Shin Koihime Musou Translation Project

MKDude

Just giving everyone an update! The team is still working on a variety of things, this is not a slow day. They just made me take a few hours off.

A lot of us have, quite literally, been working every waking second on getting this done.

One of our fans (sm2345) messaged us a few fonts that we've been trying out. While we want to keep work progressive, we'll be using the new font for the rest of the images and edit the original few before we're done.

Also just wanted to bring up to everyone, we are still looking for new volunteers! Translators, editors, I'd like to have a few hackers on standby, we're still looking. No matter how big this project gets, I seriously doubt we'll stop expanding our team.

While we're not completely out of the woods on the business end of things, we have two very important things now.

BaseSon is complying (though we know there'll be a few roadblocks) and we have MangaGamer dealing with all the financial stuff. They're going to cover all localization costs, which is really great news.

To re-iterate, we have the development team helping us make the patch, and the publishing company helping us release the full game in English. 

Like I said, we're not resting comfortably yet, but things are looking much more optimistic right now. 

i have to admit when you started throwing this project idea around i thought it wouldn't happen due to the cost of voicing royalty's alone but it seems like i was wrong. so my apologies and thank you for making me eat crow. this is one time im very happy to be proven wrong. good luck guys.

I fully admit, I have no idea just how we managed to pull it off. We're not completely in the clear yet, but we're doing a whole lot better than I ever thought possible.

I give kudos to the team for helping make this project become so much more than just wishful thinking. Pran, Nekkaro, Mephisto, Akikojam, Rillania (if she's on fuwa too), thanks everyone. 

And it goes without saying that our supporters are a huge help. This has been a veeeeery long week, but the support has made it really worthwhile. 

What is this I keep hearing about voicing? I hope noone's having any crazy ideas like having voices dubbed. Not only will that increase the cost a lot, but no way it'll be any close in quality. Just Kikyo's voice alone is a proof enough.

Or do you mean they'll be charged extra if they release the game with voices, as they'll have to pay every seiyu that participated in it?

What is this I keep hearing about voicing? I hope noone's having any crazy ideas like having voices dubbed. Not only will that increase the cost a lot, but no way it'll be any close in quality. Just Kikyo's voice alone is a proof enough.

Or do you mean they'll be charged extra if they release the game with voices, as they'll have to pay every seiyu that participated in it?

the problem wasn't going to be doing a redub, it was the royalties being paid for well over 50 different voices actors, normally this would sink a games profitability for localization. they would never do something stupid like redub them in english.

see most talent agencies in japan require that the seiyuus and the agency receives additional payment for their work to be transferred to a different localization and sometimes even a different platform.  the agencies are very strict about this , hence the reason most companies use in house talent for smaller games. also if the seiyuu also sing on the soundtrack there's usually an additional cost for that as well. it can end up tanking a project from the royalty costs alone. this also happens rarely with anime and happens all the time with japanese live action drama . hell a lot of times the contracts the voice talent has state that the company need their permission to even use their voice if its changing localization or they developers could be sued. the talent agencies in japan hold a ridiculous amount of power and influence over projects their represented talents are involved with.

the problem wasn't going to be doing a redub, it was the royalties being paid for well over 50 different voices actors, normally this would sink a games profitability for localization. they would never do something stupid like redub them in english.

see most talent agencies in japan require that the seiyuus and the agency receives additional payment for their work to be transferred to a different localization and sometimes even a different platform.  the agencies are very strict about this , hence the reason most companies use in house talent for smaller games. also if the seiyuu also sing on the soundtrack there's usually an additional cost for that as well. it can end up tanking a project from the royalty costs alone. this also happens rarely with anime and happens all the time with japanese live action drama . hell a lot of times the contracts the voice talent has state that the company need their permission to even use their voice if its changing localization or they developers could be sued. the talent agencies in japan hold a ridiculous amount of power and influence over projects their represented talents are involved with.

Once again, MangaGamer is dealing with localization costs. Their thought is that, although it is expensive, Shin Koihime Musou is a game in high enough demand to be worth it in the long run.

Boy, I am doing a terrible job of keeping everyone up to date. So sorry everyone, managing the various aspects of this project can be rather distracting.

Half the team is working on getting the Japanese/English script for Shoku ready for BaseSon. We've got a majority of Shoku translated, thank you Akikojam, we've just gotta line it up properly. The other half is working on the various battle aspects. 

Once again, MangaGamer is dealing with localization costs. Their thought is that, although it is expensive, Shin Koihime Musou is a game in high enough demand to be worth it in the long run.

i know mk i was answering the poster who asked about voicing costs

So, I have all of Gi main story finished now. But I think it's best to finish with Shoku first and I'll make progress on Gi town events meanwhile. So, if we get a second translator (and we need to), can I ask to take care of Kii/Ruru, Shunran/Shuuran, Keifa and Chou Sisters events? Priority on -ran sisters and Chou sisters. There might be a bit too many events at Gi side for me to do alone with every character/group having 7-13 events. And I kinda want to get to Go's story as soon as I'm done with Karin's events and events of my favorite characters. There's still Rinrin left from Shoku too.

Agreed, we desperately need another translator. Mephisto and Pran are translating and editing all of the battle stuff and Nekkaro is lining up the Japanese and English scripts side-by-side (MangaGamer NEEDS this) so we're a bit swamped right now. I know we plan on doing Rinrin and the Shoku H-scenes once we can, but we definitely need another story translator.

So, RECRUITMENT REQUEST: Story Translator, Script...Liner-Uper.

Also, the team made me take a few days easy due to health concerns, but I'm back full-time again!