Shin Koihime Musou Translation Project

MKDude

I'll tell him to fix the typo later. As for the Comic Sans, I didn't even catch that. I'll tell him to use something different for the others.

Beato, did you want to be the TLChecker? Position is still open.

I never understood this universal hatred for comic sans. There's a whole load of even worse fonts but those are not that hated for some reason. Though maybe that's because I'm blind to fonts to begin with: there's either readable or not readable fonts for me. But yeah, as I said before, skill translation isn't the only problem. In every battle before you get to pick a character there's a whole load of text. Enemy names, something that looks like victory and defeat conditions and a huge advice from strategist. That advice will probably be one of the biggest problems. And enemy names too, considering how they're positioned.

I never understood this universal hatred for comic sans. There's a whole load of even worse fonts but those are not that hated for some reason. 

Does it have to do with comic-sans not being monospaced? I know that writers are advised only to use monospaced fonts on manuscripts.

Pran intends on playing through the battles to find what else would need to be translated. It would be a pain, but certainly not impossible. The advice may be an issue to format, but we should be able to translate it just fine.

I'm also blind to fonts personally, but I would like things looking as nice as possible.

Comic Sans was originally intended for cute things like educational texts for children and comic books but then became so popular that it was used by hospitals, the police, the government and everything in between. It gives a very unprofessional look to what you write and makes things hard to take seriously.

If you don't pay attention to fonts it wont matter but if you do It can feel sort of like a police officer dressed like a clown telling you that your brother was murdered.

There have been tons of good essays and articles written about why it shouldn't be used thoughtlessly but this site has a pretty quick summary.

Just remember to check that the font you use is available for professional use. You should probably ask what mangagamer used for their Koihime release:

Strats_jpg_650x10000_q85.jpg

And since the Shin logo is just the Koihime logo recoloured with a Shin added to it. So you probably want to use mangagamer's logo for that.

I think the font for the names might be Vani. Though obviously with custom with and spacing since normal Vani has much wider letters. And the top of the letters have been changed as well.

No it isn't Vani but something pretty similar. I'll continue checking. Might be Calisto Mt or Minion Pro. Or at least based on those.

You should probably just ask mangagamer though. See if they have any psd's they can give you.

Didn't BaseSon want to do the image editing themselves though?

We're trying to do as much work by ourselves as possible. We heard back from BaseSon and the news was not as good as we had hoped. Now we're trying to do as much of the work as possible so they don't have to do much.

We're trying to do as much work by ourselves as possible. We heard back from BaseSon and the news was not as good as we had hoped. Now we're trying to do as much of the work as possible so they don't have to do much.

What happened with BaseSon??

Long story short, they're hesitant about doing all of the technical stuff to make the patch. We're still in negotiations and The SKM Project team has not stopped working, but we may have a bit more work to do than originally thought.

Recruitment request update: I'd like to have a few hackers on standby. We may greatly need your help in completing the project, or we may just ask you to do a thing or two. It's a bit unpredictable right now.

If interested, PM me! Like I said, you probably won't immediately go to work, we just need some hackers on standby in case they are needed.

I've edited the text with Minion Pro, hope it's looking better, I used comic sans just because it look kind'a similar to the original text written, I also think it looks better now, but if needed the font can be changed again.

m74s.png

eqzl.png

BookwormOtaku, your support really makes our day when things get tough. That's the first time I've had a nice laugh in awhile.

Also, I feel like we should update as much as possible, so...update: we're translating more. We have a few members joining in and helping out the team, and hopefully the team can grow so we can make faster progress.

Pran and I had a giggle. I asked the MangaGamer rep, and he said and I quote "We actually don't know what fonts were used, since BaseSon did the images, and it'll be out of the line to ask them about that... but it looks likes Comic Sans to me, with its height/width adjusted at some point" 

...oops.