Would this game interest you? (First alpha out!)

Flutterz

I would like to sell it, so if when it's done I have a solid game on my hands, I'll consider paying for art and will then sell it. But if it ends up being mediocre I'll just do the art myself as best as I can and it will be freeware.

I thought you were making this as a freeware. How do you plan on knowing if it will sell? If you really need funding you could make an early simple beta, present it on /vg/ roguelikes thread and then make a kickstarter asking for money for art and graphical design expenses...

If people like it then the money will come... or maybe that's just wishful thinking. :unsure:

Never played a dungeon crawler in my life.

But since this is from a fuwa member i'd give it a try if not even to show support. And i might enjoy it as well.

Good luck on making this happen~

I thought you were making this as a freeware. How do you plan on knowing if it will sell? If you really need funding yu could make an early simple beta, present it on /vg/ roguelikes thread and then make a kickstarter asking for money for art and graphical design expenses...

I'll make a basic demo once I have the basics working, and that'll certainly help me find out if anyone would be willing to buy it. I'll sell it cheap, no more than $10, probably $5, and if it doesn't sell, well, it doesn't sell. Thankfully I'm not in a position where selling a game or not determines whether or not I'll have food on the table.

I might do the kickstarter thing, but as I've said the art is the last thing I'll worry about. 

I've never actually played a game like this so I really don't know what to say.  :P

What about the story behind this because that's important when making a game and also I need to know how this game will present itself, sorry but I'm the kind of person who would like a visual aid first before I make any statements, you know paint me a picture. If you give my some idea about this game than I might give it a look see to show my support. Well I wish you the best of luck on your project and I hope it deems successful.

Maybe you can give me a sneak peek at a character design.  ;)

I've never actually played a game like this so I really don't know what to say.  :P

What about the story behind this because that's important when making a game and also I need to know how this game will present itself, sorry but I'm the kind of person who would like a visual aid first before I make any statements, you know paint me a picture. If you give my some idea about this game than I might give it a look see to show my support. Well I wish you the best of luck on your project and I hope it deems successful.

Maybe you can give me a sneak peek at a character design.  ;)

Roguelikes generally don't have much in the way of story, and often don't have much in the way of character design either. The vast majority of the focus is on the game's mechanics - the combat, the loot etc.

Here's a screenshot of one of the games that inspired me:

2wqv7gl.jpg

Guest hairybumslapper

So you have experience in computer programming for stuff like this? Or are you just using an application that you project your ideas onto, and does it for you? Either way, I'll still play the crap out of it when you release it, as it sounds like it has some decent game mechanics. You should release a demo or beta here on fuwa, so we can give some constructive feedback on things that we like, and what you can fix and improve on in the full release to get the most out of it.

So you have experience in computer programming for stuff like this? Or are you just using an application that you project your ideas onto, and does it for you? Either way, I'll still play the crap out of it when you release it. It sounds like it has some decent game mechanics. You should release a demo or beta here on fuwa, so we can give some constructive feedback on things that we like, and what you can fix and improve on in the full release to get the most out of it.

I do have experience in programming for stuff like this and I'm using GameMaker partially because I have the most experience in it. It only does very basic things for you, anything even remotely complicated you need to do yourself.

Fuwa will be the first place I post when I have something playable ready. ;)

It does sound interesting, I've never played this genre before but will it have a cg when you meet the princess?

Most likely no, the graphics will be fairly minimal and since the idea is that each hero rescues a different princess, making a few slightly different sprites for variety's sake is easy, but making a few different CGs for variety is much more complicated.

Alrighty~

At the rate I'm going I'll have the dungeon crawling component done by the end of the week. The movement and normal attacking work fine, enemies (of which there is a grand total of 1, but it's easy to add new ones as long as I don't give them special abilities, in which case it's a bit more complicated) work fine, picking up items, moving them around in your inventory and equipping/unequipping/using them works, and I've made a few basic spells and am currently working on the UI component of spells. I want to have a spellbook from which you can either directly cast any spell, or assign a spell to a quick-cast slot, so that you don't have to open the spellbook every time you want to cast them.

Only thing is the graphics are terrible right now, there isn't a single sprite I've spent more than a minute on drawing, and the UI is built for 1920x1080 only, so fullscreen only works on monitors that support that resolution (it doesn't have to be the native resolution, but it does have to support it), and while windowed will work on any monitor, everything will be scaled down and look even worse than it already does.

Ignore the numbers, they're for testing.

:ph34r:

67099_crapgamecrapscreen.png

Sadly once classes resume next week I won't be able to work nearly as fast as I am right now, the only reason why I've managed to get so much done is that it's pretty much the only thing I've been doing since Friday. :P

Edit: Oh, and the whole point of this post, which I forgot to mention, is that I'll most likely upload the first alpha on Friday. :)

Alright, so most of the core stuff is ready, I've even added support for a ton of different resolutions from 1024x720 all the way up to 2560x1600 (by the way, if anyone has a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 monitor I'd especially appreciate your input because I can't test those resolutions myself), I'll be adding a few miscellaneous things such as enemy and item variety tomorrow and putting together a tutorial level, and once that's done I'll release the first alpha. :)

If you want to try it tell me, and I'll send you a PM when it's ready. Just don't expect anything mind-blowing, I haven't even started adding the genetics thing. :P

Sorry for the late post, but yes, I'd be very interested in your game  :3  I've a fan of roguelikes and rogue-lites.  I played The Binding of Isaac for a long time; I got to Isaac (boss) before getting extremely frustrated and ragequitting for a while.  I've also played Rogue Legacy, FTL: Faster Than Light (yet another game that made me curse the heavens in rage), and Don't Starve, and I want to get Risk of Rain sometime in the future.  Sorry if you've already answered this before, but will it be a traditional roguelike, where any progress you've completed in the past will have no effect on future games (e.g. no unlocks or anything), or will it be more of a rogue-lite (like Rogue Legacy, you unlock new content and even though permadeath is present, you can still progress afterwards)?  Just wondering.

I'd be interested in playing the alpha.  Will I be able to run it on my Mac, or should I run it on Parallels Windows 7?

If you downloaded the game before you might want to redownload it, I've (hopefully) fixed a bug with using the Daze spell on the last enemy on the map, as well as made the game ask if you actually want to quit when you press escape and hotkeyed Inventory and Spells to I and O. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...