Can I upgrade to Win8 and still play VNs?

So I have Windows 8 and I'm not going to lie, Win8 sucks for Vn's.

It adds trouble BUT most of the Vn's end up working on it.

If you do that I would still advise you to download a virtual machine with XP for example to run the few ones that do not work well on Win8 (Cf. ever17 for me)

So it's okay to upgrade to Win8, you are just going to have a little more trouble sometimes.

I can't give you an exact list though, and you'll most likely run one day into problems no one had before :P

Basically what maefdomn said. I have windows 8 and it runs key vns, Steins;Gate, Tsukihime series, and F/SN so I'm assuming that most of the other vns work fine.

I have no idea for 8.1 since I'm scared to upgrade to it. When I installed the preview, it broke Grisaia. (Can someone with 8.1 tell me if it's safe to upgrade or not?)

Windows 8.1 is pretty much the same as plain 8 when it comes to compatibility with older vns. Grisaia should work on 8.1 though.

If people really have the weird urge to "upgrade" to Windows 8+ then the best bet would be as maefdomn said: have a virtual machine ready for the vns that won't work.

I'm currently using Windows 8 right now to play games and VNs. I can say that all apps that works with 7 runs fine here. The key is to disable the annonying UAC (User Account Control) that shoves alert windows in your face everytime you open up something that requires higher privileges. UAC somewhat breaks apps that doesn't support it like most old games. Compatability mode also helps as I use it to run Battle Realms when my cousins come over =D

But, I recommend NOT upgrading to 8.1 because I had various issues with it even when using compatability mode and UAC turned off. I cannot run Age of Empires 3, Battle Realms, Starcraft and some other old games like in 8. Old games also break DWM(Windows Aero) until I restart the PC.

iam using 8.1 since its a requirement at my school to have the latest version of windows running.

but for me most games and vn's just work fine and that includes age of empires 3.

and so far i havent really noticed any problems beside the regular occuring stuff that anyone gets.