VN with favourite bad ends?

Vokoca

I was talking about route structures with my friend, when I thought of an interesting question. What visual novel had your favourite bad ends? I know there are some people who purposefully avoid bad ends, though I think it's a shame to disregard them just because of their nature. So I was wondering if I was the only crazy person, or if there are more?

When I think of bad ends, the first VNs that pop into my head are Fate/stay night and Corpse Party just for the number of bad endings alone, but I am not going to choose either of these. That's because their bad ends usually just lead into a single scene describing the main character's demise - and in the worst case, they do it in an extremely lazy way.

Instead, I would like to mention Kara no Shoujo. I've played that VN without a walkthrough, and thanks to its vicious and unfair flag system, I've encountered about every single bad end possible, without even trying. I am glad I did, though - because these were amazing! They were like whole different story branches, with meaningful and well written content. They weren't just the "Oops, you failed. Now, load already!" scenes, they were actually fun to read - at least to me.

Do you have any VN like that?

For me... Tokyo Babel.  It had some really screwy bad ends.  Raziel's bad end was particularly interesting, if more than a little creepy and gruesome.

Sounds awesome. Creepy and gruesome is often just a plus for me - this definitely raised my interest in the VN, might have to check it out!

Vokoca, is Kara no Shoujo really difficult to play without a walkthrough? In some visual novels it's hard to remember what choices lead where.

Remember11 - some are important if you want to get the story

Steins;Gate - all the non-true endings are good. Steins;Gate's routes are not so much routes as much as they are long non-true endings. So I guess you could call them bad endings.

Grisaia no Kajitsu the bad ends were excellent especially machina 

when they showed her in her bakery pregnant lovingly talking to his dead body in a trash bag while preparing to go on a assasination job i just felt so sad for her.

Sharin no Kuni was also really good toukas bad end was very sad as well

her attaining her freedom to become an adult only to abandon her dreams and live in a depressing state of hopeless hedonism . the vacant look in her eyes as she was sitting surrounded by trash and manga and games while she touched masturbated was slightly emotional disturbing.

Vokoca, is Kara no Shoujo really difficult to play without a walkthrough? In some visual novels it's hard to remember what choices lead where.

Remember11 - some are important if you want to get the story

Steins;Gate - all the non-true endings are good. Steins;Gate's routes are not so much routes as much as they are long non-true endings. So I guess you could call them bad endings.

Yeah, Kara no Shoujo is really hard without a walkthrough, since the investigations can actually prevent you from getting some clues if you click on things in the wrong order, thus forcing you into a bad end later on. Not to mention the true end, that is nearly impossible without a walkthrough.

Grisaia no Kajitsu the bad ends were excellent especially machina 

when they showed her in her bakery pregnant lovingly talking to his dead body in a trash bag while preparing to go on a assasination job i just felt so sad for her.

Sharin no Kuni was also really good toukas bad end was very sad as well

her attaining her freedom to become an adult only to abandon her dreams and live in a depressing state of hopeless hedonism . the vacant look in her eyes as she was sitting surrounded by trash and manga and games while she touched masturbated was slightly emotional disturbing.

Couldn't agree more! Makina's and Amane's bad ends were my favourite.

I tend to like bad ends that are fulfilling.

Fate/Stay Night's HF bad ending where 

Shirou dies after almost killing Saber Alter

was amazing.

Grisaia also comes into mind but Amane's particularly stood out due to the fact that she was able to come into terms with herself.

Little Busters! has the bad ending in Refrain. 

I like how the two accept the harsh reality and strive to live on. I do like the true ending, however.

Fate/stay night and Tsukihime is the first ones that come to mind for me. Maybe it's because many of them were really memorable (Eaten by a shark on the top floor of a hotel, anyone?) or maybe it was because of the Taiga dojo/Teach me, Ciel-sensei segments that followed them...

Edit: Oops, misread the first post. But the VN with my favorite "proper" bad ending, is probably F/SN, with the heavens feel normal ending and all.

This is a description of Raziel's bad ending in Tokyo Babel. 

In Raziel's bad ending for Tokyo Babel, you essentially choose to go on to Heaven using Jacob's Ladder rather than going back to the first area to rest. Because of this, Setsuna's consciousness is gradually eaten away by the mind-contamination of the Chorus, so that when they reach Heaven, the only thing left to him is his devotion to protecting Raziel. Unfortunately, when she finds the other half of her book, the Sefer Raziel, her discovery of the reason why God went insane drives her to despair and Setsuna doesn't have enough of a mind left to tell her how strange her description of the events is. They are then torn apart by the insane denizens of heavens (angels and uplifted human souls) in the council hall of the heavens.

I tend to like bad ends that are fulfilling.

Fate/Stay Night's HF bad ending where 

Shirou dies after almost killing Saber Alter

was amazing.

Grisaia also comes into mind but Amane's particularly stood out due to the fact that she was able to come into terms with herself.

Little Busters! has the bad ending in Refrain. 

I like how the two accept the harsh reality and strive to live on. I do like the true ending, however.

Oh, I definitely agree with all of these!

The F/SN HF bad end is also my favourite bad end in the whole VN.

Amane's bad end was amazing, I got it the first time through, and it was so well done that I thought it was the true ending until the VN suddenly ended. :D

And to be completely honest, I liked that Refrain! ending more than the true ending, since it gave the previous events all the more meaning. Though I'm glad the true end was there, wouldn't be complete without it. :)

How could I have forgotten... Clannad.

Are you referring to the first After Story ending? That was great, yeah! Though I'm not sure if it's fair to count these KEY endings, as they're just a point in the story, not necessarily an ending.

Unless you mean an other end?

To add one more from my part, I'd have to pick one from Corpse Party: Blood Covered, specifically the one that occurs when you read all the diaries in the last chapter.

The character you're playing as goes crazy and eats their friend, until just a single eyeball is left - which they then hold onto, if I remember correctly.

That was probably the most disturbing thing in the entire game, those sound effects make me shudder to this day. :x

Are you referring to the first After Story ending? That was great, yeah! Though I'm not sure if it's fair to count these KEY endings, as they're just a point in the story, not necessarily an ending.

Unless you mean an other end?

Yup, that's exactly the one I meant. And it was the Refrain post that reminded me, so if Refrain is fair game then so is After Story. ;)

Yup, that's exactly the one I meant. And it was the Refrain post that reminded me, so if Refrain is fair game then so is After Story. ;)

Yep, I figured; that's why I sad "KEY endings" in general. :)

Doesn't change the fact that it was great though, definitely agreed.

Ah, in that case all bad ends are a point in the story, it's just that they are usually optional. :)

Oh, let me put it in a different way, then.

What I meant was that in Little Busters! and Clannad specifically, these bad ends are a part of the main route, and you have to go through them no matter what. So I didn't count them as much as "bad ends", as "normal ends", with what comes afterwards being the true ending. Steins;Gate has the same pattern with the True end... does that make any sense? Not sure if I'm explaining this well. :D

By bad ends, I was referring to the story branches that don't lead anywhere and are completely optional.

Oh, let me put it in a different way, then.

What I meant was that in Little Busters! and Clannad specifically, these bad ends are a part of the main route, and you have to go through them no matter what. So I didn't count them as much as "bad ends", as "normal ends", with what comes afterwards being the true ending. Steins;Gate has the same pattern with the True end... does that make any sense? Not sure if I'm explaining this well. :D

By bad ends, I was referring to the story branches that don't lead anywhere and are completely optional.

No, I get it, but even if they're necessary, they're still ends. And they're bad (not in terms of quality, obviously), so they're bad ends. :P

Our definitions are just slightly different. :D

Like many here, I quite enjoyed F/SN bad ends, but really liked the short bad ends scattered through the story rather than the major ones at the end of routes:
1. As 90% of them just require redoing the last choice, it helped diffuse frustration from seeing your PC meet a horrible end, as opposed to flags buried several decisions back that would require significant backtracking

2. The prolific frequency with which the death bad ends show up help immerse you more in the world, by showing the real danger he faces at nearly every turn -- no plot armor here!

3. Attention to plot consistency and clever foreshadowing -- the bad ends weren't afraid to hint at motivations and relationships unknown to the player, that wouldn't even come up in the current route; I really enjoyed playing through IBW and HF routes and seeing why characters behaved the way they did back in the previous routes

4. Tiger dojo, obviously

Akatsuki no Goei ~ Tsumibukaki Shuumatsuron defaults to Reika's bad end the first time through.  I'm not certain, but that might be the ending that potentially leads to Remiscence (made by Tigre, same world, Kaito returns as a side-character along with Nozomi) 

Akatsuki no Goei ~ Tsumibukaki Shuumatsuron defaults to Reika's bad end the first time through.  I'm not certain, but that might be the ending that potentially leads to Remiscence (made by Tigre, same world, Kaito returns as a side-character along with Nozomi) 

I did enjoy that bad end as well. I haven't read Reminiscence yet so I don't know about that but:

I am pretty sure Kaito died in Reika's first Bad end. He runs all over the

forbidden district while fighting and running away (A lot). In the end he finds Reika, but the former special forces guy kills him easily afterwards because he is too tired to fight. A little later he talks to Kaito's father and Kaito is referenced to as being sacrificed to complete his objectives. Well that being said. He might have lived because, well he "can't" die haha. More likely is he get's somehow caught in the one of the Endings in the C arc. After he leaves the forbidden district. I don't really understand what leads up to his capture.. So Yeah. Guess work xD