Quick question: Age Rating

Satoshi Mochida

I have a small question concerning VN's age classifications. Does an age rating of 18+ always imply that there will be H-related material in the VN? Or can 18+ also refer to other topics that wouln't be appropiate for younger viewers e.g. extreme violence?

Basicly, is it possible to play VNs that are classied as 18+ but do not have any H-related material?

Thank you

Yes it is possible for a VN to be rated as 18+ with no h-content but not frequent.

Here's a quick sum up of ESRB ratings:

MATURE (17+)

Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

ADULTS ONLY (18+)
Content suitable only for adults ages 18 and up. May include prolonged scenes of intense violence, graphic sexual content and/or gambling with real currency.

Basically 

17+ (or any other aside from 18+) can have h-content and gore but not of graphical nature

18+ will almost always have either sexual content or extreme violence and is of graphical nature meaning it will depict said acts with CGs/Videos/etc.

No we only use 18+ for sex scenes. An all age VN can have tons of violent material that isn't suitable for younger audiences.

Some of the VNs on the site have all age patches off site though and some of them already have one installed.

EDIT: Oh you referred to VN's in general. I thought you only meant the site. nevermind then.

The only 18+ games without sex that I have ever bought are the Orange Box and Unreal III. Mostly, the 18+ is reserved for sexual themed games. I expect that if a VN's plot deals with extra violent themes, it could be rated for adults only, but extreme violence is more of a selling point in the US than it is in Japan.