Shin Koihime Musou Translation Project

MKDude

On 2/26/2017 at 1:49 AM, Nandemonai said:

Hah.  In four months?  Not a chance.  I don't see any way this releases anytime soon.  If for no other reason, I'm slow and there's a lot of h-scenes left to translate.

The dissolution of Luna has affected us not at all.

Edit:  After discussing this with Vorthod (the lead), there really isn't any reason not to give a more realistic ETA.  Based on my assessment of where the project is now - what remains to be done, and the rate of current progress - My personal opinion is that I expect a release before 2019 is completely impossible.

At least I'll actually be 18 by the time I play this..

Time for a very special progress update!  Read on for the 4-1:

I've seen a lot of controversy in the past and debate over whether projects should use past tense or present tense.  To be honest, neither one is an ideal solution.  There are pros and cons of both approaches.  But whoever said this was an either-or?  There are other tenses.  I have found the perfect solution - the future perfect - and am busy reworking the existing translation to the new standard.  This will necessitate a bit of additional delay (pushing us out to 2030 or so), but it will be worth it.  After all, moving the game into the future just makes it more perfect.

And doesn't everyone want a perfect translation?  I will have been proud to oblige!

Check out the new sample:

Non: "But I won't have had to worry anymore~ From then on, I'll have been able to read any book I want, anytime I want, just because I want to~"

Kazuto: *strangled gasp*

Non: "Err - no, just kidding. I'll have gotten it, Kazuto-san. I'll have been keeping your stamina in mind for sure~"

Kazuto: "Never mind that.  Uh, Non ... What about my lessons?"

Non: "Okay, there'll have been another eighty-one other volumes left♪ Keep up the good work, Kazuto-san! I'll have been be right here with you making you come to an understanding the whole way!"

I couldn't help but have been thinking of something else when she says 'come to an understanding' ...

Non: "When'll have been next time?  When'll you have been free next~?  I'll have to have been sure to get Meirin-sama to have kept me informed."

Kazuto: "... Umm ... What about today's lesson?"

Woah, woah, hold on!  My body seriously won't have held up!

She would have said say eighty-one more volumes, right? ... Which would've meant, eight-one more times?  To have gone the same way it did today?

Non: "...... Oho♪"

Man, I am seriously going to have been dead meat ... Just to have remembered the kiss of her lips, or have tried to avoid her coquettishly peeking at me, will have been enough to set me to shivering.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess their answer would be "No"
Why you would want a partial patch anyways is beyond me, I've only played one game with a partial, Muv Luv Altered Fable, but that was because the person translating it disappeared and nothing new ever happened. The game crashed when I tried to play any non-translated routes though, so it was a pain. I half-expect other partial patches are similar to that.

There's lot of people with lot of reasons out there mate. Maybe I have a cancer I wont see the day full patch gets released. Or I'm just an impatient asshole who doesn't partake in other reasonable guys obvious problems.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

OK, so apparently, completion percentages come along with the tools.  The tools are more or less ready, but the scripts aren't quite in the format that the tools want.  Conversion is almost done.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to when the scripts are converted as from what I've heard that's been quite the pain. Best of luck!

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2017 at 2:36 PM, Nandemonai said:

OK, so apparently, completion percentages come along with the tools.  The tools are more or less ready, but the scripts aren't quite in the format that the tools want.  Conversion is almost done.

Just wondering if you guys managed to finish converting the scripts over the last couple months. Either way hope everything is going well.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, update time.  All the work on massaging the scripts into the format needed by the scripts is done.  Now we are waiting for our programmer to finish integrating the scripts into the tools.  We should be able to start giving percentages in a few weeks.  (At least, a translated percentage.  Some stuff has been edited, but the new tools distinguish between "translated" and "edited", where the old format we were using before does not.  So some things were edited but the tools won't know that until someone goes and fills all that in.)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats at getting to the point where you can actually tally your progress. I'm assuming, as stated above, that you have more edited than is listed, just no one has gone through the scripts to fill in the tracker. 87% translated with just H-scenes left is awesome. Look forward to your next update and keep chugging along!

Edited by skrewball717

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, everything that has been edited is now properly accounted for in the tools.  Here is the current project status (all of these are edited percentages):

Total edited: 5609/108888  (5.2%)

Shoku route: 2860/41882  (6.8%)

Gi route: 1390/38852 (3.6%)

Go route: 1358/25983 (5.2%)

Kan route: 1/2171  (basically 0%)

Over the course of my time on this project I transitioned, basically, from translating the remaining h-scenes into being a transleditor.  Nobody else was willing to do it, and the script needs some serious whipping into shape.  Also, I was much more haphazard in my editing before.  I would simply edit parts of files that clearly needed it as I happened to stumble across them.  This is reflected in the editing percentages, which are haphazard and show a lot of minor work mostly spread across the whole project, while a few files were very heavily edited.  For example, the majority of what is "edited" in Go happens to be the parts of Non's h-scenes that I translated (which mostly required only minor touching up).

Then the tools were ready.  And with the tools came nice stats.  With the stats, a good look at the state of the script.  I hadn't realized exactly how big the script was.  It's more than a hundred thousand lines! No, I'm not going anywhere.  Don't panic.  (And put this fish in your ear.  Trust me.)

But it does mean a change in approach.  As many of you probably know, the game is split into three routes (and one final bonus route, Kan), one for each of the three factions Shoku, Gi, and Go.  From now on, we are doing one route at a time.  First up is Shoku.  It's the longest, and it's the one our translator has decided to focus on finishing the h-scenes for.

This doesn't really mean much. The editing percentages for other routes just won't move for awhile.  No, it's not your imagination. :maple: Yes, it's on purpose. :rize:

Edited by Nandemonai

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, not too long ago I reached a "milestone": there are now less than a hundred thousand lines left in the game to edit!  Time for a status update.  It turns out not quite four thousand lines were edited, in not quite a month. Note: all below percentages are rounded to the nearest whole number.

Shoku

Main                           42% (4319/10321)
    Battle                         100% (299/299)
    Aisha, Touka                   7% (281/4137)
    Ei, Yue                        0% (0/1954)
    Enya                           1% (13/2777)
    Hinari, Shuri                  2% (48/2907)
    Iishe, Pairen, Reiha, Toshi    0% (0/3377)
    Kikyou, Shion                  1% (34/2277)
    Mii                            27% (396/1448)
    Nenene, Ren                    0% (0/3330)
    Rinrin                         7% (206/2912)
    Sei                            37% (1002/2734)
    Sui, Tanpopo                   1% (27/3409)

Shoku TL:89% (37198/41882)  Edit:16% (6625/41882) Untranslated H-scene routes: (Aisha, Touka), (Hinari, Shuri), (Ren, Nenene), and Sei

Gi:     4% (1390/38852)     Go:    5% (1360/25983)
Total:    9% (9376/108888)

Edited by Nandemonai

• 1 month later...

I'm about to head out for Christmas vacation, so it's progress report time.  A little more than three thousand lines, in a little more than a month.  In between vacation and work being nasty, progress slowed down a bit compared to last month.  (Next month will be slow, too, since I'll be without access to anything for a week.)  Again, all percentages have been rounded to the nearest whole number.

Shoku

Main                             55% (5634/10321)
    Battle                       100% (299/299)
    Aisha, Touka                 16% (673/4137)
    Ei, Yue                      6% (122/1954)
    Enya                         1% (13/2777)
    Hinari, Shuri                22% (645/2907)
    Iishe, Pairen, Reiha, Toshi  0% (0/3377)
    Kikyou, Shion                1% (34/2277)
    Mii                          27% (396/1448)
    Nenene, Ren                  13% (438/3330)
    Rinrin                       15% (434/2912)
    Sei                          43% (1174/2734)
    Sui, Tanpopo                 1% (27/3409)

Shoku TL:90% (37617/41882)  Edit:24% (9889/41882) Untranslated H-scene routes: (Aisha, Touka), (Hinari, Shuri), (Ren, Nenene), and Sei

Total:    12% (12642/108888)

• 4 weeks later...

Got a little curious, so I decided to crunch some numbers about the h-scenes in SKM.  Shoku has 27, Gi has 23, and Go has 16, for a grand total of 66 scenes taking up 36999 lines of text.  This includes the non-h-scene buildup to the sex scene itself; I estimate about 2/3 of that total is actual h-scene material, or about 24600-ish lines.  This represents somewhere between 21-25% (or so) of the game's text.  (And yeah, Go really gets gimped.  It's a pretty short route.)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, update time.  The interval for this one was a little longer than the previous few.  I decided to move these to the first of the month and see if I can't get on a regular schedule.

Even though this interval was longer, there was vacation in there and also I had to spend some time re-editing the existing work.  I decided to change to present tense, not past tense.  Because lines like "Victory was mine!" and "I was dead" (instead of "I'm dead") are just silly.  This involved going back and re-edited the beginning parts of the game to be in present tense.  So the numbers didn't move quite as much as I'd have liked.

Shoku

Main                             63% (6495/10321) (+8%)
    Battle                       100% (299/299)
    Aisha, Touka                 21% (878/4137) (+5%)
    Ei, Yue                      13% (257/1954) (+7%)
    Enya                         1% (13/2777)
    Hinari, Shuri                22% (645/2907)
    Iishe, Pairen, Reiha, Toshi  0% (0/3377)
    Kikyou, Shion                1% (34/2277)
    Mii                          27% (396/1448)
    Nenene, Ren                  16% (535/3330) (+3%)
    Rinrin                       19% (558/2912) (+4%)
    Sei                          53% (1436/2734) (+10%)
    Sui, Tanpopo                 50% (1704/3409) (+49%)

Shoku TL:94% (+4%) (39236/41882)  Edit:32% (+6%) (13250/41882) Untranslated H-scene routes: (Hinari, Shuri), (Ren, Nenene), and Sei

Total:    15% (+3%) (16004/108888)

Edited by Nandemonai