For Love of VNs: For Beginners

Clephas

It is about the same level as Devils Devel Concept.  So it is fairly difficult... Akagoei as a trilogy varies between 4 and 7, whereas Jingai is a constant 6-8.  During the narrative portions, it tends to stick to 8, and even the dialogue is a bit tricky (the protagonist's manner of speaking and choice of words).

um, sasuga clephas, is what should i say? :wahaha:

btw what about hello lady!   ?

i find hello lady harder than akagoei.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the list. Forgive me if you already answered this but are you considering ease of grammer in these rankings? Its not that I don't know any japanese grammer. just that I'm not  beyond basic flashcard level or introductory textbook grammer.

I deliberately avoided the ones with unusual grammar.  The narration in even the hardest of these is straight literary Japanese, without the excessive poetic flair that tends to make others difficult.

Edit: Understand, I picked out this list for solid plots (within reason) combined with being readable to someone who is relatively new to VNs in Japanese.  That's why it is a beginner's list.  If you want to challenge yourself, pick the Tiny Dungeon series, but if you just want something easy, I'd probably suggest Love Revenge, because it is both easy and relatively short, while being about as interesting as a bare-bones charage can be.

what about air?im reading it both in japanese and english and I must say that the misuzu's route was like reading a kids book, really really short sentences all the time and nothing really hard to read either plus it was interesting to read (not the best plot but still good)

• 5 months later...

Hi !

I'm reading Kamikaze Explorer (finished Kotoha's and Fuuka's Routes) with ChiitransLite juggling between the parser, Atlas and Honyaku. If I'm not wrong (I hope), I'd say I understood 80% of what I read. (The other 20% being long descriptions or scientific descriptions. Often both at the same time)

My question is : Can I go to the second level or should I do another first level VN ?

Also, really liking the common route (Individual routes less), what level are other Clochette VNs ? If they are around first level, I'll read them after Kamikaze Explorer. If not, I guess I will just read another VN from the first level.

Thanks !

Edited by Riku

Most of the Clochette VNs are about at the same level.  I'd suggest you do Haruka ni Aogi if you are going to head up to 2nd level, as it is a VN that actually gets better on a second playthrough.   Draculius is also  a good choice.  I would suggest only playing Tiny dungeon if you are confident in your understanding of movement verbs and descriptions.

I see. In that case, I will probably do Koko kara Natsu no Innocence! after Kamikaze Explorer, since you say it's a good charage in your review.

I don't have that much time now, and I'm going back to my parents' house for christmas. Then when I will finally return, Noble Works and Koisaku will probably be released (hopefully) so I will read them. So until then, I will review my grammar and then continue Kamikaze Explorer and see if my understanding got better.

Anyway, thanks for your answer !

Oh yeah, I'm planning to read it soon, but are the branch school routes worth it in Haruka ni Aogi?

I mean, the main reason I want to read it is because I'm a Takehaya fan boy (Love Rokujouma) and most of the reviews I saw said that the Main School routes are goods (Takehaya) but the Branch ones are more of a Nukige (the other writer).

Don't know when I'll read it, though. I want to read it since May/Jun, but I always do something else... I didn't read KokoNatsu either... (my previous post)

The blonde with glasses is good for the branch school routes.  Miyabi, Donoko, and the girl that's afraid of men are all good as well.   To be honest, the two other red-heads' routes were boring... Edit: I should say 'more normal' rather than boring.  None of this game is nukige-style, after all.

Yeah, I exagerated a little. People complained there were too much H scenes in the Branch routes, but it's compared to the Main School routes. So yeah, it's "normal".

Well, I want to read it for the Main School routes, so I'll do that first, then if I'm in the mood for it I'll also read Yuna's route. (Blonde with glasses, I saw a review where it say that she has the best route with Miyabi)

On 2016/8/16 at 1:30 AM, Riku said:

Yeah, I exagerated a little. People complained there were too much H scenes in the Branch routes, but it's compared to the Main School routes. So yeah, it's "normal".

Well, I want to read it for the Main School routes, so I'll do that first, then if I'm in the mood for it I'll also read Yuna's route. (Blonde with glasses, I saw a review where it say that she has the best route with Miyabi)

Donoko is my favorite.  Miyabi is really good too though.  The problem is that they really don't make VNs like that one anymore.  Part of it is that the trend was to make the protagonists into students in just about every VN, and another part is that the teacher-student relationship thing went from a gray zone to a black zone in the years immediately after its release over there. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's me again! So, I've been busy these past few days so I didn't continue, but after 'finishing' (Only Takehaya's part) Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no, in my journey of reading his works, I decided my next target would be Okiba ga Nai! (https://vndb.org/v3098)

So, here's the question: Being an Akabei Soft2 VN, I'm guessing the reading difficulty is higher, but how much?

Could you compare it with Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no that you said is of the "second level'?

EDIT: While I'm at it, how about Akatsuki Works VNs?