3DS XL or PS Vita?

roninmedia

I will preface this topic with this disclaimer: I have never owned a handheld gaming console. As old as I am, my gaming platform history consists of Nintendo Entertainment System to Sony Playstation to Sony Playstation 3. In between those generations of consoles, I play a lot of PC games.

I own a Galaxy S4 and a Galaxy Tab 8 where I can play some of the older game libraries on both the 3DS and Vita, but there is something to be said about playing something on the go with actual buttons. I am definitely not a fan of touchscreen gaming. Some other factors to consider, I don't intend to purchase a PS4 anytime soon and don't bother with PS+ because I don't have time to cycle through the instant game collection. I have my small group of games I enjoy multiple times.

I'm looking to get a handheld gaming console because I want to get my hands on some genres that aren't exactly popular on PC or even consoles. This will be strategy-RPGs and visual-novel games.

Definitely vita if you're looking for the best experience but keep in mind most novels are in japanese.

Even for strategy RPGs you're better off with a vita in my opinion. I don't know many strategy RPGs exist for the 3DS or maybe it's just that they're not available in my eshop (And that's another thing, the 3DS is region locked).

Overall the vita is just more of a gaming console and has a better performance. The 3DS is that friendly system you might want to give a try sometime but I wouldn't prioritize it over a vita for these genres. I only own a 3DS not a vita but i've tried the vita and even the regular PSP several times and can say it's more satisfying.

I'll add my vote for the Vita. Definetly has more stuff on the VN department and RPG department

You have a built in PSP emulator + PS1 emulator. Once a CFW is released (which will unleash its full potential) you'll have two GIGANTIC libraries of VNs and RPGs for those 2 systems.

Did I mention emulation? Currently, you have a lot of old consoles and arcade machine emulators on the PSP that can be used on the Vita thanks to the PSP emulation, the most important of then, a Sega Megadrive and an SNES emulator. I have no doubt that once native CFW on the Vita is achieved, we'll get a surge of new and improved emulators of every old console available.

And I haven't even mentioned that the Vita is also continously getting releases of this 2 genres! Finally, the VIta, as its predecesor the PSP, is becoming in a niche machine, releasing titles of "otaku" interest more than the 3DS.

PD: Did I mention that the specs of the Vita surpass by far the 3DS, the resolution is allways better and that it has 2 sticks?

I'm taking baby steps in learning Japanese so imported titles are a NO thus far.

The 3D function on the 3DS and the multimedia options with the Vita with music and movies don't even weigh into it for me. My tablet and cellphone handle videos just fine.

In terms of strategy RPGs, I was/am in total love with Final Fantasy Tactics. I actually purchased FFT: WotL for $5 despite not owning the PSP just to play with an emulator on my PC. I played the original on PSX and will probably get it for Android when it gets to the Play Store stateside. There is a dearth of these types games on PC and home consoles, because game developers see these genre as perfect for the mobile experience.

Now that I've looked over it the 3DS actually has tons more english VNs than the Vita has.

I'm counting ordinary DS games and PSP games that are available on the PSN here as well since they're both playable on their next gen console.

The Vita has:

Corpse Party (psp)

Corpse Party Book of Shadows (psp)

Dangan Ronpa 1

Dangan Ronpa 2 (not yet released)

Disgaea Infinite (psp)

Fate/Extra (psp)

Miko Gakkou Monogatari ~Sanae-hen

While on 3DS you have:

Again (ds)

Jake Hunter Detective Story: memories of the Past (ds)

Another Code (ds)

Ace Attorney 1 (ds)

Ace Attorney 2 (ds)

Ace Attorney 3 (ds)

Ace Attorney 4 (ds)

Ace Attorney 5

Ace Attorney Investigations (ds)

Hotel Dusk (ds)

LifeSigns (ds)

999: Zero Escape 1 (ds)

Last Window (ds)

Lux-Pain (ds)

Witch's Wish (ds)

The Nameless Game (ds)

Sprung (ds)

Time Hollow (ds)

All other VNs available in english are available on both the Vita and the 3DS.

The DS has a fantastic game library and they're all playable on the 3DS which gives you tons of good games to play. All PSP games aren't going to be available on the Vita (If I have understood right how it works) but many will. So make sure to check out the libraries of the old consoles as well before you decide.

I can only help with the 3DS, but it has Fire Emblem: Awakening (strategy), Project X Zone (strategy) and Ace Attorney Dual Destinies (VN). Forbidden Magna is also coming provided they localize it (they probably will). Virtue's Last Reward is on both systems.

The original DS has a massive library as well, so that's something to take into consideration. In the strategy/visual novel department (off the top of my head) it has stuff like Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Advance Wars DS/Days of Ruin, Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, 999, Hotel Dusk + Last Window, and all the other Ace Attorney games. And if you're willing to try games that aren't just strategy + VN, the DS library is pretty fantastic.

However, the 3DS is region locked. If you're in Europe like myself, prepare to be fucked in the ass with late release dates or games that might never even come out in Europe (still bitter about Rune Factory 4, lol). If you're in the US, then no problem. If you don't know Japanese then the region lock will not bother you.

However, the 3DS is region locked. If you're in Europe like myself, prepare to be fucked in the ass with late release dates or games that might never even come out in Europe 

This. I'm so tired of this.

If you're in an english speaking country you're probably safer. But if you're in some other country you'll probably be one of the last people to get a game.

This. I'm so tired of this.

If you're in an english speaking country you're probably safer. But if you're in some other country you'll probably be one of the last people to get a game.

Welp, it can get worse. You could live in Australia....

- PAL region

- any game is 50% more expensive

- limited retail options

- have to import your stuff

Welp, it can get worse. You could live in Australia....

- PAL region

- any game is 50% more expensive

- limited retail options

- have to import your stuff

I didn't even mention price. Just the availability is crap. especially in retail. I live in the PAL region too and the prices are also around 50% more expensive with taxes and stuff. Not to mention most retail stores don't have any games. I've been searching for mario 3D land as a present for my little sister for the 3DS but it simply doesn't exist physically here anymore in stores and I'm going to have to buy a digital copy which of course as a gamer is not a big deal but as a present it's kind of lame looking. When i go to the eshop it also doesn't give me an "europe" eshop it gives me the eshop of my country ONLY so I won't have games that other countries in europe might have, despite most of europe being in the PAL region which is depressing as hell. I wish nintendo would just come to their senses and make their consoles region free. For a console that's so loved worldwide as that friendly system making it region locked is just poor taste.

Regarding the OP. If you're in like north america you're probably good. If you're in europe you're probably more screwed if you go with the 3DS. Although the game library is more extensive than the vita's the vita still offers a better gaming experience. 

So Portugal is on the same level as the antipodes in gaming terms? lol

Haha I wouldn't be surprised. That's actually kind if ironic.

It's just that within PAL region there's an actual eshop for each country, at least here there is, so even though the game is distributed in PAL it might not be distributed in some countries despite those being in PAL which is frustrating.

But you'll get the major games don't get me wrong but for example the Ace Attorney games only exist in the eshop there's no physical copies of them. I've never found one at least. And the older ace attorney games are very hard to find. You'll only find major stuff like mario, pokemon and zelda in retail stores here. But the eshop itself is very restricted. I often find stuff that says "not available" in the eshop despite the title being there and then it doesn't exist in retail stores either so where am i suppose to get it??? Screw logic.