Windows 8 64bit and VNs

Vokoca

Hi guys,

I've recently run into an error while trying to run a visual novel on Win8 64bit, specifically:

"authentication failed unrecognized kernel32 module. / nm"

After a bit of digging, I've solved the issue - and I thought I'd share the solution, in case someone has the same problem. :) All you need to do is download the zip from the following website and extract the dll file into the folder with your visual novel executable. Worked like a charm for me.

I had this problem with the visual novel 失われた未来を求めて (Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete), though from what I've read, this can happen with My Girlfriend is the President as well, at the very least. Since there can be more cases like this, I thought I'd leave a topic here.

Hope it helps!

Hi guys,

I've recently run into an error while trying to run a visual novel on Win8 64bit, specifically:

"authentication failed unrecognized kernel32 module. / nm"

After a bit of digging, I've solved the issue - and I thought I'd share the solution, in case someone has the same problem. :) All you need to do is download the zip from the following website and extract the dll file into the folder with your visual novel executable. Worked like a charm for me.

I had this problem with the visual novel 失われた未来を求めて (Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete), though from what I've read, this can happen with My Girlfriend is the President as well, at the very least. Since there can be more cases like this, I thought I'd leave a topic here.

Hope it helps!

I had the same problem as well when I first opened My Girlfriend is the President. I think this problem happens because the VN has .xp3 files in the folder. Win8 can't really support .xp3 files. ( This is what I think, so I'm not sure if it's true.) So if there's .xp3 files, might as well put the dll file from the folder.

I had the same problem as well when I first opened My Girlfriend is the President. I think this problem happens because the VN has .xp3 files in the folder. Win8 can't really support .xp3 files. ( This is what I think, so I'm not sure if it's true.) So if there's .xp3 files, might as well put the dll file from the folder.

Hm, that might be the case, the VN I encountered the problem with has these files as well.

------------

Okay, I've encountered another VN with this problem - るいは智を呼ぶ (Rui wa tomo wo yobu). Just like the previous cases, there are xp3 files in the folder, so it's probably safe to conclude these are the source of the problem. I can also confirm that the contents of the zip fixed the problem.

Edited by Vokoca

• 1 year later...

After glancing at the linked site, the issue you reference appears to be a KiriKiri engine-specific issue.  Specifically, there's built-in DRM that tries to detect whether the OS is legitimate by polling the OS and listening for the expected response--which was changed between Windows 7 and Windows 8.  As a result, the game refuses to run in Windows 8 without a patch of some sort.  In other words, the engine was specifically programmed to limit compatibility--with the expected result.

In many cases the issue is probably solved simply by patching the game to the newest version from the developer's site.

• 4 months later...