Would this game interest you? (First alpha out!)

Flutterz

My brain is pretty much fried from working on a game all day. So before I go sleep, I'm curious if any of you would even be interested in what I'm trying to make?

Here's the idea: a 2D turn-based rogue-lite dungeon crawler, where rather than having one character you have a bloodline of characters, sort of like Rogue Legacy. However unlike RL, your main goal is to rescue a princess from a dungeon to be able to continue your bloodline. Both you and the princesses have a set of genes, such as "Str" or "Int", which determine the stats of your descendant (higher values are more dominant). But while you can see both of your genes for a stat, for example your "Str" genes are 50/30, making your actual Str 50 because 30 is lower and therefore recessive, you can only see the princess' stats, ie you only know her dominant genes, when you pick a princess to rescue, so if her Str stat is 50 you'd only see her "Str" genes as 50/? when in reality she might be 50/20. So your descendant would have an equal chance of his "Str" genes being 50/50, 50/30. 50/20, or 30/20.

That's the basic concept, does that sound interesting to you?

And I'm going to make it regardless of what people say, so feel free to be brutally honest. :P

the concept is good the idea of rescueing a princes is okay i geus.

lets leave the note aside that the protag will be either raping or seducing the princess to have kids wih.

the idea of having to make the player do multiple reruns of the game to achive better stats is good but add stuff like normal adventuring.

the concept is good the idea of rescueing a princes is okay i geus.

lets leave the note aside that the protag will be either raping or seducing the princess to have kids wih.

the idea of having to make the player do multiple reruns of the game to achive better stats is good but add stuff like normal adventuring.

The idea is that she falls in love at first sight of her rescuer. :P

And yeah, after you complete a dungeon to guarantee you have offspring (if you die before that you lose) you can go adventuring into more dungeons for loot, but at any point you can retire and spend the time you would otherwise spend adventuring with your son to train him.

so your (future player) son can be trained or will he just be non-existent and only appear in text and stuff.

also you might or might not wanna add the option of being a girl.

for the heck of it. make them futa or something to have offspring no one cares about minor details anyway

Like some sort of hodgepodge mixture of Atlus' Conception and Rogue Legacy?

I...want this. I really want this. Make this. You no longer have a choice.

I haven't played Conception but that sounds about right. Just keep in mind that this is my first game and it probably won't live up to your expectations. :P

so your (future player) son can be trained or will he just be non-existent and only appear in text and stuff.

also you might or might not wanna add the option of being a girl.

for the heck of it. make them futa or something to have offspring no one cares about minor details anyway

There will be very little story and the characters will just be stats and equipment, but since you can't just inherit skills like you do stats, skills need to be trained. The way I'm thinking I'll do this is you will have some number of experience to spend on skills, and for every ancestor that knew that skill, it will be cheaper. So the first hero that learns fireball will have to spend 200 exp to learn it, his son will need to spend 190 exp, and his son will need to spend 180 exp and so on. And if you spend time training your son instead of adventuring he gets more exp.

As for the girl thing, I'm planning on making it so that you can either always be male, always be female or randomly switch between the two, and it wouldn't affect the gameplay at all, you'd just be rescuing princes if you're female. :D

Take a look at Crusader Kings II genetics system (also, this article and this also) to get some ideas. More than stats, a group of traits and a series of events in which you can know about the childhood of the future hero would add a lot more flavour. Take a look at the game and play it... one of the best strategy games ever made.

If you make it party based instead of solo I'd be very happy.

I spent too much time with Rogue Legacy xD

What I liked there is that often times you had no "good" choice for your character and that random element is what makes roguelikes interesting, so maybe you shouldn't know any stats of the princess you are rescuing.

Also what if you don't get to the princess, is that like the death part? And rescuing one princess is one floor of an endless dungeon? That sounds interesting, final princess on level 100 can be Mare :P

I take it that the dungeon will be procedurally generated and items randomized and all that basic stuff?

Actually what I would like to see is a better "progression" system than was in RL, there I in the end had like year 4000 but I didn't move from swords. This could be both rewarding and challenging, having the later generations have different stages of development, for example the game would start with simple tools but once you rescue a princess, you would wait for the offspring like 30 years so at level 100 it would be 3000 years later and the technology would have evolved to sci-fi style by then.

So for example start with simple stone spears and items like that, then later get to swords and armor, then like Flintock pistols, then bullet guns like the modern guns and later laser/plasma technology like sc-ifi or even lightsabers :)

Btw how much game dev experience do you have?

What I liked there is that often times you had no "good" choice for your character and that random element is what makes roguelikes interesting, so maybe you shouldn't know any stats of the princess you are rescuing.

Also what if you don't get to the princess, is that like the death part? And rescuing one princess is one floor of an endless dungeon? That sounds interesting, final princess on level 100 can be Mare :P

I take it that the dungeon will be procedurally generated and items randomized and all that basic stuff?

Actually what I would like to see is a better "progression" system than was in RL, there I in the end had like year 4000 but I didn't move from swords. This could be both rewarding and challenging, having the later generations have different stages of development, for example the game would start with simple tools but once you rescue a princess, you would wait for the offspring like 30 years so at level 100 it would be 3000 years later and the technology would have evolved to sci-fi style by then.

So for example start with simple stone spears and items like that, then later get to swords and armor, then like Flintock pistols, then bullet guns like the modern guns and later laser/plasma technology like sc-ifi or even lightsabers :)

While I would have likely tried the game anyway, if you managed to pull this off, I'd be excited to try it. Evolving tech over time would be really neat. The only issue would be in the enemies. They would need to also evolve so that new weapons aren't OP. 

Btw how much game dev experience do you have?

I want the player to have some control over the possible stats of their ancestor, but not complete control. I mean, even if you knew all of her stats, it's still random which genes you get.

If you don't save the princess you either have to start all over again, but I'm thinking about having an easy difficulty where you can just reroll your hero. And I don't want to have the player playing one hero for too long, so I think I'll make it so that you can run 3 more dungeons after rescuing the princess. They'll (hopefully) be procedurally generated along with the items and the stats of the enemies, based on the level of the dungeon.

That's an interesting idea, I might do something like that later on, but it seems it'd be most superficial.

Edit: Oh, and like I said, this is my first game. I've made a few things as a hobby before but nothing good enough to show anyone.

While I would have likely tried the game anyway, if you managed to pull this off, I'd be excited to try it. Evolving tech over time would be really neat. The only issue would be in the enemies. They would need to also evolve so that new weapons aren't OP. 

The way I want to do it is rather than have a level which determines your stats and skills, your stats and skills determine your level and the same goes for princesses. So if you pick a dungeon with a lower level, you'll easily kill everything in it but the princess you get will have lower stats which means your son will also have lower stats.

Don't mind me too much this since this are ideas I spew out. Not something I'm really asking you to put on your game.

This would make the game more complicated to code but a "technology research" section would be a nice addition. Basically, the world (dungeons) advances automatically but you have to research and find new discoveries in weaponry and wizardry.

Obviously, when you marry a princess you won't have only a child so you can assign others members of your family or people you meet in your adventures different background tasks like:

- A diplomat: Get to know other dungeons and people who can help you on your research or unlock hidden paths in dungeons.

- A treasurer/merchant: Someone who can boost the benefits of stuff you find on dungeons or can appraise unknown stuff you find on dungeons.

- A blacksmith/alchemist: researches new weapons or improves the ones you have.

- A sage/magician: interprets runes or old manuscripts which can unlock new magic or technologies.

Managing well this background tasks would be neccesary to get stuff to advance or finding great princesses.

Basically you'd be kind of a nomadic tribe who lives of looting dungeons and saving princesses. You could even work as mercenaries and have contacts on the biggest courts of the continent. haha

Don't mid too much this since this are ideas I spew out. Not something I'm really asking you to put on your game.

This would make the game more complicated to code but a "technology research" section would be a nice addition. Basically, the world (dungeons) advances automatically but you have to research and find new discoveries in weaponry and wizardry.

Obviously, when you marry a princess you won't have only a child so you can assign others members of your family or people you meet in your adventures different background tasks like:

- A diplomat: Get to know other dungeons and people who can help you on your research or unlock hidden paths in dungeons.

- A treasurer/merchant: Someone who can boost the benefits of stuff you find on dungeons or can appraise unknown stuff you find on dungeons.

- A blacksmith/alchemist: researches new weapons or improves the ones you have.

- A sage/magician: interprets runes or old manuscripts which can unlock new magic or technologies.

Basically you'd be kind of a nomadic tribe who lives of looting dungeons and saving princesses. You could even work as mercenaries and have contacts on the biggest courts of the continent. haha

I do appreciate ideas, but I've already thought of ways to do a few of those things. There would be a blacksmith family in the village and giving him any extra loot you get would improve his ability to make that kind of item. As for improving weapons I want to have a risk/reward system. Some dungeons would be marked as enchanting dungeons, which would have one of a limited number of enchanting altars. Once you get to the altar you can enchant an item, but an item can only be enchanted once on every altar, so if you want to get a super op sword you can't just revisit the lowest-level altar. And the risk is that enchanted items need to be passed down to your ancestor, so if you go into a dungeon and die the equipment you had will be retrieved, but it will no longer be enchanted because you didn't pass it down so the enchantment doesn't accept the new user.

Of course once I actually get to making this I might settle for a different system, but that's the idea I came up with and it seems pretty balanced to me.

Yeah the random enchant once per altar like in dungeons of dredmor, that could work.

But don't forget that even though having these cool mechanics is nice, the most important part of roguelike is the amount of content there is, thousands of randomly generated items with random effects, like you find a wand and you have no idea what it does before you use it, it can harm you, it can transform you into a sheep, it can do the same to the enemy.

That was one of the flaws of RL, there was very few items, most of it was straight upgrade and not much change of stats (only few like the vampiric set) and the runes weren't that interesting either and most of the randomness came from the random stats and the different classes and random spell.

It could get away with it because it was more like a platformer and it wasn't turn based so simple combat was enough to make it interesting, but if its a turn based it needs to have as little repetitive stuff as possible and will require lot of random items, potions, weapons and all.

I am big roguelike guy and this is whats interesting for me. Also remember that people who play roguelikes are masochists that like random suffering so screwing players over with shitty stats out of nowhere is actually a good thing about the game, make the most beautiful princess have the shittiest stats that you cannot even properly use sword with, for example and you drop it half of the time - thats the kind of experience I want from my roguelikes :) Also opening random door and suddenly facing 1000 enemies is fun too (monster zoo xD), lot of traps and such :)

This sounds cool, but you're rescuing a princess and you have children? That means you can't play as a girl. Let us play as a girl or else we riot.

Sounds pretty cool... reminds me of breeding pokemon. You could do what they do, give us an everstone to transfer over nature to offspring (if you have anything like that.) Or maybe the Destiny Knot to pass down more stats from the parents to the offspring (Pokemon X and Y does 5 random ones of the 6 different stats.) I've only seen people play Rogue Legacy and it looked neat.

Who'll be doing the art? or ot will be only stats and numbers?

I'll try my hand at the art once I've done everything else (using placeholders meanwhile) and if I can't make anything that doesn't make me want to claw my eyes out I'll either go look for some royalty free art or see if anyone is willing to make some for free. If not those, I'll have to commission some art. But most of the art will just be tiles for the terrain, mobs and such, I don't plan on having any large images of things.

Edit:

This sounds cool, but you're rescuing a princess and you have children? That means you can't play as a girl. Let us play as a girl or else we riot.

Sounds pretty cool... reminds me of breeding pokemon. You could do what they do, give us an everstone to transfer over nature to offspring (if you have anything like that.) Or maybe the Destiny Knot to pass down more stats from the parents to the offspring (Pokemon X and Y does 5 random ones of the 6 different stats.) I've only seen people play Rogue Legacy and it looked neat.

I might have something for guaranteeing stats get passed on, but if I do it will be very rare/expensive etc.

Wait a moment, are you doing this for your own amusement or to sell it?  I wouldn't think of paying someone for art if I were making a freeware game...

I would like to sell it, so if when it's done I have a solid game on my hands, I'll consider paying for art and will then sell it. But if it ends up being mediocre I'll just do the art myself as best as I can and it will be freeware.