Review/Thoughs threads

Before starting to explain, I wanted to point out the fact that I know that fuwa in not a review website or nothing.

This is just an idea. And I would like to know if people would eventually be interested in it.

So I joined fuwa as a member so I could be able to talk about VN with other people, because let's face it, next to nobody knows about them in "the west".

So I wanted to see what other people though of the different Visual Novels I read, share about my thoughs, debating about what made a certain novel good or not, discussing the art, the music, the character developpement, their background, the quality of the scenario, the overall harmony of all these compents.

Unfortunately, there are really few threads dedicated to commentary or discussion about specific Novels.

On the 5 first pages of "Visual Novel talk" there was less than 10 of these, and only Clehpas' short reviews about the VN's of the month (idea which is really awesome by the way) were well done.

What I would like to do, is to create "Review/Share your thoughs about X VN" threads.

The structure would be complete :

1) Introduction

2) Spoiler free review/Personnal writer opinion (for people looking for recommendations, or just not wanting to jump into one without some little info or critique beforehand.)

3) Personnal opinion with spoilers.

Of course as metionned above, and as every review is, It is Biased. That's my it leads to further, polite and argumented (?) discussion.

What I really want to avoid is this kind of thing : 

"- I played X, it was really good, I liked it "(+1 post count, Thanks)

Maybe it's my own Utopia to be able to have a really serious discussion about things that I really like and discuss them.

There are so many things to say about VN's, why not talk about them.

So of course this is not an easy task,that's why i'm asking for a few things first.

Would some people be intersted in doing this with me ?

Would some people be interested in such threads ?

I don't have much time thanks to my studies so I can't write 3 reviews a week, especially with how many Vn's i've watched.(Not many yet), and given that i don't have talent for writing would it be in English or my native language. So it would be time consuming but I really want to do it.

I have a lot of other ideas but I would first like feedback.

PS: I didn't really know were to put this topic, it's sort of about Fuwa Improvements but has no direct link to the staff or any particular request to them.

Usually, when a big VN is announced, threads about it pop up. For example, Yumina (even if I personally disliked it), grisaia, etc. 2014 seems like it will be a great year for VNs, since a bunch of big stuff is nearing completion, so those threads should appear with the VNs.

More reviews and VN talk are always welcomed, though.

Well discussion about novels in specific is encouraged.

You are always encouraged to write any type of review you'd like over any novel you want, it's just that not many users do it.

So I don't think making a thread for each VN is a good idea because you don't know what the demands are. Whenever a new novel appears or the most recent novels are downloaded there's often discussion on them. Reviews are also encouraged.

I made a thread when Ikikoi came out and it got over 70 replies in a few days because it was new.

My final opinion is , there's no need to create threads just for reviews as reviews themselves are encouraged to be posted in the VN talk forum, it's just that not many people do it. Creating threads for every VN will just create product when there's no demand for a certain portion of it.

This sort of thing sounds interesting, but literature was never my strongest subject - I'm bad at figuring out why one story appeals to me while another doesn't. As it turns out I'm also stupidly easy to please, I wouldn't see bad writing if a truck with "bad writing" on the license plate hit me.

But I might write something when I get back home, if only to encourage others.

There were a few misunderstandings.

Let me take an example.

I typed "Clannad" in visual novel talk and searched for the titles :

5 awnsers : 3 questions, 1 recommandation, 1 review-ish something not very deep.

Clannad is one of the top rated VN's.

I would really like to have a proper place to discuss about it.

To talk about the characters, their bonds, what did make the story this emotionnal the graphic quality and the list goes on.

I making this because i'm also hoping other people are a little like me. Like a little kid really excited to talk about a game he just finished.

This is why I made this thread first before actually making any Review. Talking alone would be no different than on the street were nobody knows the things I like even exist, and why I like them.

I beleive other people are as fascinated as I am about every singularity that made a VN the way it is and the impact that it had on me.

There were a fews misunderstanding.

Let me take an example.

I typed "Clannad" in visual novel talk and searched for the titles :

5 awnsers : 3 questions, 1 recommandation, 1 review-ish something not very deep.

Clannad is one of the top rated VN's.

I would really like to have a proper place to discuss about it.

To talk about the characters, their bonds, what did make the story this emotionnal the graphic quality and the list goes on.

I making this because i'm also hoping other people are a little like me. Like a little kid really excited to talk about a game he just finished.

This is why I made this thread first before actually making any Review. Talking alone would be no different than on the street were nobody knows the things I like even exist, and why I like them.

I beleive other people are as fascinated as I am about every singularity that made a VN the way it is and the impact that it had on me.

I understand your feelings. 

But you as a user are also free to post your review about Clannad. And everyone can join in on your thread and discuss it. 

This kind of thing is always encouraged.

What i don't agree with is having preset threads for it on the forums because they can easily get burried with time and then this problem will present itself again and you'll have to make ANOTHER thread or bump the old one. Unless you're willing to pin every thread which i'm sure is not going to happen.

Discussion is always encouraged in any form no matter what VN it is. It doesn't even have to be on fuwa.

My point is there's no need for making massive amounts of threads. It's just unecessary. Motivate people to discuss a particular novel: Yes.

Already have threads defined just for it: No

How you motivate people? Well if you in particular want to discuss Clannad for example just make a thread about it and i'm sure others will comment. And any other user who's interested in other novel, go ahead and make a thread to discuss it.

Not to mention if you want to make a thread an actual review SOMEONE has to write it and i'm sure not everyone is up to write a review about every novel in existence

Perhaps a pinned topic on the VN forum saying what's encouraged and what's not would work better as motivation so people can know they CAN still discuss it even if there's threads about it already buried somewhere on the forums.

I'm not asking for who doesn't want to do it but for who would want to do it.

And I not asking for these threads to be official or pinned or anything.

But it is possible to make , and I am willing to create such threads.

I think these threads would be very useful to some people (such as I), not many I agree, but they would exist and provide a more deepend, studied, discussed approach of the game which is something that the forum does not have (which isn't an oddity since it wasn't fuwa's objective in the first place).

I was going to post a review or something today, but since this is now a suggestion thread I'll post my thoughts on the matter.

I feel like part of the reason why we don't have many reviews or detailed posts about VNs is because there is very little precedent of it happening. Pretty much the only big, thoughtful posts you see are ones made by Clephas and every now and then when a new VN is translated. So it seems to me that if we were to have such a thread with several detailed posts, it might encourage as well as give an example to others who might not have otherwise bothered to post.

I think we could totally give a semi-formal structure to this. The idea is not to immediately make a topic for every single VNs (it proved too much of a hassle), but to progressively make discussion threads.

The issue of those topics being progressively buried can be easily solved if we maintain an index of the important topics in the section, something which I had in mind for quite some time already. It would be a bit like batman's introductory thread, but specific to a forum and with all the important discussion thread in it.

It would go something like, someone posts a nice-looking thread about a VN he wants to discuss (nice pic, vndb link, synopsis, maybe a little presentation, and personal opinion/review). We then add it to the index, and whenever someone wants to talk about this VN, he can go there. 

As Flutterz just said, making a discussion thread about a VN will encourage people to drop their opinions and come talk about it.

I think we could totally give a semi-formal structure to this. The idea is not to immediately make a topic for every single VNs (it proved too much of a hassle), but to progressively make discussion threads.

The issue of those topics being progressively buried can be easily solved if we maintain an index of the important topics in the section, something which I had in mind for quite some time already. It would be a bit like batman's introductory thread, but specific to a forum and with all the important discussion thread in it.

It would go something like, someone posts a nice-looking thread about a VN he wants to discuss (nice pic, vndb link, synopsis, maybe a little presentation, and personal opinion/review). We then add it to the index, and whenever someone wants to talk about this VN, he can go there. 

As Flutterz just said, making a discussion thread about a VN will encourage people to drop their opinions and come talk about it.

Does this mean that all the review threads will go onto the same thread or will there be individual threads?

Individual, but not for every VN at once. Then there would be a single thread with a link to each discussion thread, I believe.

Hmm.. that does sound a bit more organized and would help on the demand issue i pointed out. Since the focus will be on making active threads that people want to discuss on and not just create an immense amound of random discussion threads.

I suggest that before creating these threads we create the index with a tag next to title like [Open for suggestions] or something. And then have people comment on it which VNs do they want to have a thread for. Of course this will always be an in progress thread because new VNs always show up. But just to get a general idea of what threads are wanted for now. That way we meet the demands more accurately. Then they can always post more and a thread can be created if it's wanted.

Hmm.. that does sound a bit more organized and would help on the demand issue i pointed out. Since the focus will be on making active threads that people want to discuss on and not just create an immense amound of random discussion threads.

I suggest that before creating these threads we create the index with a tag next to title like [Open for suggestions] or something. And then have people comment on it which VNs do they want to have a thread for. That way we meet the demands more accurately

No, no- we wouldn't make threads in mass like this. It would be just in case someone wanted to write a review or such for a VN. 

I suggest that before creating these threads we create the index with a tag next to title like [Open for suggestions] or something. And then have people comment on it which VNs do they want to have a thread for. That way we meet the demands more accurately

The nice part is that "we" don't necessarily have to make the thread ourselves, anyone can start one if he wants to review something. As long as he makes a little effort on the presentation.

No, no- we wouldn't make threads in mass like this. It would be just in case someone wanted to write a review or such for a VN. 

The nice part is that "we" don't necessarily have to make the thread ourselves, anyone can start one if he wants to review something. As long as he makes a little effort on the presentation.

So basically this index thread is to list review/discussion threads for a specific VN that is created by any user at any time they want. They can then ask for that thread they created to be added to the index?

So basically this index thread is to list review/discussion threads for a specific VN that is created by any user at any time they want. They can then ask for that thread they created to be added to the index?

Yes, pretty much.

Honestly, I don't think it would work out very well. There aren't many VN reviews here anyway, if we force them to present their reviews nicely, get VNDB links and etc, I believe there will be very few reviews/discussion threads popping up, thus making the index obsolete. Maybe someone has an idea to make things work out, though.

Yes, pretty much.

Honestly, I don't think it would work out very well. There aren't many VN reviews here anyway, if we force them to present their reviews nicely, get VNDB links and etc, I believe there will be very few reviews/discussion threads popping up, thus making the indox obsolete. Maybe someone has an idea to make things work out, though.

My first problem and the biggest one was making threads in mass. So this would fix it.

My other problem was motivate users to make reviews. I think the Index does motivate users to write reviews because they'll have their threads pinned in a way. Sure they need to follow certain guidelines but for people who actually enjoy writing proper reviews this is not an issue.

I actually prefer following guidelines than to just have someone write "It was a good VN. I liked it"

This would also filter any poorly written review threads.

I'm assuming this idea is aimed torwards people interested in writing reviews and what not.

Honestly, I don't think it would work out very well. There aren't many VN reviews here anyway, if we force them to present their reviews nicely, get VNDB links and etc, I believe there will be very few reviews/discussion threads popping up, thus making the index obsolete. Maybe someone has an idea to make things work out, though.

Well, once someone have made the thread, you only need to pop onto it an drop your opinion. In a constructed way, sure, but it's not about making a really really nice review, once the OP has given the outline, you can simply discuss what he says or adress a specific point of your own.

And I think that someone making the thread will prompt discussion. The popular VNs would have their own thread in no time.

Yes, pretty much.

What if we give badges for making thoughtful, well-presented reviews?

What if we give badges for making thoughtful, well-presented reviews?

Maybe we should first make reviews and then think about that later ^^

I was also thinking about the Idea of standardising the concept. At little like walkthroughs, with preset organisation and standard format.

So I think there are advantage and disadvantages to such a thing.

The advantage is that it would make Reviews much easier for Mr. Every day VN reader on the forum to soldier up and make his own review.

It would make the whole multiple thread idea a little bit cleaner and easier to work with.

The downside is that it narrows flexibility about the way someone would like to make his review.

I still have to think about the new I would personnaly organise it. 

But I think I would start with

I) Intro

1)Short game infos

2)Summary (or link to the fuwa page)

That's the only thing i'm sure about right now.

I'm wondering if I should make it detailed about different sub subject like graphics and music or just mix it together.

I'm wondering if I try to make a neutral spoilless commentary in part II for people who are looking to check if the said game is worth it or not.

These are ideas i'll try to implement in the test review i'll do this week-end (which will be about Little Buster (if Flutterz isn't already doing it) because it's still fresh in my head).

I have more ideas but these are the ones popping in my head right now.

Maybe we should first make reviews and then think about that later ^^

I was also thinking about the Idea of standardising the concept. At little like walkthroughs, with preset organisation and standard format.

So I think there are advantage and disadvantages to such a thing.

The advantage is that it would make Reviews much easier for Mr. Every day VN reader on the forum to soldier up and make his own review.

It would make the whole multiple thread idea a little bit cleaner and easier to work with.

The downside is that it narrows flexibility about the way someone would like to make his review.

I still have to think about the new I would personnaly organise it.

But I think I would start with

I) Intro

1)Short game infos

2)Summary (or link to the fuwa page)

That's the only thing i'm sure about right now.

I'm wondering if I should make it detailed about different sub subject like graphics and music or just mix it together.

I'm wondering if I try to make a neutral spoilless commentary in part II for people who are looking to check if the said game is worth it or not.

These are ideas i'll try to implement in the test review i'll do this week-end (which will be about Little Buster (if Flutterz isn't already doing it) because it's still fresh in my head).

I have more ideas but these are the ones popping in my head right now.

I'm not saying we should drop evereverything and go draw badges, but it's certainly one way to give people a bit of extra motivation to go through with it.

I guess I'll wait for yours and do mine following your example. I'm planning on doing Clannad by the way. ;)