Shin Koihime Musou Translation Project

MKDude

Yay!  A Shion friend!

...Unfortunately, a Shion friend without a clear Dynasty Warriors counterpart.  Daggome it, SKM!  Making me do my homework to get your references!  How can I hold to my strict code of intense laziness now?

Also, sorry about taking a week or three to actually write this.  

We are currently unable to stick the text into game files as the coding for this game is beyond insane in many respects (I've tried to hack the data into the game myself). However, MangaGamer has offered to take care of that side of development for us if we can get the translational side finished for them. That being said, personally i would be quite happy if we could get the text into the game ourselves for play-testing purposes as that would make things a lot easier in the editing process. So my question is this: Have you actually gone into this game's data and changed the text and such in any way?

So what percentage is the game's translation at?

We are currently unable to stick the text into game files as the coding for this game is beyond insane in many respects (I've tried to hack the data into the game myself). However, MangaGamer has offered to take care of that side of development for us if we can get the translational side finished for them. That being said, personally i would be quite happy if we could get the text into the game ourselves for play-testing purposes as that would make things a lot easier in the editing process. So my question is this: Have you actually gone into this game's data and changed the text and such in any way?

I have an acquaintance that's managed to make a web tool that decrypts the game files of other visual novels so that they can be more easily translated by a translation team. Literally all you do is just import a file on his website and it'll display the contents in plain Japanese. Then you can edit each line directly and save the file. I've asked him for his assistance on this but if you have BaseSon importing the script through their engine I'm certain you'll be just fine. Not to mention their tools are probably better.

If you're curious, here's how the game files work: Under bin.arc you have several files that contain the game's dialogue, such as Nov_SNbac001.bin

I'm not certain but I think that's the one for the beginning of Ryuubi's route.

Anyway, if you try opening up the file in any editor you'll always just end up with gibberish. But if you open it in a hex editor that supports Unicode (I use MadEdit for this purpose) and change the encoding to Shift+JIS (that's what Japanese encoding is called for some reason) you'll see the original Japanese dialogue! Unfortunately you can't just edit it directly here at this point because it'll just corrupt the file once you try saving it. Not to mention it would take years to hex edit a visual novel. What you would need is a tool that can not only import the file but also display each line in its original Japanese text (using the proper encoding), not display any gibberish (the parts of the file that aren't dialogue), let you edit each line just by clicking on it and typing the English translation, and finally save it as a new file so once you stick it back in the game folder it works properly. Oh and this all would need to be done without corrupting the file, causing text overflows, words cutting off, et cetera.

TL;DR: I'll get back to you as soon as possible if you still need the help!

Translation progress, if I'm not mitaken we're around more than 50% but less than 60% done. Once the side stories for Gi is done, all that's left is Go and some H-scenes. As for technical help, a back up plan never hurts!

Translation progress, if I'm not mitaken we're around more than 50% but less than 60% done. Once the side stories for Gi is done, all that's left is Go and some H-scenes. As for technical help, a back up plan never hurts!

That is amazing, and I am super impressed with the speed of the project.

...I mean, I'm not completely positive on where you were before, and I know the project's not done just because the little bar hits 100, but still.  Good show!

I've managed to do all that extraction just fine, and I believe Nov_SNbac001.bin is Bachou's first side event ("Bac" represents the character name). The unpacking isn't all that hard (in fact all the images on the facebook page were photoshopped using unpacked images from the game files already), but putting it all back into a bin.arc file is a nightmare. Not to mention that the coding for this game is an absolute mess and it will sometimes be able to load in old versions of files that have been completely replaced/removed from the installation folder (It made giving one of our potential translators a 100% save a real mess). If you're able to actually show some results in modifying anything in the game, I would absolutely love to see it and hear more.

That is amazing, and I am super impressed with the speed of the project.

...I mean, I'm not completely positive on where you were before, and I know the project's not done just because the little bar hits 100, but still.  Good show!

Back when I joined a little over a quarter of a year ago (Holy crap, has it really been that long already!?) The translation progress was maybe around 35-40% However, these are all percentages for the first pass of rough translations. Going through some of my old scripts (and watching some of the videos on youtube) there are some big mistranslations that will require another translational pass or two to iron out. So once we hit 100% in translation, unfortunately, we will probably need to do something of a second run of translations just to make sure the editors have the most accurate stuff to work with. 50-60% sounds nice but this game is so absolutely massive that it will require a lot of post-process work to get presentable

Man you guys really are working hard and i love that you keep us updated through here and with Battle Bio Monday's and in general. Makes us know you're still alive (or zombies in some of your cases *coughMKDudecough*)  and your commitment is the best. So here's more motivation from your favorite pal Jesus.

52593992.jpg

Holy hell someone remembers that I died once or twice. Hey, I am the most talkative zombie "alive"! Also, your profile picture seems...awfully familiar...

1920109_545042505610598_672369858_n.jpg

Hmmmmmm idk, can't quite tell, i see nothing familiar. Maybe the lighting is off... Also yes some people actually remember if you die or not... don't expect much more than bringing you back to life if you do though.

Oh yeah, since Vorthod has been so kind as to post these a few places, I figured we should probably post it here too. To quote him:

I am really quite hesitant about giving out percentages out since, as mentioned before, there is a lot of work to do after progress hits "100%." for example: the rough translations we have now will absolutely need to be rechecked which basically means we will be starting the script over from the start to make sure that all the translations are actually accurate. However, as long as that is kept in mind, I can give you a basic overview of what the percentages look like thus far.
main story: 65%
side events: 62%
H-scenes: 9%
This isn't based on a line count or anything, I'm just looking at things like "145 of 241 side events have been translated." Certain characters have longer events than others, so this is not a perfect approximation (the average Kakouton/Kakouen event is double the length of the average Sonsaku event and this information is not being taken into account in this calculation)

Pretty good progress, and yea i'm sure none of us mind the checking and editing you'll have to do after you're done with translation. While the h-scene percent is low gotta remember that they will consist mostly of *ahem* ahhhs ooohs and oooos, so easier translation there.