What's the most important element(s) for you that compose a great anime?

DeadIEnd

CUTE GIRLS DOING CUTE THINGS SO MOE IT MAKES ME WANT TO ROLL ON THE FLOOR AND BLEED FROM MY NOSE UNTIL I FAINT.

I don't like saying direction because there's plenty of shows with a non linear plot that are great such as Gintama or K-on.

I love the episodical formula if every episode manages to be entertaining and it's something I look for particularly with comedy and slice of life.

Honestly it just needs to have a fitting atmosphere and interesting characters for me to enjoy it. 

I mostly look at the genres first and then decide what do i like to see more in each genre.

Depending on the genre i'd also like to see some form of story. If it's a slice of life it doesn't require a deep story but i'd like something deeper with a drama for example.

If it's extremly cute i'll most likely enjoy it though.

By direction I meant the directing... Maybe I used the wrong word here. And Gintama is amazing at all aspects.

Oh that makes sense. Of course it needs a good directing staff or else it'll suck no matter how hard you try inb4 Little Busters. I thought you meant it needed a clear path, a defined storyline, that's why I said that.

1) Animation quality

I won't even watch an anime if it's hurting my eyes (Yeah shonens ...)

2) Characters :

I'm not asking for tons of originality but if there's one of the main characters whos annoying, there's a big chance i'll drop the show.

3) Atmosphere :

Few animes have a real "atmosphere". This is what makes the difference between a good and a great anime.

4) Story :

It depends on the anime, some are story focused in which case it has to be neat and clean, others aren't and it's very clumsy trying to add one.

5) Length :

Make it stop when it should. I have no favorite format (12-24 eps.) but I hate when animation studios don't stop a series when they should.

6) Fanservice :

It's like prunes : not too much.

Well, a great anime would have to at least not be terribad in anything, but I don't prefer an aspect or another. If I take a look at my favorite anime, they have various reasons of being good.

For example, Evangelion excels in directing, concepts and thematic depths, while the writing is not necessarily exceptional. Well, Evangelion is not a very good example because I don't find it a lot of bad aspects.

Chihayafuru I like for its characters and atmosphere before anything.

Heartcatch Precure because of its directing, writing and sheer amount of fun.

Kara no Kyoukai would be because of the concepts and the atmosphere, but the writing is far from perfect.

Etc, etc... If an anime manages to be amazing on at least one aspect and not fail too much on the others, it's already quite exceptional.

Great story, animation and sound are of course important elements for an anime. For me I find that character development is super important, the characters shouldn't have a bunch of important events thrown at them and not change at all. Chemistry between characters is also something that's really awesome to have.

Art style doesn't really matter to me that much as long as the animation is fluid. For some reason I really like anime with a great female lead character (doesn't matter if they're strong or kind of silly, I just like 'em). A good story also helps, but it doesn't have to be perfect to be enjoyable to me. Top it off with a great english dub and you've got one fine anime!

Also cute girls doing cute things

hdP9iK6.gif

Most important for me is story quality and character development. I don't like animes with stale, boring characters that just are plain bad. I can't watch anime with no story development either, i get bored pretty fast. Fan service is another big one for me. Nowadays people want good animation and art so thats one for me.

Most important for me is story quality and character development. I don't like animes with stale, boring characters that just are plain bad. I can't watch anime with no story development either, i get bored pretty fast. Fan service is another big one for me. Nowadays people want good animation and art so thats one for me.

Character developement only in story focused animes but I strongely agree.

If someone faces an issue he has to learn from it.

Kokoro connect could have been one of my favorite anime's if the characters' would have actually changed. But they stubornly act the same way they do every time. (Plus the romance was ... badly implemented).

Story (includes the script aka dialogue), character constellation (including relationships, characters, and their voice actors), music (including OST, OP & ED), animation & character design. If one of those are especially good, it can weigh for what it lacks in other departments.

#1: Plot and consistency.

if you have a story to tell, tell it. don't go somewhere with it for one or two episodes, and then take a vacation until the final one or two episodes. this is the thing that will cause me to drop an anime faster than anything else. you can build strong characters without spending 10 episodes on filler in a 12 episode series. I don't need to know how many rotations in each direction every side character brushes their teeth after every meal, or that one dude we'll never even see mentioned again one time accidently kicked a puppy and it made him sad for five minutes. stay relevant, for f***'s sake.

#2: Animation.

it's cool that you have an interesting idea and I would totally like to see it, just not like this. sometimes bad animation can make a series better. most of the time, no. the absolute worst is when a series doesn't even have animated fight scenes, just motionless sprites slapping against each other. the absolute best is the 1000 frames per second (clearly exaggerated, ftr) spider man scenes in attack on titan. every fight scene should be animated with at least that level of quality.

#3: my favorite girl doesn't end up alone and heart broken.

last and most importantly, stop kicking dirt into the best character in the series' face. every time the protag goes for the emotionless scab instead of the loving and ever loyal childhood friend, I get the urge to fly out to japan and punch a kid in the face in the high hopes that I just stopped something like this from happening irl. i'm not entirely sure how it would stop this from happening irl, but at least I would feel better.

Story and characters are crucial. If I don't care what happens, and if I'm not interested in the cast, then I'll stop following the show. Beyond that, a few less important things...

* If I know the series stops 1) abruptly, 2) with a contrived ending, or 3) if it's not clear whether the series will end well, I'll be reluctant to watch the series.

* I will usually skip filler/recap episodes unless they're humorous.

* If there are at least some relevant adult characters, that helps.

* If the characters need to find X number of MacGuffins, then it should not take too long. I enjoyed the first ten or so volumes of Inuyasha, but then it started to drag.

#1: Plot and consistency.

if you have a story to tell, tell it. don't go somewhere with it for one or two episodes, and then take a vacation until the final one or two episodes. this is the thing that will cause me to drop an anime faster than anything else. you can build strong characters without spending 10 episodes on filler in a 12 episode series. I don't need to know how many rotations in each direction every side character brushes their teeth after every meal, or that one dude we'll never even see mentioned again one time accidently kicked a puppy and it made him sad for five minutes. stay relevant, for f***'s sake.

Blue Seed devoted a few early episodes to individual characters, and then went back to focusing on the main plot. Was it a timeless classic? No. But it shows the audience who's involved before the story escalates too much.

The most important element, in my opinion, is the plot the anime. Of course good animation/sound wouldn't cause harm, but if the plot of the anime is bad I won't even consider watching it. The plot needs to be well thought out without too many plot holes and should make the viewer think beyond the anime itself.