Shin Koihime Musou Translation Project

MKDude

Why don't you have the names on there? They're right there in the script.

One of the translators was working on this game long before we put this project together. He translated the game using youtube subtitles instead of script modificiations and since it was easy to tell who was speaking in voiced lines in that format, he decided to only write down the names of the people who didn't have a voice actor. Our Japanese scripts have the names, though, so all we would need from a text liner is the willingness to look through a list and figure out which name it represents when they put each line in.

With more information about Koihime Eiyuutan coming out, I would like to have it noted that while the interest is there, we will not be working on it the second it comes out.

It goes without saying that we have no intention of abandoning all projects to do the latest game. We want it just as much as you do, but we want to finish Shin and Moeshouden before we even try to do Eiyuutan.

That being said, if more translators want to join, I can promise that you will not be waiting for work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, we're still around. The game is huge so we haven't really been posting much on these forums. After all, any progress numbers we could post would just look pathetic with such a large game being worked on by only one really active translator and one who can only really work on weekends. If you want to keep some closer tabs on the project, Akumu Ryuu has a youtube channel that you can look at (I do too as Caiga Shanterus, but I have far less tangible progress). Even if you don't want spoilers from watching the videos themselves, you can just look at episode titles and video lengths to see how much progress is being made (though thumbnails might give away some CG. Just something to keep in mind)

With the size of the game, won't this take a long time to translate? If so, I'll be waiting patiently for it to be translated!

Yes. A very long time. Koihime Musou was a pretty large game itself and this is roughly triple the size. It will be a long time before we finish it since we only have 2 active translators.

Well, I guess this is as good a time as any to finally re-crunch the numbers on this. I'll give the usual disclaimers here:

1) These numbers are based on number of scenes as opposed to line counts; all I'm doing is saying something like, "50 events of the 100 total have been translated". Even though the Kakou sisters have events averaging double the length of the Sonsaku events, this is not being considered, so the estimate is very rough.

2) These numbers represent the amount of the game that has gone through the initial pass of rough translations. After these numbers hit 100%, we still need time to go through them again, make sure all the words were translated consitantly, and correct any glaring errors in the translation in general. Once that second pass is done, we also need to get the editors in there to make sure that people without knowledge of Japanese syntax can read the scenes in English fluidly (I will admit I have been guilty of keeping the original syntax intact in places I really shouldn't)

Now with that out of the way, here's the numbers:

main story: 76%
side events: 71%
H-scenes: 14% (our main translator's been avoiding these, so it's all been on me to do while I translate my own events)

We also have a very large number of images translated, the largest of which probably being the individual characters' battle bios which are at 100% translation (but not 100% photoshopped yet). However, the number of images in this game which require translation is huge and I haven't actually taken the time to count them all. Then again, sometimes an image is nothing but one word (Like a save button) and sometimes it's a full paragraph (like the pre-battle briefings or battle bios) so the numbers on this would be wildly inaccurate unless i broke the category into a ton of subcategories. I will just say that battle bios are all translated and none of the battle briefings are high enough resolution for me to decipher properly so they are sitting at 0% for the time being.

This is just the guess of a Math-awkward teenager, but seeing as it has taken roughly 7 months to get this far, and plus all they have left to do, I would say that it will take about another 6 months. Give or take a few weeks. 

And after all of that, if you're going through MangaGamer, will they have any sort of oversight? Will they want to TLC and edit the script themselves after your work is done?

They certainly have the final say, but as far as I can tell, their biggest concerns are general quality and consistency with the original game's translation choices. At the very least that will require at least a light TLC pass by their guys (Not that I blame them since we are almost entirely no-name strangers to the world of translation). They may do some work on the scripts, but they seem to be giving us some creative freedom in the general scope of how to handle the new aspects in the sequel. The real roadblock with them is that once they have the scripts, they will need to do a lot of work with license deals with BaseSon and making the actual patch for the game so that they can localize it. However, you are right in that I forgot to mention that particular time frame before release.

This is just the guess of a Math-awkward teenager, but seeing as it has taken roughly 7 months to get this far, and plus all they have left to do, I would say that it will take about another 6 months. Give or take a few weeks. 

The "Roughly 7 months" thing there is a bit of a problem. Sure, 7 months ago is about when people came together to call this a project, but at that time, the initial catalyst translator for the project was just finishing up the second main route on his channel. That translator's been working on this for...I'm not sure...triple that time, perhaps? Not to mention that H-scenes are long and tedious to translate and will take a while as a result. As much as I would love to get the rough translations done in that span of time, it's likely to take quite a bit longer than that (even with two translators). Add in the MangaGamer phase I mentioned above and you have some real wait time to think about.

On an unrelated note, I think I mentioned earlier that Shin Koihime was nearly triple the size of the original. I think I saw somewhere else that judging by file sizes shows the game at nearly double the length. So I apologize for the exaggeration. However, that's still huge since Koihime is a bit of a long game.

Do you guys still need any volunteers. I can't be much help for translating sadly as I have no actual knowledge of Japanese (I can piece together guessed at translations given enough time but its still at best guesswork).

Though TL checking or helping  line up scripts I can do from what I can tell.

Do you guys still need any volunteers. I can't be much help for translating sadly as I have no actual knowledge of Japanese (I can piece together guessed at translations given enough time but its still at best guesswork).

Though TL checking or helping  line up scripts I can do from what I can tell

Something I've learned while translating these scripts is that while TL checking may be less work than actual translations, it does require a higher proficiency at Japanese since you must prove yourself to be better than the original translator in order to catch that translator's problems. Otherwise, what you may believe to be a fix would actually turn out to be creating a problem where none existed (I do have a few stories about that from my times testing TL checker applicants). That being said, I would love to have more people around to help us with lining up scripts, proofreading scenes, and stuff like that. If anyone is interested in that, feel free to contact either myself or MKDude.