Getchu 2013 Bishoujo Game Awards

VN-Angel

First of all, I apologize if there is already a topic for this. I searched but couldn't find it(both in forum + fuwa) and I suck at searching.

http://www.getchu.com/pc/2013_g_ranking/

So how do you guys think of this list ?

daitosyokan.jpg

Unexpectedly, Daitoshokan is 1st. True, it was a better VN than your average chara-ge but personally, I don't find it that good to deserve first position. Seem like the majority have different opinion than mine.  :P 

All 3 titles of Grisaia entered the lists in their respective years. Awesome.

Madou Koukaku FTW!!!!! IMO, the best game from Eushully.

Interested in Reminiscene(and Hapymaher). I heard that it is the same author as Aka Goei. If so, it must be awesome.

Have anyone here read/played ChuSinGura ? Is it difficult to read,language-wise ? As it is a history based VN and I'm not native JP, I can't handle if they use old-era dialects or those weird way of talking.

Reminiscence 6th and Rakuen 5th. I am suprised that rakuen only came 1 place over reminiscence. But then again I am suprised it didn't come first xD. It is the best one for me I suppose so far of the 2013 novels I've read.

Reminiscence is a good vn, but it does have a few flaws. Namely the routes, we might see the continuation of that with the sequel.

Hapymaher is also on the list, Clephas regards it highly for 2013.

Thanks so much for calling this to our (my) attention.  It even goes all the way back to 2003.

Yay August! Their music, artwork, and character design are amazing. (Plot could use some work though)

Not sure what you're looking for, but I had no problem with the plot of Yoake anyway.  Estel's story was particularly impressive.

Have anyone here read/played ChuSinGura ? Is it difficult to read,language-wise ? As it is a history based VN and I'm not native JP, I can't handle if they use old-era dialects or those weird way of talking.

I'm currently still playing this one. And yes they do use the old Japanese style of talking, some are tricky to understand at first but you'll get the hang of it. My Japanese proficiency is of around JLPT N4 level, so it is really tricky for me to read/play the whole VN without assistance.

Speaking of ChuSinGura I was a bit surprised it made to a high no. 4, but I think it really deserved the spot

I'm currently still playing this one. And yes they do use the old Japanese style of talking, some are tricky to understand at first but you'll get the hang of it. My Japanese proficiency is of around JLPT N4 level, so it is really tricky for me to read/play the whole VN without assistance.

So they did use old era Japanse.  :(

Guess I will read Reminiscence and Hapymaher first.

character design are amazing.

Amazing!!?  That "thousands girls --> one face" style design is ? 

Madou Koukaku FTW!!!!! IMO, the best game from Eushully.

As an avid fan of Eushully, I felt Madou Koukaku was a weaker title.  The storyline was good, but the gameplay was tedious (micromanagement of 30+ territories and constantly pausing battles to micromanage unit actions and movement), imbalanced (difficulty spikes in mid-game and then drops off like a rock), and suffered from control issues (precise movements and maintaining attack range).  With other titles that have strong storylines AND more refined gameplay (like Ikusa Megami Zero and Verita), it's hard to recommend Madou Koukaku as *the* Eushully title to play--though it provides a good contrast to Kamidori Alchemy Meister, which had a weak storyline and great gameplay.

That said, when it comes to gameplay titles Eushully doesn't have much competition.  Only 23 Japanese PC titles with the VNDB RPG or Strategy tags were released in 2013.  Around 30% of those were doujin and therefore had no production values behind them.  The only other notable full-length gameplay titles during this period IMO were Pastel Chime 3 Bind Seeker (Alicesoft), Gears of Dragoon (Ninetail), Venus Blood -GAIA- (Ninetail / Dualtail), and Bunny Black 3 (Softhouse Chara).

As an avid fan of Eushully, I felt Madou Koukaku was a weaker title.  The storyline was good, but the gameplay was tedious (micromanagement of 30+ territories and constantly pausing battles to micromanage unit actions and movement), imbalanced (difficulty spikes in mid-game and then drops off like a rock), and suffered from control issues (precise movements and maintaining attack range).  With other titles that have strong storylines AND more refined gameplay (like Ikusa Megami Zero and Verita), it's hard to recommend Madou Koukaku as *the* Eushully title to play--though it provides a good contrast to Kamidori Alchemy Meister, which had a weak storyline and great gameplay.

I have only played Kamidori , Arterial and Madou Koukaku(No interest in old games) so yes,maybe I was being presumptuous by saying it is the best.

But if someone ask me to choose between 3 of them, I will definitely answer Madou Koukaku.

Yes, like you pointed out, the gameplay is pretty much unbalanced(the dolls overwhelm most units and high-levels generals with knock-back SS are almost impossible to kill) but personally when comes to gameplay-VN. I judge with enjoyment/fun factor more than the gameplay because for me, story/enjoyment is primary and gameplay is like a bonus.

And Madou Kokaku excels in that aspect.

-over 100 territories with beautiful and unique landscapes(The design of the country's capital cities fit their background perfectly), so many ways to progress through your first try(assuming that no walkthrough is involved), wide-screen resolution and for the first time in Eushully history, male are voiced.(Viva Eushully!!!)

Ikusa Megami Zero has possibly the best fantasy epic storyline I've ever read in a VN.  It completely destroys anything in English right now except for Aselia the Eternal (which had adult content stripped).  If you value story over gameplay, you should give the series a try.  One is being remade, and Two is still quite old, so Zero is a good starting point.  Verita shouldn't be played until you've completed Zero and Princess General 2 (since it brings together the protagonists from each).

Do you honestly mean to tell me that you can't see any difference between the design of the older August games such as Princess Holiday and the new ones such as Daitoshokan?

Nor can you say that the same characters in the same title have "one face", although as in most vns, there is a certain aesthetic uniformity to the characters (except for abominations like Little Busters)

It's supposed to take 2 years to learn Japanese and I'm lazy. Maybe technology will eventually overcome that language barrier (like how AGTH tried) but I don't see that happening anytime soon... maybe 5 years from now if I'm optimistic. 

Text hooking works for me.  If I couldn't text hook Japanese VNs, I wouldn't be playing them, and I certainly wouldn't know the Japanese I know now.

Perfect machine translation of Japanese isn't possible.  The language is too vague / context dependent, resulting in missing information that the English langugage demands to formulate a sentence.  A human (you) will always be required to fill in the blanks using context.  Those who currently thrive on machine translation have learned to piece together the understandable fragments and glue them together with what they already know about the situation.

I wasn't referring to the sprite design here actually, but I really am fond of August's sprites to be honest. (Sure the basis the "face" is drawn on may be the same, but the hair and how they present themselves distinguish the characters)

@zoom haven't read yoake yet, but the routes in Aiyoku that aren't the main route bothered me a bit more than I expected despite knowing the non-true routes would be pretty much pointless (even as alternative futures, I couldn't find myself particularly enjoying them, since they did seem a bit far fetched if kind of believable)

Daitoshokan at first place, well I liked it much but wasn't expecting it to get first place, but in the top 3. Rakuen at #5 (really good for being a sequel). Karumarka Circle first on #17 (I thought it would score a little bit higher) and it surprises me that cocoro@function just got the place after.

Well I'll interpret this the positive way, that is, there were a lot of great titles I missed out on from 2013, that I can pick up when I get time.... whenever that is...

Do you honestly mean to tell me that you can't see any difference between the design of the older August games such as Princess Holiday and the new ones such as Daitoshokan?

Nor can you say that the same characters in the same title have "one face", although as in most vns, there is a certain aesthetic uniformity to the characters (except for abominations like Little Busters)

"thousands girls --> one face" is just a figure of speech. But compare to other VNs, August's sprites are definitely more similar across their works. Take Tsumugi for example, shrink her face a little, paint her hair pink and we got Eustia (From Aiyoku no Eustia). Those 2 are just too similar. Especially when Tsumugi adopted an apologetic gesture, she is the splitting image of Eustia.

I feel that starting from Yoake, August's characters are getting more and more similar.