Do you read VN first or do you watch anime first? Why?

Okami

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read VN first or do you watch anime first?

• I watch Anime First
    • I read VN first
    • 50%-50%

This poll is closed to new votes

When there are both Anime and VN versions of same title wath do you go for first? And wath are your reason for doing so?

In my case I always watch Anime first becouse VN version is usuly a lot longer and has more story, events then anime version, it also has alternative/multiple routes so after I watch anime I still have new things to get from reading VN. But if I ware to read VN first I wouldn't have mutch to look foward to in Anime exept the way they adepted it, and I would usuly be disapointed becouse I would know how mutch they have left out and becouse of it it would feel more like I am watching summary of story I allredy know then a whole story.

It depends. Usually I'll choose just one and stick with it. Especially if the adaptation is very close to the original. I also think that it's too boring when you already know the story and you have to watch/read it again. Another reason is to avoid spoilers, if you watch the anime it will have all the major twists in it and there won't be any reason to play the vn.

For example I didn't want to watch the Steins;Gate anime because I wanted to read the vn. After finishing the vn I wasn't interested in the anime, it was boring because I already knew what's going on.

On the other hand if I don't have the time to read something and the anime is a good alternative I will watch the anime. Kanon 2006 is very close the it's source material and reading it will take a long time so I would prefer to watch the anime instead. Something Little Busters I would prefer to read than watch.

So it just depends on personal preference I guess.

I always read the VN first...

The main reason is that since anime usually leave out small things to save time, change the plot a little to better fit the medium, and/or if it is a romance that originally had multiple routes, animes will usually compress it into a single ending.

The second thing is that VNs usually has much more in the way of information...

Prefer reading the VN first although I've watched Clannad, Kanon and Air way before I was interested in VNs. Amagami as well I think. The reason is simple, I feel watching the anime first spoils a lot of things, watching the anime after finishing the VN could be seen as a recap or something.

Edit: Forgot that I also watched Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head before getting into VNs as well. (S;G is my favorite anime as well)

Mmm... it is pretty rare for me not to have already seen the anime when I get to the VN, and I usually can't bring myself to watch the anime for moege I play.  I'm more likely to see the anime first (by chance) simply because I won't even see the anime at all if I play the VN first in most cases.

VN first, always (though in many cases I have watched the anime first because the VN wasn't translated yet)  Watching the anime first takes out the element of surprise for the VN, and a lot of VNs are very long windy and badly paced which makes it extremely important that there is some element of surprise. For the anime there will always be an element of surprise. Because seeing your favorite scenes animated is always enjoyable, even if the adaption itself is bad.

Related question: are there any prominent series that have both a VN and anime where the anime is widely considered to be superior? Or is the rule generally that the VN will be more fleshed out and just take longer to get through?

There are maybe a few exceptions, but they are very rare, in 99% case is that VN is longer and has more story to offer than Anime as VNs are in general a lot longer than the Anime. Now that is a fact, however, to discuss what is superior VN or Anime we would need one more topic and I believe there would be quite a few disagreements there as to discuss this there are a lot of points to be taken in consideration and while some of them are facts some are more matter of subjectivity.

Reading the VN first is comparable to reading a book before seeing a movie. I would expect a lot of people, for example, would read the Harry Potter series before seeing the films, but that's just me. The same is true for a VN. While it is nice to watch the characters come to life in an anime, I like to make comparisons. The visual novel has everything in it, whereas the anime will shorten scenes or remove things they don't find necessary, sometimes removing the best parts of the VN. Take the example in the Little Busters! when they don't play kick the can. I would have loved to see that scene come alive.

I watch the anime 1st, basically for the same reasons Okami gave at the top.  But I'll state for the record that I'm really an anime fan, so anime _always_ has top priority:  don't be misled by my only having a VNDB entry, my anime list is already so large that I can't bring myself to put it on MAL, which has no way to import from a spreadsheet.

I watch the anime 1st, basically for the same reasons Okami gave at the top.  But I'll state for the record that I'm really an anime fan, so anime _always_ has top priority:  don't be misled by my only having a VNDB entry, my anime list is already so large that I can't bring myself to put it on MAL, which has no way to import from a spreadsheet.

I'm sure you can make do with transferring it to MAL as my friend has over 900 entries on his list lol.

I read the book first and foremost before a movie so I would do the same for anime. 

Though, I don't think I've seen any anime that was a VN first, except Air which hasn't been translated fully yet so yeah.

I think they're making Grisaia an anime since I saw it on MAL but until they do, that VN is on hold.

Reading the VN first is comparable to reading a book before seeing a movie. I would expect a lot of people, for example, would read the Harry Potter series before seeing the films, but that's just me. The same is true for a VN. While it is nice to watch the characters come to life in an anime, I like to make comparisons. The visual novel has everything in it, whereas the anime will shorten scenes or remove things they don't find necessary, sometimes removing the best parts of the VN. Take the example in the Little Busters when they don't play kick the can. I would have loved to see that scene come alive.

Yup, it is the same, actually exact book that you mentioned was the reason I decided to always watch Movie before reading a book, as I have watched HP movies 1-4 before reading a book, I liked them so I have read a book that I liked even more. But then I have read HP books 5-6 before watching a movie and because of it I totally disliked movies. Same was with LOTR movies and books. And after that I decided to always watch movies before reading a book as I can still enjoy reading a book after watching a movie, but I can't enjoy a movie after I read a book. And now it is the same with VNs and Anime.

I haven't really watched an anime of a VN, but I'd do exactly what I'd do with manga and their anime adaptions.  Read the original story, then get to the anime.  They love to change plot details in the anime, and that just pisses me off *coughcoughFullMetalAlchemistcoughcough*

Besides, the anime will most likely just choose one route.  Only getting part of the story first is lame.