Climate change, global warming discussion

Joshyan

I know some fact about Climate change.

It happen because of Sun's activity is increasing than CO2 emitting, and only 2% of total CO2 emitting per day is from burning fossil fuel ,another is from metabolism of organic lifeforms such as human and plant.

Climate change isn't about the earth, it about human's fear of sudden change.

Human will survive after all but our current society won't.

if you are a climatologist, where do you find employment?

the government.

these people know who butters their knives.

if you pay a scientist several times the amount she can make if she worked in the private sector, you can make any scientist endorse you.

and also it is not a majority opinion game, and even if it is...

Oil companies have far more at stake, and far more money to spend on campaigns...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial

Yes, it is killing people. Read Tuna Scrape Salmonella Outbreak Over, CDC Says, But More Sickenings Possible

From the same article you linked to:

It was later determined that unsanitary conditions in the Indian facility that produced the product led to the initial contamination.
In other words, it's not what the product is, it's how they handled it.

To know more about the discusting things governments have been allowing into our food, try googling:

You'll find sensational overhyped articles for fearmongering, and more rational scientific analyses. What sticks more in the minds of most people? The former. Believing them is as foolish as believing the material of urban legends.

To bring this back to visual novels and reality... one thing that they could do without is the "you're cold, so you'll catch a cold" misinformation, which is definitely false.

Problem is that man-made global warming is not real. The earth has warmed just 0.5 degrees over the past 50 years. (See IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE THAT OFFICIAL PREDICTIONS OF GLOBAL CLIMATE WARMING HAVE BEEN CATASTROPHICALLY FLAWED)

Moving on to global warming. I know you don't like propaganda, so why do you reject the Government propaganda in the game by citing a terrible piece of propaganda from the daily mail?

I'm on the verge of launching into a many-paragraph post on why that article you've cited is inherently flawed, but it's boring, and I've just posted something similar above. I know you want to talk about the propaganda in the video game, but points like these undermine your point.

31,487 American scientists have signed this petition,

including 9,029 with PhDs

http://www.petitionproject.org/

Sorry, I tried to ignore this but I just can't. It's a blatant attempt at misdirection by the people who performed the petition. A comprehensive rebuttal can be found here:

http://scholarsandrogues.com/2009/08/02/152-oism-scientists-cant-be-wrong/

Two quick things --

1) There's a lot of chatter about global warming in this topic. I'll pipe in that as someone who has studied global warming at university, done actual data collection and research in the field, and regularly reads scientific literature about it -- the points made in many of the above links are oversimplified or disingenuous. Global warming isn't a simple matter, but a lot of the data is absolutely real.

2) The topic of inclusion of government literature into Visual Novels is a very interesting topic. I'd like to see more examples of where people have seen this. I personally haven't noticed many, or have attributed them to the cultural zeitgeist. For the sake of an interesting topic, let's stay on topic.

If you live in Texas below Waco, you either believe in global warming or you spend too much time watching Fox News. To be blunt, if we want to talk about lies or misdirection in media, those who speak against the reality of climate change are those the most detached from reality. They should go speak to the Inuits in Alaska or the people living on the coasts in Southeast Asia if they want an honest opinion about the matter. When you have to face moving your entire village fifty miles inland because your ancestral home is going under water, your concern isn't how the government chose to use propaganda on the matter, it's whether your kids are going to die because a bunch of people couldn't bring themselves to support the elimination of the internal combustion engine. In other words, just because it is propaganda doesn't mean it isn't true. Propaganda is a tool, not an evil in and of itself.

About the whole global warming issue. There has always been people who say different things about it, and show conficting evidence. The fact is though, that currently there are global changes to the environment. Alot of species are disappearing, the glasiers are melting at rates so fast that in 30 years or so alot, places will be have flooding.

Also I saw someone quote the dailymail which says that the temperature is not rising as fast as the all knowing scientists thought. Why do you think a newspaper would like to write that? Even if it's true, there is most often more to the case than simpely: More co2 = higher global temperature.

Either way the sea level will increase at the current pace. Millions of people will be fucked.

Not that I care really. I just think it's sad that people will tint their glasses or look away from the issue.

Personally I don't really care if millions die. It's nothing new, people die everyday. I just care about the ones that are important to me. My family, friends, so on. We all do.

-The Propaganda

Propaganda is pretty much everwhere. It's been there since the dawn of time I would say haha.

Just kinda have to accept to live with it and try to live how you want to live with your iown views. Ofc you will be affected, but hey what can you do.

Reminds me back when I was 9 years old and learned the the history of Jesus at school. I thought it was quite some nice stories the priest had told us. Glad my parents aren't that religious, would have been influenced at a very early age......

Don't worry next glaciation is near!!! Now seriously in fact it's true that because of human acts the emisions of CO2 are going up and glaciars are melting, but the oil is finishing, now we only have like 40-60 years more of petroleum before we run out of it. Maybe in the meantime there's another glaciation.

Actually we will never know what will happen to the world, but I'm sure of one thing, if we keep going like this, the world is gonna end. As I saw in a book, if every country of the world consumes the same natural resources as USA, we will need 4 worlds like the earth to keep going like this.

Talking about government and influential people we have the Bilderberg club that wants to reduce human population... http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/bilderberg-is-a-conspiracy-reality/

Nowadays world is so fucked up and only human can stop this crap, the problem is people is not aware of this problems 'cause we normally watch a new and the next day we don't remember it or no one cares anymore.

• 5 months later...

I don't understand why people get so angry over climate change denialists.

I don't get angry about them so much as I find them amusing(which isn't terribly surprising since I find almost everything amusing on some level).  It's like they think that the absence of climate change would invalidate all the other reasons why cutting down on pollution and increasing energy efficiency would be a good thing.

I don't get angry about them so much as I find them amusing(which isn't terribly surprising since I find almost everything amusing on some level).  It's like they think that the absence of climate change would invalidate all the other reasons why cutting down on pollution and increasing energy efficiency would be a good thing.

This. Also, muh taxes. Not that the denialists here has mentioned then but a lot of then get enraged about their taxes being spent on ecologically friendly policies.

I don't understand why people get so angry over climate change denialists.

For me it's basically because of what Scars Unseen said.

It's like they think that the absence of climate change would invalidate all the other reasons why cutting down on pollution and increasing energy efficiency would be a good thing.

It's not them denying climate change. I'm no scientist so I can't say whether it's true or not! It's just that I'm a bit of a hippy in that I ~love the earth~ and it makes me upset that some people really don't care about it at all. 

This thread really derailed fast. I was reading it yesterday on my tablet and laughing for most part just because of how absurd it became.

So we're still discussing climate changes eh? Technically the global warmming theory is in fact a theory thus it's impossible to know wether stopping carbon dioxide emissions would change anything. However like Scars Unseen pointed out there are plenty of other effects caused by it that have been proven to exist and be very real and are valid reasons to slow down emissions.

But wether we like it or not this won't stop until we run out of oil and the government is finally forced to invest on something else. The sole reason they won't stop the oil extraction is because money. It's a sad world we live in.

global warmming theory is in fact a theory

Using "theory" like that really gets on my nerves. In science a theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on knowledge that has been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation." Gravity is also a theory, because we don't know exactly how it works, but we know that it does work.

Using "theory" like that really gets on my nerves. In science a theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on knowledge that has been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation." Gravity is also a theory, because we don't know exactly how it works, but we know that it does work.

Okay my english vocabulary for this stuff is not that extensive. I guess Hypothesis would fit better in the global warming scenario.

I mean the definition of global warming is in fact true and we know the temperatures are steadily rising. But the the fact that it's caused by CO2, Methane and other gases is still a hypothesis and not officialy recognised by everyone though largely accepted by the majority of course. 

Don't get me wrong i support cutting down on the emissions and all that because of many other factors not just global warming and i do believe this hypothesis. It's just not 100% proven with physical evidence.

I'd like if we all came to the conclusion it's all Steins;Gate's choice

Okay my english vocabulary for this stuff is not that extensive. I guess Hypothesis would fit better in the global warming scenario.

I mean the definition of global warming is in fact true and we know the temperatures are steadily rising. But the the fact that it's caused by CO2, Methane and other gases is still a hypothesis and not officialy recognised by everyone though largely accepted by the majority of course. 

Don't get me wrong i support cutting down on the emissions and all that because of many other factors not just global warming and i do believe this hypothesis. It's just not 100% proven with physical evidence.

I'd like if we all came to the conclusion it's all Steins;Gate's choice

It's not really your fault, to be fair, the conventional definition of theory is closer to hypothesis, but if you're talking about a scientific theory, it's on a completely different level. English is stupid. :P

Eeeeh, I'd classify global warming as a scientific theory.

Actually it's a bit more than a theory. I'm no expert on the subject, but from what I gather it's a set of studies based on experimental facts that have been accepted by the majority of the scientific community. At this point it's not a matter of public opinion anymore.

Actually it's a bit more than a theory. I'm no expert on the subject, but from what I gather it's a set of studies based on experimental facts that have been accepted by the majority of the scientific community. At this point it's not a matter of public opinion anymore.

That's what a scientific theory means, isn't it? Since even gravity is a theory. Theory has a different meaning when talking about science.

Mid-rant rant: Watching videos in brazilian always makes me chuckle because of the vocabulary/dialect used. As you know i'm from Portugal not Brazil and somehow i always find it much more entertaining seeing videos from Brazil. End of mid-rant rant.

I only watched the first video because i'm lazy.

Like i said i also believe in the current most accepted global warming theory but it's still an interesting video to watch. I can't believe there was an actual teacher teaching such invalid and confusing arguments on a TV show. Although i do want to see it i really do not feel like wasting 2 hours.

Lost it at 4:40:

Greenhouse effect doesn't exist. Global warming is caused by water vapour. 

Also the fact that people use conspiracy theories to support the non existence of global warming is just ridiculous. And the last part where he mentions they're brainwashing kids in schools by teaching them these lies. He's pretty much just doing the same by going on TV and attempting to brainwash people with his lies. That contradiction.

Overall it's a nice explanatory video but he's mostly attacking the guy and the completely invalid conspiracy theories and that's not much of a debate but more of a falacy (ad hominem) but nonetheless it's a good thing because the idea i got of the original debate is ridiuclous. And i'm glad someone pointed it out.

Again like he says. Science works with debate. Currently the most accepted theory is the one we're all familiar with that they teach us in most schools. But there will always be people who disagree and try to prove them wrong and that's okay as long as those people use valid arguments which apparently that teacher did not do and we end up with a hilarious video.

That's what a scientific theory means, isn't it? Since even gravity is a theory. Theory has a different meaning when talking about science.

Actually, you're probably right. As I said I don't know much about global warming, and I was under the impression that it was more a fact than a theory.