Raising Avatar File-Size Limit

I don't see the need to. This was already requested once where the avatar limit was 50kb and now it was raised to 150kb which easily allows for 200px wide pictures and even small sized gifs.

Considering on the forum your avatar won't really be bigger than that there's no need for another increase unless people want to start using bigger gifs as their avatars which i don't support because of users with low bandwidth.

Basically it's just uneeded. Most of the forums I've seen use the 100 - 150 kb standard too.

We've been over this already not too long ago. Nayleen was hesitant to raise the file size limit over 50 because with a little know-how you can get pretty much any avatar down to 40-ish. Of course not everyone is good with PhotoShop or even has it, so he raised it to 150 which should be more than enough unless you want enormous gifs, in which case good. I don't like huge gifs distracting me from the posts.

I personally don't like gifs in avatar or signatures because when I want to read static text, I don't want stuff moving on the side.

And you can fit static image to 50kb and the allowed size is like 3 times that. So don't use gifs and you will be fine :) And everyone will actually read your posts because it is not unpleasant to read when stuff is moving on the side (that's also a reason why I couldn't live without adblock).

Yes, the current size should work fine unless you want to be kinda trollish and have a huge avatar in height, since that's not restricted. Kinda like this.

rsz_1e3b848b491718fc296ae11341a71ec4.png

Btw, that ridiculously high avatar is only 200kb :P

And now it's only 111 kbs and fit for use

The wonders of sharpening.

CpXPkI6.jpg

I always support some sort of height restriction but then again there is the report button for a reason so if there's an inapropriate avatar it can just be reported. It doesn't need to just have inapropriate content in it.

Of course I hope all our members have some form of common sense.

there isn't any need for high sizes, 150 is standard at 90% of all places

however what would be nice would be an increase in width size to ~250-300 to cover the profile section in post's

I'm pretty sure there's a limit set for it though and I don't know if you can change it.

My avatar is 200 px wide and on my posts it shows as 125 px wide so it's resized automatically to be 125 px wide on my screen resolution.

I'm pretty sure on higher resolutions (1920 x 1080) it'll just be 200 px wide and that's the limit since there's no bigger resolution than that for a computer screen (unless you're filthy rich).  

I think the avatars are fine like this.

there's an option in the system settings in the forum software to change it, at the moment it would be set to 150 or w/e 

I'm always a fan of having it the widest possible picture with no border so you can have transparent parts in images 

Well my only suggestion would be to stretch the avatar's width to match with the awards borders which in photoshop seemed to be around 150 px wide (correct me if i'm wrong please, it might be my resolution)

This way everything would fit within the same invisible rectangle

That's as far as I'd go with this.

Yes, the current size should work fine unless you want to be kinda trollish and have a huge avatar in height, since that's not restricted. Kinda like this.

Pic Pic

Also, it might be a good idea to change the max height in your ACP so people cant do massively long ones. just in case 

I'm pretty sure there's a limit set for it though and I don't know if you can change it.

My avatar is 200 px wide and on my posts it shows as 125 px wide so it's resized automatically to be 125 px wide on my screen resolution.

I'm pretty sure on higher resolutions (1920 x 1080) it'll just be 200 px wide and that's the limit since there's no bigger resolution than that for a computer screen (unless you're filthy rich).  

I think the avatars are fine like this.

I have 2560x1440 but I'm not that rich... it's just that I need it... 

And as for the limit I don't like big files... 50KB is enough for me, just needed to cut some things and that's all. 

If you're using PNG with transparency then a tool to compress it is handy.

But if you don't have transparency just using JPG and properly sharpening the image greatly reduces the file size. 

All I ever do in photoshop is just crop and resize to 200px width > sharpen the image to the desired level > save as JPG with max quality.

It's almost always within the 150kb limit even if it's 200px wide (The only cases where it's not is when the height is abnormally big like 600px which would be an absurd thing to have).

Small things like avatar size limitation makes the total bandwidth used monthly on a webpage become less and saves storage room on the hosting . It also makes accesing the website noticeable faster for slow connections.

Finally, people using the 3G mobile network to access the site using their phones will certainly benefit from small size avatars and images in general due to having a maximum monthly bandwidth restriction.

In the end it makes all of us save money. So, please keep the avatars on the current weight.