Hello there

Yokodera

Welcome to Fuwanovel!  We've got a friendly group -- don't hesitate to ask questions or PM a moderator if you need anything.  

A lot of good questions have been asked.  I'll ask: what's your favorite color (and why)?

My favorite color hmmmmm.... maybe white? If it counts as a color xD idk why it's because it's somehow pure (^ ^)

I hope you liked them lolis! ... And welcome to the forums!

How's that Japanese studying going? I learned through VNs as well.

I like them very much! Thank you!

It's going okay so far just learned the whole hiragana and half of the katakana. Thats nice to hear (^ ^) how long did you needed to learn Japanese to start playing Japanese VN's?

It's going okay so far just learned the whole hiragana and half of the katakana. Thats nice to hear (^ ^) how long did you needed to learn Japanese to start playing Japanese VN's?

Of course how fast until you can read a VN depends on many many factors. In my experience, I jumped right away into reading a standard VN after a couple of preparations.

These preparations include:

Hiragana and Katakana

Over 100 Basic Kanjis - mostly for the concept of Onyomi-Kunyomi, how a kanji is used in the sentence; how they are combined to form a compound.

Most of "basic" grammar, for this I had bought a book about 150+~ something patterns for basic communications. You're looking to learn sentence order, and interactions between the words. You'd want basic grammar covered including particles, compound particles, adverbs, etc. Look to learn concepts over "specifics" and "exceptions"

Then I went ahead straight into a VN setup with AGTH (now you'd use ITH) coupled with JWpce (a dictionary). I literally would read a sentence for minutes by putting each and every word into the dictionary. Obviously at first this takes a lot of time. But you would notice an improvement in reading speed (as you'd be making sure you get the hiragana/katakana right), the voiced dialogues help a lot in this. Eventually I figured out how the words are parsed, and how to properly use the dictionary.

Technical details aside,

I had started learning hira/kata, and basic kanji my senior yr. of High school. The next few months after that I started grammar. Then I had a summer without any obligations (no work, no school). That's when I put my time into learning from the VN. I learned words, grammar, spoken dialogues from it. From here, it's all about looking stuff up.

It's all about how much of your free time you're willing to put into learning and execution. If I were to give you an approximate, I'd say it takes one summer amount of time (without work and school) of execution to get going. Once you get started on the system though, you can take that method all the way to advanced japanese (and just supplement with other material).

PS: It took me about a year~ ish to finish my first Japanese VN. All three routes.

Of course how fast until you can read a VN depends on many many factors. In my experience, I jumped right away into reading a standard VN after a couple of preparations.

These preparations include:

Hiragana and Katakana

Over 100 Basic Kanjis - mostly for the concept of Onyomi-Kunyomi, how a kanji is used in the sentence; how they are combined to form a compound.

Most of "basic" grammar, for this I had bought a book about 150+~ something patterns for basic communications. You're looking to learn sentence order, and interactions between the words. You'd want basic grammar covered including particles, compound particles, adverbs, etc. Look to learn concepts over "specifics" and "exceptions"

Then I went ahead straight into a VN setup with AGTH (now you'd use ITH) coupled with JWpce (a dictionary). I literally would read a sentence for minutes by putting each and every word into the dictionary. Obviously at first this takes a lot of time. But you would notice an improvement in reading speed (as you'd be making sure you get the hiragana/katakana right), the voiced dialogues help a lot in this. Eventually I figured out how the words are parsed, and how to properly use the dictionary.

Technical details aside,

I had started learning hira/kata, and basic kanji my senior yr. of High school. The next few months after that I started grammar. Then I had a summer without any obligations (no work, no school). That's when I put my time into learning from the VN. I learned words, grammar, spoken dialogues from it. From here, it's all about looking stuff up.

It's all about how much of your free time you're willing to put into learning and execution. If I were to give you an approximate, I'd say it takes one summer amount of time (without work and school) of execution to get going. Once you get started on the system though, you can take that method all the way to advanced japanese (and just supplement with other material).

PS: It took me about a year~ ish to finish my first Japanese VN. All three routes.

Thank you for all the great info! I will try to do the things you mentioned. Ok i will look up to learn concepts over specifics and exceptions. I need to get a dictionary too.

Right now i have a good amount of free time, so i will try my best to spend my free time into learning japanese.

Nice i thought so it will take about 1 - 2 years. Thank you again for all the info (^ ^)/

Thank you for all the great info! I will try to do the things you mentioned. Ok i will look up to learn concepts over specifics and exceptions. I need to get a dictionary too.

Right now i have a good amount of free time, so i will try my best to spend my free time into learning japanese.

Nice i thought so it will take about 1 - 2 years. Thank you again for all the info (^ ^)/

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to message me or contact me at skype: rains90

Mine took a little over 2 years... needed dem kanji and expressions skills besides the normal stuff to actually enjoy a Japanese VN.

Mine took a little over 2 years... needed dem kanji and expressions skills besides the normal stuff to actually enjoy a Japanese VN.

Thats nice (^ ^) i thought i will need around 2+ years too to really know and enjoy to read Japanese VN's without any struggle. Because i am slow at learning but i try my best i want to play alot of good VN's without the wait for translations. 

Hohoho, fellow lolicon from Germany. xD Let's get along well, mate. I see you are already working hard on your JP as well, keep it up. 8D

Yeah let's get along! Yes i am dedicating my free time most on learning Japanese for now (^ ^) Thank you very much! ~~ \(^ ^)/