Starswirl Academy (My Little Pony based VN)

Nosebleed

O.O  Wow, I didn't expect Wavedash to pop up in this thread.  Not every day one of the creators of a VN shows up.

I tried the demo on my Mac, and at least before the demo was updated with the new names, I was unable to save.  It didn't crash, it just wouldn't save anything.  Not a huge problem, since it was just a demo, but I hope that won't still happen in the Mac release.

Yikes. That menu over the Headmaster. Noted. I'm a firm believer in the opposite of your thoughts on the options being clearly visible. I think the UI should only be there when you need it. More refinements necessary, obviously.

Yeah. You're not coming across

I might have sounded harsh don't get me wrong i know it's a demo I just wrote what i first thought of while playing it. Thanks for pointing out where the options were because i really couldn't find them. Personally i prefer when the options are clearly there and you don't need to hover them to see them but that's just me. And it's also not noticeable in scenes with bright backgrounds like this:

1lLqmCp.png

Also right now the saves are working. I really don't know what happened it fixed itself (?)

I noticed it created a log file in the main directory. Maybe that was missing before or something. I'll edit my post and write this out.

I don't have any problem with the control screen itself but with the fact i have to memorize it all at once. I'd like an option somewhere in order to view it anytime i want in case i forget some keys.  :)

Again i'm loving what you guys are doing and i'll play all the updates you post. These were just first impressions.

Yikes. That menu over the Headmaster. Noted. I'm a firm believer in the opposite of your thoughts on the options being clearly visible. I think the UI should only be there when you need it. More refinements necessary, obviously.

Yeah. You're not coming across as harsh at all. Criticism is required in order to make something even better.

I tried the demo on my Mac, and at least before the demo was updated with the new names, I was unable to save.  It didn't crash, it just wouldn't save anything.  Not a huge problem, since it was just a demo, but I hope that won't still happen in the Mac release.

That's even weirder because our programmer works on a Mac.

That's even weirder because our programmer works on a Mac.

That is strange.  I think I had OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 installed when I tried the demo; that's the only potential problem I can think of with my limited technical knowledge.  I'll have to try the current version of the demo out to see if the issue persists.

My problem with it was, as i stated, I couldn't find it and i had to have it pointed out to me in order to find out where the auto button (and other buttons) were.

Maybe having it included in the controls would be nice. I won't hate it if it only shows when hovering I just want to know where it is when i want to use it.

I'll look forward to further updates.

Tested it on my tablet (Android 4.2.2)

First Ren'Py novel i tried on my tablet actually. Though the aesthetic and overall performance were similar it seems to have some lag issues where it freezes periodically. I'm going to see if it's my tablet (it's likely) but it's hard to play when it freezes every 10 seconds. If i don't abuse the touching it doesn't happen as often, if i double tap too much it just freezes briefly.

Nonetheless rated it 5 stars on the app store.

Ren'Py on Android is a slightly cumbersome beast that's still in its infancy. We're still trying to figure out how to make it run a bit smoother and so is the engine creator. I think this version of the game is running on one of the unpublished nightly builds, so that may be the issue. We'll get there eventually.

It's nice to see a topic on an actual VN board. A large portion of our fans have never read a visual novel before (save maybe Katawa Shoujo) so it's nice to hear some criticism from a group that knows what it's looking for.

Well, Wavedash, I downloaded the new demo, and the autosaves and manual saves from the old demo showed up, but unsurprisingly they couldn't be opened.  The manual saves that I had tried to create hadn't shown up when I tried to make them in the first demo.  The autosave worked, but other than that, I'm not quite sure what went wrong.  I could have just been saving over them, but I don't think that was it, since I could only see the autosaves.

Kinda pointless pointing this out now, since I'm able to save and load in the new demo perfectly fine, but oh well, better late than never.  The current saving system seems to work fine on Macs, or at least on Mavericks.

Ren'Py on Android is a slightly cumbersome beast that's still in its infancy. We're still trying to figure out how to make it run a bit smoother and so is the engine creator. I think this version of the game is running on one of the unpublished nightly builds, so that may be the issue. We'll get there eventually.

It's nice to see a topic on an actual VN board. A large portion of our fans have never read a visual novel before (save maybe Katawa Shoujo) so it's nice to hear some criticism from a group that knows what it's looking for.

If you manage to fix the freezing/lag then i'd totally play it on my tablet instead of on PC. For now i'll stick with PC.

If they wanted a more clever title they could've called it My Little Peony :D

That pun is too cringey. 

I don't have a problem with the title of the VN just the names of the characters bother me when i know they're based off of the MLP cast. But that's just coming from a fan, they probably won't bother people who don't watch the show.

At least this novel encouraged me to watch season 4 of MLP which i never did start.

Edit: I know this won't get anywhere most likely but I swear if you make a spin-off of this (like how they have fandiscs for VNs) with yuri routes and also a Luna and Celestia route. I will throw all my money at you.

Edit: I know this won't get anywhere most likely but I swear if you make a spin-off of this (like how they have fandiscs for VNs) with yuri routes and also a Luna and Celestia route. I will throw all my money at you.

If we do anything else after this, it probably won't be ponies.

If we do anything else after this, it probably won't be ponies.

Really?  I thought that if you were dedicated enough to make a full MLP VN that you'd want to do more, or at least keep working together  : /

Regardless of whether or not it's about MLP/influenced by it/whatever, I hope you guys do keep working together.  Even though the demo was a little rough, the base elements were solid.  It'd be a shame if nothing else came out of your partnership.

At least this novel encouraged me to watch season 4 of MLP which i never did start.

As a brony, I'd definitely recommend watching it.  It doesn't feel quite the same as the past seasons, but it's still the show it was.  The humor is still ever-present, and there's still a lesson to be learned at the end of every episode.

Bear in mind I'm just speaking for myself at this point. I have some other things I'd love to do first.

Ahhhh.  I thought that you were speaking for the whole of Zap Apple.  Well, I hope that you guys will keep working together, but you should definitely put what you want before what some random people on the internet want ^_^

• 4 months later...