics.

Thanks for reading and hopefully helping out :D :D :D

Fate and UBW have some similarities but I'll let you know that Heaven's Feel is completely different from the other two. I would recommend reading it because it is awesome and you'll be at the edge of your seat the entire time.

For visual novels like Fate/Stay Night I would have to recommend Tsukihime. Written by the same person and it takes place in the same universe. There are some Tsukihime references in Fate/Stay Night but it is not a requirment to read it.

Another VN I would recommend is Rewrite. Though it has differences from Fate/Stay Night it has interesting characters with a epic story, also it's made by Key.

It's hard to find if you want something really alike. Like rumble says Tsukihime is your best option, I just started it and is great. If you trust my taste (something you should not do), I would recommend Muv-Luv series, it have scifi and mecha plot, timeloops and a lot of good things. Maybe you can try Sharin no kuni or G-Senjou no maou but both are far different from fate, they are still awesome.

Ok, I'll give you a list, starting with the translated or soon to be translated and moving on to the untranslated.

translated/STB translated:

Tsukihime (same series, older, even more dated visuals and sound, but it is a good story)

Demonbane (JastUSA, Cthulhu Mythos)

Comyu (partial already up for download)

Ayakashibito (soon)

Rewrite (because someone is bound to mention it, despite the fact that it really isn't the same thing - it has fantasy action, but the action isn't central to everything, lol)

Shikkoku no Sharnoth (again, not really the same thing, as Liar-soft has a really unique style... but someone is bound to mention it)

Sekien no Inganock (ditto to above)

Untranslated

Gurenka (action/fantasy, with a fighting protagonist and several non-human heroines, along with a common enemy... definitely a descendent of FSN, lol)

Devils Devel Concept (much, MUCH darker than FSN, though it doesn't have any rape scenes and the protagonist isn't the weakest of the bunch - the reverse, actually)

Jingai Makyou (viva Nitroplus)

Soukou Akki Muramasa (similar to DDC, much darker than FSN, though it is also fantasy action, this time with mechs and katanas, haha)

Dies Irae (very dark VN, makes no apologies for its melodrama

and this)

Paradise Lost (prequel to the game above, much older, comparitively dated visuals and story)

Kajiri Kamui Kagura (based off of an alternate future of Dies Irae)

Vermilion Bind of Blood (vampires, cool powers, no good guys, and insanely scary villains)

Evolimit (one of my permanent top ten)

Bullet Butlers (fantasy world, combining WWII tech levels with sorcery, elves, and lizardmen, lol)

Tokyo Babel (dark fantasy action utilizing Christian apocryphal mythology)

Gensou no Avatar (doujin, Japanese mythology, decent action)

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made

Shinigami no Testament

Bloody Rondo

Gekkou no Carnevale (Nitroplus, action, werewolves, and living dolls)

Para-sol (like most of the games by this company, a bit weird, but it is good fantasy action)

Soranica Ele

Boku ga Sadame Kimi ni Tsubasa wo (not the best of this type, but it is decent)

fortissimo EXS//Akkord:nächsten Phase

Gensou no Idea

Thanks for all the great recommendations everyone. :D

I just started Tsukihime (played about 6 hours) and so far it's really good. (In a different way from F/SN though. I think I might actually end up liking it more.)

Dies Irae looks pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese yet. :( I plan on starting to learn Japanese in a few years, so once I eventually get a good grasp of the language I'll definitely check it out!

Thanks for all the great recommendations everyone. :D

I just started Tsukihime (played about 6 hours) and so far it's really good. (In a different way from F/SN though. I think I might actually end up liking it more.)

Dies Irae looks pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese yet. :( I plan on starting to learn Japanese in a few years, so once I eventually get a good grasp of the language I'll definitely check it out!

Tsukihime is my favorite VN, it gets better and better, though it takes some time to get masterpiece-ish

Thanks, and I will. You enjoy it as well! ^_^

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention. I might not have been clear enough, but I meant "similar" in terms of mood and the overall feel of the game, not in terms of the actual story content. I'm not as much into the ones where you hang around a bunch of cute girls the whole game, if you know what I mean... which seems to be like 50% of them haha. (Unless it has a really good story.) If anyone has any more ideas that would be great!

Just to ask, how far did you actually get into UBW? Just to point out one of the things that got me so hooked on FSN was the fact that UBW began to differentiate from Fate so extremely. This goes double for Heavens Feel.

Anyways, yeah Tsukihime is a bit different from FSN, but if you like one... you should like the other. I'd also recommend the aforementioned G-Senjou no Maou. Nothing really fantasy about but by far just as good as FSN.

I think his problem was that events differ so drastically, and he saw other aspects of the same characters, as well as their different relations.  I think Heavens Feel would make him feel worse that way, so it is only logical to take a break and come back.  I remember how uncomfortable I felt at first while playing Heavens Feel because of how different it was...

Hello there :D

So, I'm a newcomer to visual novels, so I decided to play one which immediately caught my interest; Fate / Stay Night. I've played the Fate route, and DAMN was it good. It was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever read. Now, here's where the problem lies...

...after having started the Unlimited Blade Works route, I just... can't get into it. After having become so familiar with the caracters, having felt their emotions and seeing events and personalities change, starting it over feels so unnatural for me. Nearly the whole time I'm thinking "this is how it happened in the Fate route" rather than "I wonder what will happen next?"

So what I'm thinking of doing is waiting a month or two before starting the second route, just to sort of refresh my mind and give it a new start. Has anyone else ever felt this way? (Even with any other VN's?)

Yes, I also enjoyed the first route of F/SN and I was quite disappointed with following two routes. But I'm a really huge Saber fan, so maybe that's why... :-D

The image Fate creates of the characters is significantly different from the image in UBW, and that is probably what bothers him.  In particular, UBW focuses less on Saber and more on Shirou's abnormal mentality and on the nature of sorcerers' culture in the Nasuverse. 

Well, similar in mood... maybe you could try Muv Luv? It's sci-fi instead of fantasy, and the first VN isn't really what you are looking for, but it gets much better later on. Or Kara no Shoujo, that has a very different feel from all the other VNs as well. But yeah, nothing similar to F/sn other than the fact that you 'avoid hanging around cute girls throughout the whole story'. The more similar things were already mentioned; Tsukihime is probably as close as you're going to get. :)

This is pretty off-topic, but since there's a thread like this, I will just ask here - I was also looking for a similar VN, but not similar in setting, but in the number of choices. Clannad would be one other example - well, even better, actually - are there any VNs with high amount of choices and a lot of (preferably early) branching routes? Translated ones if possible, currently buried under japanese ones. :D Genre doesn't matter.

Well, I didn't get very far before I decided to give it a break. It was a bit past the Berserker fight, so pretty much at the beginning.

It's not so much that it made me feel uncomfortable, but more that it was just awkward seeing characters' relations built up, then talking to each other having just met. Particularly Saber and Shiro since their relation was nearly the main focus of the Fate route.

Once I get through Tsukihime, I'll check out all the recommendations I've gotten and decide from there. ;)

BTW I'm loving Tsukihime. It feels a lot more realistic than F/SN which is different in a good way, and the pacing seems a lot better. F/SN sometimes felt a bit dragged out for me, especially with the sometimes repeated explanations of things.

Well, I didn't get very far before I decided to give it a break. It was a bit past the Berserker fight, so pretty much at the beginning.

It's not so much that it made me feel uncomfortable, but more that it was just awkward seeing characters' relations built up, then talking to each other having just met. Particularly Saber and Shiro since their relation was nearly the main focus of the Fate route.

Once I get through Tsukihime, I'll check out all the recommendations I've gotten and decide from there. ;)

BTW I'm loving Tsukihime. It feels a lot more realistic than F/SN which is different in a good way, and the pacing seems a lot better. F/SN sometimes felt a bit dragged out for me, especially with the sometimes repeated explanations of things.

The difference between routes in Tsukihime seems waaaaaaaaaaaay bigger than F/SN's to me, but they pretty much follow the same formula, explaining bothersome things in the first route and then becoming amazing in many ways later on.

The difference between routes in Tsukihime seems waaaaaaaaaaaay bigger than F/SN's to me, but they pretty much follow the same formula, explaining bothersome things in the first route and then becoming amazing in many ways later on.

While the routes go in very different directions, they also almost always rely on the same plot-device, which was my biggest gripe with the VN. And those production values... where's that remake, damn it? :D

While the routes go in very different directions, they also almost always rely on the same plot-device, which was my biggest gripe with the VN. And those production values... where's that remake, damn it? :D

haha yeah, the production is pretty low. In a way, it kinda gives it a nice charm though... but maybe that's just me. :P Fortunately the story more than holds that up though, so for me it isn't a big deal.  And my only big complaint with it so far is the music. I mean, it's like the same 4 songs or so repeated over and over, and it gets old only after a little while. -_-

haha yeah, the production is pretty low. In a way, it kinda gives it a nice charm though... but maybe that's just me. :P Fortunately the story more than holds that up though, so for me it isn't a big deal.  And my only big complaint with it so far is the music. I mean, it's like the same 4 songs or so repeated over and over, and it gets old only after a little while. -_-

That was exactly my problem. I usually get used to the art, no matter how it looks (and Tsukihime's isn't even that horrendous, compared to others), but the music can be a problem. The OST is tiny, uninteresting, and the VN is completely silent most of the time on top of that. And to top it all off, they have pretty much no sound effects whatsoever... it's a shame, really. But hey, in 20 years or so, we will maybe get that remake..... 50 years?

Yeah, the remake should really make it all around more enjoyable (assuming it even comes out.) I find the scenes with no sound are extremely dull.

*SPOILER... kinda

I just read the third major action scene (the one with Nrvrskr at midnight in the park) and man, it was so boring with no music...  it really makes a big difference. While F/SN's were really intensive, Tsukihime's action scenes are more boring than enjoyable to me.

Yeah, the remake should really make it all around more enjoyable (assuming it even comes out.) I find the scenes with no sound are extremely dull.

*SPOILER... kinda

I just read the third major action scene (the one with Nrvrskr at midnight in the park) and man, it was so boring with no music...  it really makes a big difference. While F/SN's were really intensive, Tsukihime's action scenes are more boring than enjoyable to me.

Tsukihime is less action and more mystery for me, per se. Especially for the Far Side of the Moon routes. The story went psychotic and I love it.

Tsukihime is less action and more mystery for me, per se. Especially for the Far Side of the Moon routes. The story went psychotic and I love it.

Yeah, I like reading for the story, not the action. Reading action can be boring, I'd much rather watch an read a Manga or watch an Anime for that sort of thing.

Psychotic stuff is always fun so I'll look forward to that. :D

Yeah, I like reading for the story, not the action. Reading action can be boring, I'd much rather watch an read a Manga or watch an Anime for that sort of thing.

Fate/Stay Night might be my next VN to play because i'm looking for something less romance based but I think you have a point when it comes to the action because fight scenes are better to watch then to read about and i'm the type of person that requires visual aid.

Well whatever i'll still read it because it look's like a good story.  B)

Fate/Stay Night might be my next VN to play because i'm looking for something less romance based but I think you have a point when it comes to the action because fight scenes are better to watch then to read about and i'm the type of person that requires visual aid.

Well whatever i'll still read it because it look's like a good story.  B)

Yeah, give it a try! I really liked it. Just keep in mind that it takes a while to get really good. There is a little romance in it (I just read the Fate route though) but not so much that it's romance themed. I like how it's there, but kept to a minimum.

Yeah, I'm the same too, visualizing fight scenes can be difficult and at times tedious for me. Especially in Star Wars books, I always struggled through the action scenes. Especially the space battles. (Sorry, a bit off topic.)