Hearthstone

Kaguya

After the new patch, RENO IS NOW GLOWING when you meet the battlecry requirements, and I'm really rather pissed off. Way to dumb it down, Blizzard.

Oh, and C'thun-related stuff looks terrible. MTG players have whined for years that WotC make decks for them. Now Hearthstone players can do the same.

Disagree on both points. The glowing makes the card more accessible and that's not a bad thing. Hearthstone's entire design philosophy is based around accessibility, and that accessibility is why it has become so successful. It's also just more consistent, other conditional effects do that when the condition is met, so why not Reno?

Some people get confused on when "dumbing down" a game is a bad thing, or when it's actually a good thing. Take XCOM, for example. One of my biggest complaints about Enemy Unknown was the lack of a line of sight indicator when planning out your moves. I wanted to be able to know in advance if a move would allow an enemy to see me or not, or if I'd be able to shoot at them from my destination. The community opinion was pretty unanimously against me, that it would dumb down the game. Lo-and-behold, Firaxis did just this for XCOM 2, and now the opinion is completely flipped, these same people love the new line of sight indicator they put in the game. Did they dumb it down? Yes, players no longer have to know the exact sight ranges for the enemy and have to count out tiles, they no longer have to predict whether or not they'll be able to see the enemy from any given location, the game does it for them. But as it turns out, those bits of "gameplay" simply weren't fun. It's not fun having to count out sight ranges, and random pieces of level geometry getting unexpectedly in the way of your shots was way too frustrating. "Dumbing down" frustrating or tedious gameplay elements that don't contribute to the primary gameplay goals isn't a thing developers should be afraid to do.

So going back to hearthstone, is having to keep track of every card in your deck and how many of each 2-of you've drawn fun? No, it's just mindless busywork. It's actually so tedious that no one ever bothers to manually do it, so they just use Hearthstone Deck Tracker instead. Is having that form of tedious gameplay that's so unfun that many players choose to bypass it entirely good for the game? I'd argue it's not. Is being able to keep track of these things actually a skill? Only kind of, if you had to do it mentally it would be but you could also just use pen and paper or a notepad software to do it if you want to do it manually, so that's not even really an element of skill. Like I said, tedious busywork. And suppose you were forced to do it mentally, is that really the kind of skill you want to dictate hearthstone matches? I wouldn't want that.  I'd rather win against a player because I outplayed them from a tactical and strategic standpoint, not because they forgot they have a second Death's Bite in the deck. Eliminating it is good for the game.

As for the C'thun stuff, I think it's acceptable. Blizzard kind of is making the C'thun deck obvious and linear. But I also don't think it's going to be a truly competitive deck. It will be a fun and solid newbie deck. All players are getting C'thun for free, and the core c'thun synergy cards seem to be commons and rares. New players will be able to get a solid C'thun deck running within a week. It looks like they will be simple decks that will be fairly easy to play and a good way for newbies to learn the game, and will be solid on the lower ladder ranks. And eventually they'll level up into "real" decks. I don't mind this at all. The class that could have the least linear C'thun gameplay is possibly rogue, because nothing is ever simple with rogue. I look forward to see if a C'thun deck is viable with them, and if it would be more interesting to play than the rest.

So, with the new expansion coming I decided to play some more. 

Most of you know I was really into hearthstone last year (got legend a few times and all, my adventures should be in the earlier pages of this thread <3) 

Well, last year I sold my account a bit before league of explorers - I had already played just about every deck you could play and the game had become mostly a boring experience. Got a few hundred dollars out of that. Certainly more than I spent, so yay. 

Anyway, new account is Sorako#11427. Add me up~ 

Pffff - This was my first pack in the new account. Guess the game still loves me, alright.

G5xJbAo.png

I usually seem to open a few legendaries within a short interval then proceed into a long period with no leggies. Speaking of new accounts, I just opened a deathwing on my friend's new account, I feel guilty thou since he didn't get the feeling of opening a leggy :c

• 1 month later...

So in the latest patch Blizzard replaced the "Sorry" emote (apparently because it was used sarcastically) with the brand new "Wow" emote, which is obviously impossible to use sarcastically. Good job, Blizzard. It's bulletproof. I spent several hours tonight trying to use this emote in a way that would imply sarcasm, but I just couldn't. I felt genuine and warm instead.

13 minutes ago, Ariurotl said:

So in the latest patch Blizzard replaced the "Sorry" emote (apparently because it was used sarcastically) with the brand new "Wow" emote, which is obviously impossible to use sarcastically. Good job, Blizzard. It's bulletproof. I spent several hours tonight trying to use this emote in a way that would imply sarcasm, but I just couldn't. I felt genuine and warm instead.

wow

I feel like it's a good change. 

The problem isn't that the emote was used sarcastically, all emotes are.

The problem is that the emote had little use other than sarcasm. It was very fringe and it felt like it was trolling you regardless of whether or not it was meant like that. 

Ya know, that mage isn't really sorry they flamestriked your board for the third time in that game. 

Wow does have a lot more uses, compared to it. Because some crazy stuff happens in the game, and it helps express that. I do feel like it's a better emote.

You might say that "Kaguya, but it being a better emote isn't a reason to remove the old one." - And I'd agree with you. 

But they wouldn't have recorded the new emote if they weren't trying to remove the old one, so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Oh but "Sorry" had one very particular non-sarcastic use, and I used it (and it has been used by my opponent) when one of us had to go afk for a bit and waste a bit of the other's time, or had to concede from an interesting game because of IRL stuff... I'm gonna miss it for that reason alone.

RAGNAROS THE FIRELORD 

I was pretty happy I got that, he was definitely the coolest legendary in the set, if not the best in terms of performance. I'll probably have trouble trying to fit him into a deck that does hi  justice, but I'm looking forward to playing some kinda reno control paladin in wild 

Got the golden... whatever the name of that super-annoying old god thing that fires a ton of spells is. Dusted it. Got a few other legendaries as well, including Hallazeal, which is the only one I wanted anyway.

It's not even been a week since the release, and I already hate C'Thun decks with a passion.

13 hours ago, Ariurotl said:

Got the golden... whatever the name of that super-annoying old god thing that fires a ton of spells is. Dusted it. Got a few other legendaries as well, including Hallazeal, which is the only one I wanted anyway.

It's not even been a week since the release, and I already hate C'Thun decks with a passion.

WTF YOU DUSTED A GOLDEN YOGG? I WOULD KILL TO HAVE THAT :amane:

I have opened about 20 packs so far 0 golds like 4 shitty epics and the only legendary I got was the fucking boogey monster :salt::salt::salt::salt:

The meta will probably start to settle down soon. 

Kinda funny that the last month of doing an arena run a day or so set me up this well for competitive play... Back in the beta I was absolutely terrible at the game, even though I played it a lot. It took me like, 2 years to be able to build a good deck. 

One month of casual play is all that it takes now, though. I'll be playing mostly variations of shaman and paladin, both aggressive (though shaman pulls a bit to the midrange side.)

I'll probably push for legend again, just so that I can feel smug about hiting it in a pretty new F2P account. When I hit it last year, I had basically a full collection, after all. 

Anyone else has plans for this season? 

3 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

The meta will probably start to settle down soon. 

Kinda funny that the last month of doing an arena run a day or so set me up this well for competitive play... Back in the beta I was absolutely terrible at the game, even though I played it a lot. It took me like, 2 years to be able to build a good deck. 

One month of casual play is all that it takes now, though. I'll be playing mostly variations of shaman and paladin, both aggressive (though shaman pulls a bit to the midrange side.)

I'll probably push for legend again, just so that I can feel smug about hiting it in a pretty new F2P account. When I hit it last year, I had basically a full collection, after all. 

I started when TGT came out so i'm not great :amane: best rank so far is like 10 so maybe i can get past that... If i'm lucky

I've gotten to rank 5 a few times but I really don't have the patience for hitting legend. I think your best shot at doing so was last month with a solid all-round deck like Zoo while the meta was still chaotic. It'll be much harder trying to reach it this month.

4 minutes ago, Decay said:

I've gotten to rank 5 a few times but I really don't have the patience for hitting legend. I think your best shot at doing so was last month with a solid all-round deck like Zoo while the meta was still chaotic. It'll be much harder trying to reach it this month.

No way. I'm a terrible deck builder. Pretty good at following guides and playing the decks I pick, as well as remembering how to play against all the decks everyone else is playing, so I shine when the meta is settled and not chaotic. 

6 hours ago, Kaguya said:

I haven't gone much up in rank in quite a while, but with the new fresh meta and cards I think I'll  push to at least rank 5, despite me being in the middle of exams. There's N'zoth Rogue, control priest and beast hunter, all which I currently have a lot of fun playing. There are still a lot of decks I want to try out, like combo priest and n'zoth paladin, so I actually want more dust and the 400 guaranteed dust of a golden epic is very alluring.

Overall, it's a wonderful time to play hearthstone.

Spoiler

I may be a bit too optimistic 

giphy.gif