Running Muv Luv Alternative on Linux

Nightbane112

Hi, guys ! This is my first post. I'm making a tutorial on how to install and run Muv Luv Alternative on Linux.

As you know it, MLA installation on Windows works like a charm. This kinda unfortunate for us who use linux  :( .Recently, I have found a way to successfully install and run Muv Luv Alternative on Linux, hence the title.

Same procedures on Google+ https://plus.google.com/108196378480046305903/posts/aE5iTJ1j8dm

Currently I have tested this using :-

- OS : elementary OS Luna ( Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin) 

- Wine 1.7.12 from Wine ppa

- PlayOnLinux .deb from PlayOnLinux homepage (latest version for precise)

You can try on other linux distros if you want but I'm not sure if it will work though...  :unsure:

1) Mount the MLA .iso with Furius ISO mount. You can get this software from the software center or whatever package manager you're using

Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A21%253

2)  Next, open PlayOnLinux and select " Install a program ". If the software opens up the first time, it may take a while to sync with the online database. On the lower left corner, there should be an option "Install a non-listed program. Select it and choose next when a menu pops out.

3) Install the program in virtual drive and name it. This would isolate the program the whole system so other windows program will not get affected if your program goes haywired or crashes. ^_^ 

4 )Now choose " Install some libraries". Other games beside VNs may require the other 2 options enabled.

Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A50%253

5) You would to make the installation a 32bit one. This may allow higher compatibility with other dependencies that you would need to install later.

Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A50%253

6) Now onto the libraries or dependencies installation. Some of the files you would need to install are :

Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A51%253 Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A51%253

Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A51%253

6) Run the installer file from the folder you got the iso file. Just follow the instructions given.

Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A56%253

Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A57%253

7) Here, as you can see, the directory will have a giberish name. Rename the giberish part to muvluvalternative

Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A57%253

8) Next, proceed and let the system install MLA. After it's done, a menu will pop up. You can untick both column or untick the bottom only. Note that if you only untick the bottom, you can see whether MLA runs with all the dependencies you installed earlier. 

Screenshot+from+2014-02-21+23%253A59%253

9) After testing out if MLA works on your system, which I presumed you did, it will ask you choose a shortcut and select the exe file for it. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo for this step... since I was amazed I could make MLA work.  :P 

Anyways, the launcher file you should choose is the one with the MLA logo with giberish text.

10) As MLA has been installed on PlayOnLinux, select the MLA icon and choose "configure". In the menu, go under miscellaneous and enter the command. This is due to the rUGP engine does not launch together the VN and also to change the locale to Japanese.  Refer https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21163&iTestingId=56246

Screenshot+from+2014-02-22+14%253A26%253

11) Lastly, go to the directory and rename the giberish exe file to muvluvalternative. 

Screenshot+from+2014-02-22+14%253A26%253

Finally , Good luck to you all who are installing Muv Luv Alternative on linux ! :D  P.S. This method probably will work with other Muv Luv series too..

Really nice step by step guide I must say :) , this should be the blueprint of how to write a "Run X under Y" and other solution guides. Almost makes me thinking about writing guides in same manner for the VN tricks I know of.

Thanks a lot ! :D  It's probably due to reading many blogs and sites which show how-to's :lol: . I guessed that it would be much more easier for everyone follow the step instead of reading each line and figuring out how each step looks like  ^_^ . Anyways, I made this guide to help any other linux users (could be applied on PlayOnMac) to run this game as it was my favourite VN 

• 6 months later...