VNs Similar to These Games?

Zenophilious

Thought I might as well make a thread about this.  As a gamer, I've played a lot of games, and I've become very attached to several of them, not only because of the gameplay, but because of the world that's created in the game.  I love feeling immersed in the setting when I'm reading a book or playing a game, and these games did just that.  If there are any VNs/eroges that are similar in setting and complexity (only one gameplay similarity I'm looking for, I'll explain later), I'd greatly appreciate being told about them.  Searching blindly on the internet doesn't usually work for me  :/  As a note, I prefer games with H-scenes, but if it's good enough, I'll play it even if it doesn't have any 18+ content.

Settings/Themes Similar to:

Fallout 3 (post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland, dreary and gritty scenery, degeneration of society)  I've only really heard of one VN similar to this, Swan Song, but it's a little too rape-y for me to handle.  I can deal with a few rape scenes, but I'd prefer them to be implied if they're there at all.  If you've never played/seen Fallout 3, you can use the book The Road as an example of what I'm looking for.

Mass Effect trilogy (science fiction, multiple alien races, moral choices, shades of gray morality)  Pretty much anything like any of the games.  I especially love all of the details they have in the Codex; it really helps immerse you and make you feel that the world you're in exists.

Dragon Age: Origins (fantasy, strategy, adventuring in party of characters, multiple races, moral decisions) The strategy part is optional, I just like the sense of immersion BioWare games give their players, and DA:O was a very good example of it.  Like Mass Effect, it has a Codex with a lot of info about the world and a lot of lore.

Bioshock (false utopia, horror, mutants, government abuse of power, degeneration of society, moral decisions) Just to be clear, when I say horror, I don't mean huge amounts of gore and really disgusting death scenes, I mean the everything-is-quiet-so-I'm-safe-HOLY-FUCK-THAT-HUGE-THING-IS-COMING-AT-ME horror with creepy music and semi-disturbing characters that are quite possibly insane.  Doesn't have to be underwater, I don't really care about that.  If at all possible, I'd like to avoid the horribly gory VNs, as I have a very weak stomach, and don't particularly want to have to go running for the bathroom while reading a VN.

Those are all the settings I can think of right now.  I'll add more later if I think of them.

Gameplay Similar to:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (fantasy, turn-based combat with parties, strategy, multiple classes, multiple races, insanely hard boss fights)  I love this game.  I played it so much as a kid.  If anyone has any VNs similar to it, I will love you forever and ever.  Just to be clear, I'm not talking about RTS games.  I'm hilariously bad at those.

---

Thanks for checking this thread out, and if you posted any suggestions, you are amazing and have earned my eternal gratitude.

EDIT: Forgot to include a list of the VNs I've already played.  Fate/stay night is the only one that fits into the category.

VNs I already have downloaded and are on my to-do list:

•Cross Channel  •Grisaia no Kajitsu  •Tsukihime  •Kagetsu Tohya  •Kamidori Alchemy Meister  •Kanon  •Muv-Luv  •Muv-Luv Alternative  •Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo  •Tomoyo After

Well, I guess Muv-Luv is kind of similar to Mass Effect, it's also about humans fighting much more powerful aliens (at least I think that's what happens in ME, haven't played it :P) but it only takes place on Earth.

Planetarian has a post-apocalyptic setting, but you don't really get to see the degeneration of society much, mostly because there's only 2 characters in the whole game. Doesn't make it bad, though.

I don't know of anything that fits the Bioshock theme, but Sharin no Kuni certainly has government abuse of power as well as being set in an interesting society. Saya no Uta is my go-to horror VN, although it only has creepy music and insane characters, there's no HOLY-FUCK-THAT-HUGE-THING-IS-COMING. Higurashi also has a bit of horror, but that's only a part of it.

Saya no Uta is my go-to horror VN, although it only has creepy music and insane characters, there's no HOLY-FUCK-THAT-HUGE-THING-IS-COMING.

Ehhhh...Saya no Uta is a little too much in the horror direction for me.  I saw a couple of screenshots of the game, and they made me physically sick.  Not really into the whole gore scene.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.  I'll have to check out Planetarian.  Other than that, I already downloaded the VNs you suggested  :/

You might like Saya no Uta. The screens make it look like it focuses on gore and shock value, but that actually isn't the point at all It's the only horror VN I've read (and loved), though it definitely isn't for everyone.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice Saya in the previous post. Well, my recommendaiton still stands though, the gore really isn't the point - it actually is there for a whole different purpose than disgusting you with the imagery, which makes it brilliant.

Not quite sure if I should...I have very a strong gag reflex (born a preemie), so if it's as...intense...as everyone says, it might not be for me.  I'd kinda like to keep from throwing up onto my keyboard if at all possible.

It really isn't about gore and shock value?  I read a little bit of the plot, and the mental condition the protagonist is afflicted with seems like it might focus on gore a lot.

Not quite sure if I should...I have very a strong gag reflex (born a preemie), so if it's as...intense...as everyone says, it might not be for me.  I'd kinda like to keep from throwing up onto my keyboard if at all possible.

It really isn't about gore and shock value?  I read a little bit of the plot, and the mental condition the protagonist is afflicted with seems like it might focus on gore a lot.

The gore is sort of a plot point, but it is by no means the most important one.

It's more of a psychological horror than a gore fest, I'd say - but yeah, definitely not for everyone. The romance is also good, or maybe I'm just crazy. :D

If you want some VNs similar in gameplay to Tactics there's Utawarerumono though there aren't classes in the PC version. Tears to Tiara has the whole class sustem but its gameplay is kind of like an RTS, though nowhere near as massive in scale as today's and there is a "very easy" mode.

If you want games that are VN-ish then I'd reccomend Vanguard Bandits as it has routes of sorts, but that's mainly in the Empire storyline. You get to choose between two main storylines early in the game: Kingdom and Empire, provided you leveled up enough in the early battles. There is a third storyline called Ruin which is basically an omake story. It plays similar to Tactics except with giant robots. Fair warning though that on the Kingdom story you have to pay attention to managing your party's morale (check gamefaqs for tips) because if it's too low then you'll get a bad ending that will have you hurling your controller across the room.

One game that might fit as a sort of combination of your Fallout and Bioshock want is Sekien no Inganock, though that's more because of the setting than anything else. The only thing is the story's linear.

If you want some VNs similar in gameplay to Tactics there's Utawarerumono though there aren't classes in the PC version. Tears to Tiara has the whole class sustem but its gameplay is kind of like an RTS, though nowhere near as massive in scale as today's and there is a "very easy" mode.

If you want games that are VN-ish then I'd reccomend Vanguard Bandits as it has routes of sorts, but that's mainly in the Empire storyline. You get to choose between two main storylines early in the game: Kingdom and Empire, provided you leveled up enough in the early battles. There is a third storyline called Ruin which is basically an omake story. It plays similar to Tactics except with giant robots. Fair warning though that on the Kingdom story you have to pay attention to managing your party's morale (check gamefaqs for tips) because if it's too low then you'll get a bad ending that will have you hurling your controller across the room.

One game that might fit as a sort of combination of your Fallout and Bioshock want is Sekien no Inganock, though that's more because of the setting than anything else. The only thing is the story's linear.

Out of all of those, which would you recommend the most?  I have very limited space on my Parallels Windows 7 drive, I should get only one more VN right now.  I looked them all up, but I find that it's hard to get a feel for a VN from just the VNDB page.

Vanguard Bandits you can only get on PSN (doubt you want to sink money into a physical copy) or if you want to use an emulator...

Yeahhhh...I only have a PS2.  I don't know that much about emulators, and I don't think I should dabble in game emulators until I get a real Windows desktop.  It'll eat up my small amount of space if I try it now.

M'kay, thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try both of 'em after I finish Grisaia.

well you could try fire emblem series if you dont mind gameplay.

Is that for PC?  I've only heard of Fire Emblem games being on the Nintendo DS.

Fire Emblem is a Nintendo Exclusive series.

About Vanguard Bandits, made my assumption based only on Amazon prices so I just took a look at the price on ebay and you can get it for about 30 bucks there if you don't mind just getting the disk:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xvanguard+bandits&_nkw=vanguard+bandits&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Yeahhhh...I only have a PS2.  I don't know that much about emulators, and I don't think I should dabble in game emulators until I get a real Windows desktop.  It'll eat up my small amount of space if I try it now.

M'kay, thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try both of 'em after I finish Grisaia.

Is that for PC?  I've only heard of Fire Emblem games being on the Nintendo DS.

Only nintendo consoles, the latest is fire emblem awakening for the 3ds.

I have a Wii and a GameBoy Advance SP.  That's about it for Nintendo consoles.

And If mi memory don't fail me you can play FE: Blazing Swords and FE: The sacred stones on the GBA. If I remember correctly there is a prequel but never left japan.

And If mi memory don't fail me you can play FE: Blazing Swords and FE: The sacred stones on the GBA. If I remember correctly there is a prequel but never left japan.

on the wii u can play fire emblem path of radiance and goddess of dawn.

Huh, I guess I should check 'em out.  I'm assuming that since they're Nintendo games that there is a complete lack of 18+ content.

Huh, I guess I should check 'em out.  I'm assuming that since they're Nintendo games that there is a complete lack of 18+ content.

I'm afraid that's right. Still they have great stories and a awesome gameplay. That's my personal opinion of course xD

Didn't really surprise me.  Oh well, might as well check 'em out anyway.  FFTA didn't have any 18+ content in it, either, and I still love that game.  Thanks for the suggestion.

play path of radance first, goddess of dawn is the direct sequel. 

Have you ever played the zero escape series? its a VN that started in ds and the sequel was released on 3ds and vita, one of the most amazing VN I ever played and it has a very heavy atmosphere like the first bioshock.

I think there must be an ds emulator somewhere.