Shin Koihime Musou Translation Project

MKDude

On 3/24/2016 at 4:24 AM, benny said:

We will be rooting for you, until the bitter end !

I was wondering, if it wouldn't be possible to ask for help (concerning H-scene) to some H-Subbing team, like SubDesu-H, or EroBeat?

I mean, they translate this kind of stuff all year long, so maybe one of their translator may be interested in lending you a hand?

We thought about it, and we realize translating a hentai anime and an H-Scene in a visual novel are two different things.  Though it was not a bad idea.

22 hours ago, Kelebek1 said:

You could try and go for an all-ages release while continuing to work on the H stuff for a second release.

That's a possibility, and we've been pretty back and forth on whether we intend to do a patch or not. Our original goal was to work with MG to release this, and though we haven't talked to them in a very long time, it still may be best to clear it with them beforehand. Who knows? It could happen. 

I think you should really consider an all ages release. All ages means Steam and Steam changes everything. With Steam this title could make real money, especially if it's split into three chapters for each faction. Mabye you could even focus on releasing one chapter first with both adult and all ages version. If MangaGamer gets aware that they can make real money here, they'd be also much more likely to offer some assistance.

I also wouldn't underestimate what it means for the motivation to have released something. I know that from my modding times. You'd like to throw everything away but then you release a milestone and get lots of positive feedback and that gives you the strength to finish the other parts. I mean, it can't be slower than MG's 'Jast-inspired' slow motion release of Higurashi anyway.

3 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

I think you should really consider an all ages release. All ages means Steam and Steam changes everything. With Steam this title could make real money, especially if it's split into three chapters for each faction. Mabye you could even focus on releasing one chapter first with both adult and all ages version. If MangaGamer gets aware that they can make real money here, they'd be also much more likely to offer some assistance.

I also wouldn't underestimate what it means for the motivation to have released something. I know that from my modding times. You'd like to throw everything away but then you release a milestone and get lots of positive feedback and that gives you the strength to finish the other parts. I mean, it can't be slower than MG's 'Jast-inspired' slow motion release of Higurashi anyway.

Pretty sure they can't try to make money off of a copyrighted Japanese game... unless I completely missed it and the TL team got the original game's business permission to market it? (which is an insane idea, so it would surprise me to no end).

The only way would be to make a deal with MG so that they get the license and "buy" the translation from the team, or whatever.

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

Pretty sure they can't try to make money off of a copyrighted Japanese game... unless I completely missed it and the TL team got the original game's business permission to market it? (which is an insane idea, so it would surprise me to no end).

The only way would be to make a deal with MG so that they get the license and "buy" the translation from the team, or whatever.

I'm pretty sure that MKDude mentioned at the start of the translation project that they got approval from BaseSon and MangaGamer for an official release if they manage to finish it in sufficient quality. So they were probably just twirling their thumbs and waiting for the translation to be finished until now.

MangaGamer always wanted to release Shin Koihime Musou but they couldn't do it because it was too much of a financial risk. So if they really get a finished translation they can work with, they surely take the opportunity.

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

I'm pretty sure that MKDude mentioned at the start of the translation project that they got approval from BaseSon and MangaGamer for an official release if they manage to finish it in sufficient quality. So they were probably just twirling their thumbs and waiting for the translation to be finished until now.

MangaGamer always wanted to release Shin Koihime Musou but they couldn't do it because it was too much of a financial risk. So if they really get a finished translation they can work with, they surely take the opportunity.

Shocking, surprising and amusing!

Completely forgot I went by MKDude here. It's TheRetroGoat literally everywhere else. Need to figure out how to change that.

But yeah, we did originally have the support of MangaGamer to release it, which is partly why we haven't done any type of partial patch. As for US licensing?

HELL NO.

WE do not have the consent of BaseSon to personally license this, we have no damn clue how we'd divide up the pay for anything we've done, and we have give or take ZERO experience in actively releasing a visual novel as a "company." As such, something like a Steam release is entirely out of the question. Ignoring ALL the other issues with a Steam release, we would get a C&D the SECOND we try to make a personal profit. We don't even accept donations.

It's been awhile since we've discussed things with MG, people keeping up with us know we had a slow year in 2015, and deadlines and burnout and (etc) would all just make this harder. The additional help would be awesome, and we are still open for recruiting right now (which I'll make a separate comment about later), but right now any official release isn't happening in the next week or two. 

Frankly speaking, the main reason we'd want to do a partial patch is to show how far we've come along and see if anyone else would like to join something that has proof it won't get abandoned. But it would still be best to see what MG would want to do about some type of partial patch, if any (and they probably don't), and we'd currently like to just keep working at our own pace without having to worry about various deadlines.

2 minutes ago, MKDude said:

Completely forgot I went by MKDude here. It's TheRetroGoat literally everywhere else. Need to figure out how to change that.

But yeah, we did originally have the support of MangaGamer to release it, which is partly why we haven't done any type of partial patch. As for US licensing?

HELL NO.

WE do not have the consent of BaseSon to personally license this, we have no damn clue how we'd divide up the pay for anything we've done, and we have give or take ZERO experience in actively releasing a visual novel as a "company." As such, something like a Steam release is entirely out of the question. Ignoring ALL the other issues with a Steam release, we would get a C&D the SECOND we try to make a personal profit. We don't even accept donations.

It's been awhile since we've discussed things with MG, people keeping up with us know we had a slow year in 2015, and deadlines and burnout and (etc) would all just make this harder. The additional help would be awesome, and we are still open for recruiting right now (which I'll make a separate comment about later), but right now any official release isn't happening in the next week or two. 

Frankly speaking, the main reason we'd want to do a partial patch is to show how far we've come along and see if anyone else would like to join something that has proof it won't get abandoned. But it would still be best to see what MG would want to do about some type of partial patch, if any (and they probably don't), and we'd currently like to just keep working at our own pace without having to worry about various deadlines.

Well, just like XReaper mentioned, I could help as Editor. I know no Japanese, but I do have a strong grasp on English, so if you do need the extra help, just ask away.

• 1 month later...

As I am just now playing MG's Koihime Musou(just finished the battle of Hulao Pass), this is awesome news! Looking forward to it! (don't make it all ages!)

side question - when playing Koihime Musou, are there only the new game/load game/ quit game options?

1 minute ago, MFrost said:

As I am just now playing MG's Koihime Musou(just finished the battle of Hulao Pass), this is awesome news! Looking forward to it! 

side question - when playing Koihime Musou, are there only the new game/load game/ quit game options?

No. Once you finish your first playthrough, there will appear the options to check out the CG, music, and revisit the character events (including the h-scenes, ofc ;D)

2 hours ago, MFrost said:

Ah, I was hoping that'd be the case, but damn, these battles are killing me.
I'm not sure if the formation at the tip -> of the arrow has an advantage over the ones at the end or not.

Well, before starting the battle you can check the table that explains which tactic beats which.

I simply took a screenshot of it in order to avoid having to constantly check it ;o

And I remember the tactics at the start of the arrow to have the advantage on the ones at the end of it.

On 28/04/2016 at 2:56 AM, MFrost said:

As I am just now playing MG's Koihime Musou(just finished the battle of Hulao Pass), this is awesome news! Looking forward to it! 

Lel, and the uncle is called Kazuto. Sounds quite interesting, since it smells like the MC would actually do stuff in this VN. Not sure if they have any interest on picking anything up though, be related to Koihime or not.

ALMOST Finished with Koihime Musou...I'd like more Sei/Chouun in my life please. even in others' routes she is amazingly hilarious. Aisha's my favorite though. Sui/Bachou's reactions are great too.
I wish Screenshotting was as easy  as it is in Majikoi where it can be just a hotkey shortcut.

On 4/29/2016 at 8:50 AM, ArcherEmiya79 said:

I know I'm being too off topic, unreasonable and putting the cart before the horse...  but yesterday, the +18 version of Sengoku Koihime was released. Do you guys have any idea if in the near future you'll be translating this one?

Sengoku Koihime 18+....well, if I recall correctly, one of our translators could not care less, but he's also got a different side project. I personally have no complaints about working on it, so to me it'd just be a matter of having some manpower to work on it without taking away from Koihime Musou.

If it took as long as SKM...we'd never get to Eiyuutan. So it's something of a maybe right now. 

On 4/29/2016 at 9:11 AM, FrozenRaven said:

So Koihime Enbu is coming to on pc on the 20th of May hopefully that will drive enough interest to get this project picked up officially.

I am rooting for you guys.  

Bummed that we aren't getting a PS4 edition. I'll probably end up importing. And I do feel the need to stress that neither us nor MG have anything to do with Koihime Enbu. Though props to the publishers who are working on it. Would have liked to have helped a bit, but no biggie.

• 4 months later...

There's some news about the Shin Koihime translation project. They released a preview patch containing the first chapter of the Shoku route (right after I read it in Japanese :wacko:).

Relevant blog post can be found here.

Okay, so I've mentioned constantly that editing was going to be a huge part of this process before we were going to be able to release a patch, but out of a couple *dozen* different people we've brought onto the team for that job, only one of them has bothered to stick around, and that's possibly only because he's the newest one. Not to mention that most of the people who left did so without a word, wouldn't reply to messages, and just generally fell off the face of the Earth right after we took the time answering their questions and getting them up to speed. As the guy who was kind of in charge of getting the new guys up to speed, you can imagine how much of a buzz kill that ended up being.

That being said, that doesn't mean we are giving up. Nope. It's just time to change strategies. Who needs quality people when you can have quantity! All of you people who have a copy of Shin Koihime Musou can now grab a basic "we're not dead" patch of the first chapter of the Shoku route (with the first town events included) and give us your thoughts, typo corrections, death threats, editing suggestions, etc. Now, chapters aren't very long in this game, but it should work as a proof of concept and let us know if this will work for larger portions of the game. With that said, let the floodgates open! https://mega.nz/… (extract the files within patch.rar into the game directory...we're still working on a way to get these files repackaged into the game's Bin.arc file)

PS: I've never dealt with any file sharing sites as an uploader before, so please let me know if there is something wrong with that link I posted.
~Vorthod Wiler

Though, not sure if it's a problem on my side but the link isn't working for me. :huh:

Edit: Now it worked, but it took a while for some reason.

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:07 PM, havoc said:

Nice for the partial patch, Question though.
How do i get the game to work on windows 10

EDIT: never mind im a moron, still had seinarukana open at the time i was testing it and it was crashing the game.

You silly willy.

Thoughts on SKM, though?

On 12-9-2016 at 0:57 AM, Jun Inoue said:

You silly willy.

Thoughts on SKM, though?

finished the translated part, and i quite enjoyed myself with it.
Altough i am the last person to ask for a objective opinion on it, as koihime musou was my first vn so i am kind of biased.
My only real problem was how quickly the characters became attached to each other, but it is done quite often so no big gripes there.

The real gripes i have, have nothing to do with the translation but more with the interface itself.
It does not mute when the screen losses focus, which is more than mildly annoying.
Voices stop playing when you go to the next line, does not matter if it is not voiced.
And when you go to full screen it does not put black borders around the screen for widescreen no instead it stretches the faces which look awkward to put it mildly.
This forces me to play in windowed mode and i cant resize the screen.

Then again this is hardly the only vn to have these problems, then again would be nice if it did not.

16 minutes ago, havoc said:

finished the translated part, and i quite enjoyed myself with it.
Altough i am the last person to ask for a objective opinion on it, as koihime musou was my first vn so i am kind of biased.
My only real problem was how quickly the characters became attached to each other, but it is done quite often so no big gripes there.

The real gripes i have, have nothing to do with the translation but more with the interface itself.
It does not mute when the screen losses focus, which is more than mildly annoying.
Voices stop playing when you go to the next line, does not matter if it is not voiced.
And when you go to full screen it does not put black borders around the screen for widescreen no instead it stretches the faces which look awkward to put it mildly.
This forces me to play in windowed mode and i cant resize the screen.

Then again this is hardly the only vn to have these problems, then again would be nice if it did not.

If you want to play full screen without the game stretch just go to your Graphics Control Panel and change the scaling to Maintain Aspect Ratio :sachi: