Higurashi no Naku Koro ni translation question

sion12

Hello, i am really confused about the status of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni with all the different arc and compliation, so can someone shed some light on this.

so basically Higurashi no Naku Koro ni>Kai>Rei with each containing 4 arc(rei 3 arc) and they are all translated with grahic patch?

what about the Matsuri,Kizuna, and manga arc? are they just spin off or continue the story? what order should i play them in? are they translated?

and it is critical we play Higurashi before Umineko?

thanks

"So basically Higurashi no Naku Koro ni>Kai>Rei with each containing 4 arc(rei 3 arc) and they are all translated with grahic patch?"

The order to play is Higurashi no naku koro ni and then Higurashi no naku koro ni kai. The VN for Rei has not been translated. You can play ni and kai with the PS2 patch (art patch), and there are also a few other patches on the tweaking higruashi wiki, but I don't know what exactly they do (they're not critical at any rate).

"What about the Matsuri,Kizuna, and manga arc? are they just spin off or continue the story? what order should i play them in? are they translated?"

I don't know specifically, but I would imagine that they're just extras; ni and kai have the full story, so you only have to read them... you can go looking for extras after, though.

"And it is critical we play Higurashi before Umineko?"

There are a few spoilers in Umineko of Higurashi, so I'd definitely read Higurashi first (well, they're not explicit spoilers, but I wouldn't risk it).

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni can also be referred to as the Question Arcs - there are four arcs, which are all compiled into the one VN. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai are the Answer Arcs, also compiled into one VN - they answer the mysteries raised in the Question Arcs, as the name implies.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei is just a fandisc, you don't have to read it at all.

Then there is the PS2 remake, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri (and a re-release with the subtitle Kakera Asobi), which contains both the Question Arcs and the Answer Arcs, with some changes - one of the answer arcs (Matsuribayashi-hen) has been removed, and instead, there are three new arcs, one new Question Arc and two alternative conclusions. All of these are optional, while arguably better - though none of them are translated. Also the PS2 version has voice acting and better art.

As for Umineko, yes, I'd recommend reading Higurashi first - there are certain characters from Higurashi that appear in Umineko, so it'll give you more backstory.

Oh yeah, the DS releases, Kizuna, are a re-release of the original arcs along with some bonus ones, if I'm not mistaken - but again, you won't find these translated.

thanks for clearifying because it confused the heck out of me when they say Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is translated i have no idea if they are they talking about the first arc only or the compliation of first four arc.

i already saw the anime of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni(long long time ago) so i remember bits and have a basic idea of what going on like timelop and puple hair is a witch etc but is it still recommended to play umineko first? because i already started umineko so if it is only very loosely connected then i want to play umineko first but if its like some kind of eplogue or final farewell to previouse characters then i will will read higurashi first i guess

thanks for clearifying because it confused the heck out of me when they say Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is translated i have no idea if they are they talking about the first arc only or the compliation of first four arc.

i already saw the anime of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni(long long time ago) so i remember bits and have a basic idea of what going on like timelop and puple hair is a witch etc but is it still recommended to play umineko first? because i already started umineko so if it is only very loosely connected then i want to play umineko first but if its like some kind of eplogue or final farewell to previouse characters then i will will read higurashi first i guess

Oh, no, not at all. You can read Umineko without any knowledge of Higurashi at all, they aren't that closely tied. You'll mostly just miss some references and ties that could give you a new perspective on Higurashi as a whole, but it's certainly not required. The characters this applies to are more on the sidelines, with the most important ones being mostly detached from it completely. :)

That said, if you've only seen the anime, you would probably miss most of the things even if you remembered all of the scenes either way - the one character that explicitly appears in both Umineko and Higurashi was left out of the anime completely.

If you don't want to wait, you might just as well read the manga. From what I've read of it (Onikakushi-hen, Watanagashi-hen, Meakashi-hen and Minagoroshi-hen), they did a better job at adapting the story than the anime at the very least, and you won't really be missing much from the sound novel either, as the soundtrack is mediocre at best.

Kai's soundtrack is very highly regarded with many beautiful songs (though many were cut for the mangagamer release and they replaced the entire soundtrack for the question arcs)

Yeah, I was referring to the MG release, which was just horrendous all-around.

Kai has some nice tracks-- and Matsuri's opening is still one of my favourite VN OP songs. :)

There is a music patch for both the question arcs and Kai but... it only replaces Mangagamer's new tracks with the original ones, . The cut tracks in Kai were replaced with other tracks from Kai and not new ones and are therefore not easily replaced since you can't just insert another track in its place. So the music patch for Kai only covers the tracks from the question arcs that were also used in Kai sadly.

Though all the patches are going to have to be remade for the retranslation anyway since it's getting ported to a new engine (I think its made by Doddler for Mangagamer especially). Hopefully that engine will be more easy to handle so we finally can get a complete music patch.

hmmm i think i am going to finish the Higurashi first but can anyone give me links to the Sound patch? the wiki links are dead and did anyone add in ps2 voice into the pc version?

also can you change the screen size? it is too small and it stretch when it is full screen

hmmm i think i am going to finish the Higurashi first but can anyone give me links to the Sound patch? the wiki links are dead and did anyone add in ps2 voice into the pc version?

also can you change the screen size? it is too small and it stretch when it is full screen

There's no voice patch as far as I know. What you could do, though, is read both the PC and PS2 version at the same time. It's inconvenient, but since the text is mostly the same (except for the choice system and the new arcs), it is a possibility.

I wouldn't recommend doing that since Matsuribayashi-hen isn't in Matsuri. (Though it does exist in Kizuna, though I'm pretty sure that's only partially voiced)

It will be VERY anticlimactic to read arc 1-7 with voices and then have to read the final one without. Most of the patches should be available on the wiki

I wonder if it's really that hard to hack in the new tracks, honestly... probably just the people doing the project getting lazy // which is fine, but still

From what I have heard the tools availble for the version of BGI that Higurashi runs on aren't very reliable. (though I may be wrong) The problem isn't getting the tracks inside the game. The problem is that the references calling for the track needs to be changed. There are probably people who can do that but its harder than just replacing the tracks.

I wouldn't recommend doing that since Matsuribayashi-hen isn't in Matsuri. (Though it does exist in Kizuna, though I'm pretty sure that's only partially voiced)

It will be VERY anticlimactic to read arc 1-7 with voices and then have to read the final one without. Most of the patches should be available

Yeah, that's a good point.

SkippingMatsuribayashicouldbetakenasthebetterthingtodothough