Japan!

meru

I Think japanese Women Are Hot Lol

how could you know that? because of google graphic? those are models. 

i think japanese girls are average.

and those curved legs.... :( 

guys. japan is different but like in any other country, people work here, they drink beer, they watch tv. it is not a paradise. it's just a different place with a different culture. 

guys. japan is different but like in any other country, people work here, they drink beer, they watch tv. it is not a paradise. it's just a different place with a different culture.

For otaku like us, things like anime on TV, easy access to the cultural products, low crime rate, 24/24 conbini an other convenient stuff seem close enough to paradise.

I don't think I would want to actually live there though. But studying for a few months/years would be nice. Maybe try to do a PhD in Japan if I don't get that internship >_>

how could you know that? because of google graphic? those are models. 

i think japanese girls are average.

and those curved legs.... :(

That culture you speak of though is what makes Japan so unique. As a language major, to me it is with no doubt easy to say that "language is culture, and culture is language." The distinct difference in Japan between the Honne (本音) and Tatemae (建前) is what makes it such a different beast. Sure, the younger generation (I guess my generation) is exposed to the outside world now so the culture has adapted similar ways of doing things (as you said drinking, hanging out with friends, etc.), but the cultural concepts I mentioned still exist.

The Tatemae (建前). In American culture, the prescribed answer for the rhetorical "How are you doing?" is always "Fine thanks" or something similar. Most will be taken off guard by a truthful answer and were not intending to invest so much into that unit of the interaction in the first place. The same goes in the Japanese culture. The term of a "white lie" comes into play here, knowing full well that Japanese people will go out of their way to make sure people understand their life is going well, even if it isn't. It's very rare for a Japanese person I met to open up to me about problems in life, much like we do here in my culture. If anything, when I would tell a story about a problem I was facing (for the day or month, whatever), Japanese people would basically respond in ways that are apologetic. They would understand that what I am going through must be tough, yet they wouldn't really offer advice or share their own stories and would just respond with the "Fine thanks" idea. Again, this isn't to say that the culture is always like this, but still.

The difference between cultures here therefore lies in the idea that American culture as well as many others are much more open to opinions. If I hate my boss at work and think it sucks balls, I will tell my family and friends the truth, straight out.  Japan on the other hand usually doesn't open up that way unless they are drinking with friends. In fact, this difference in expressing opinions is what made a friend of mine I met in Tokyo have trouble with an English exam he needed to pass in order get into a university over in America. He had trouble on the written portion of the exam, where the test asks you opinionated questions (easy ones with no prior knowledge needed) and whether you disagree or agree with something. He had trouble even knowing where to begin or how to form his own opinion on the matter.

I think that's what makes the culture unique. So while you say that it's just a different place with a different culture, it really is cool. But anyways, language major rant. Lawl.

I Think japanese Women Are Hot Lol

I didn't think it was true, but a lot of the high school girls and younger college students in uniforms wear extremely short skirts, especially in the Chiba area. I think the fact that another girl I was hanging out with at the time commented on it made me realize it must be true.

That culture you speak of though is what makes Japan so unique. As a language major, to me it is with no doubt easy to say that "language is culture, and culture is language." The distinct difference in Japan between the Honne (本音) and Tatemae (建前) is what makes it such a different beast. Sure, the younger generation (I guess my generation) is exposed to the outside world now so the culture has adapted similar ways of doing things (as you said drinking, hanging out with friends, etc.), but the cultural concepts I mentioned still exist.

The Tatemae (建前). In American culture, the prescribed answer for the rhetorical "How are you doing?" is always "Fine thanks" or something similar. Most will be taken off guard by a truthful answer and were not intending to invest so much into that unit of the interaction in the first place. The same goes in the Japanese culture. The term of a "white lie" comes into play here, knowing full well that Japanese people will go out of their way to make sure people understand their life is going well, even if it isn't. It's very rare for a Japanese person I met to open up to me about problems in life, much like we do here in my culture. If anything, when I would tell a story about a problem I was facing (for the day or month, whatever), Japanese people would basically respond in ways that are apologetic. They would understand that what I am going through must be tough, yet they wouldn't really offer advice or share their own stories and would just respond with the "Fine thanks" idea. Again, this isn't to say that the culture is always like this, but still.

The difference between cultures here therefore lies in the idea that American culture as well as many others are much more open to opinions. If I hate my boss at work and think it sucks balls, I will tell my family and friends the truth, straight out.  Japan on the other hand usually doesn't open up that way unless they are drinking with friends. In fact, this difference in expressing opinions is what made a friend of mine I met in Tokyo have trouble with an English exam he needed to pass in order get into a university over in America. He had trouble on the written portion of the exam, where the test asks you opinionated questions (easy ones with no prior knowledge needed) and whether you disagree or agree with something. He had trouble even knowing where to begin or how to form his own opinion on the matter.

I think that's what makes the culture unique. So while you say that it's just a different place with a different culture, it really is cool. But anyways, language major rant. Lawl.

that's a really cool story but people already mentioned that in this topic.... japanese never tell you straight what's the problem but if you understand their culture and language, you know, that when they say something is really difficult, it means it is impossible. etc. they just use different words to describe their feelings. well or they just don't lol.

also i mentioned that because of their lifestyle (groups everywhere) they don't know what is individuality. there is a scheme. they just follow that. like you said. it is hard for them to form their own opinion on something.

we all know that.

but still. japanese just live there. they hangout with friends, they have their personal life. there are "normal" people there. when you speak about japan, you don't say that. only thing you hear is anime, manga, freaks whatever. i just don't like it. it's different world but it's not like monsters live there.

For otaku like us, things like anime on TV, easy access to the cultural products, low crime rate, 24/24 conbini an other convenient stuff seem close enough to paradise.

I don't think I would want to actually live there though. But studying for a few months/years would be nice. Maybe try to do a PhD in Japan if I don't get that internship >_>

public tv sucks as hell.... low crime rate. yep it is true but why so much fuss about that. have you ever been attacked in your country? comon. i don't think you have to be a ninja to survive. 

what i really hate about japan is no individuality and how hmm their families work.. 

元気で留守が良い

this is sick.

but still. japanese just live there. they hangout with friends, they have their personal life. there are "normal" people there. when you speak about japan, you don't say that. only thing you hear is anime, manga, freaks whatever. i just don't like it. it's different world but it's not like monsters live there.

I don't think anyone here thinks they are monsters or some foreign human being to be honest, so I am a bit confused how you think nobody is saying normal people exist there. What we are asking is not so much what it is Japanese people do differently, but rather how do they do the same things we do differently.

what i really hate about japan is no individuality and how hmm their families work.. 

This is true or not true to varying degrees, depending on the individual or family, but it is probably fairly accurate as a general descriptor for the culture, and certainly it was a contributing factor to my current divorced state.  Just keep in mind that it is only reliable as a cultural descriptor. It's not that Japanese people have no individuality, they just tend to be more group minded, so western independence can come off as selfishness to them sometimes.

This is true or not true to varying degrees, depending on the individual or family, but it is probably fairly accurate as a general descriptor for the culture, and certainly it was a contributing factor to my current divorced state.  Just keep in mind that it is only reliable as a cultural descriptor. It's not that Japanese people have no individuality, they just tend to be more group minded, so western independence can come off as selfishness to them sometimes.

i know what you mean. for example you invite japanese to a bar. ask him what he wants to eat or drink - "no problem, i will drink what you drink, i like really it". they don't say what they actually like because you invited them, you already did something for them so telling what they like is just selfish. you are in a group, you are part of big world, don't place yourself above the others.

but it dosn't explain why they can't solve a problem in a work. if a problem is not in their known scheme, well, be ready to spend at least 2 days on it, while you can just type it in google and find a solution. seriously it is not a joke and i don't think you can say: it is selfishness. no. their education and lifestyle just kill their individuality.

btw, when i mentioned their family and i wrote this 元気で留守が良い, i meant japanese huband. go to work at 8:30, after that, about 19-20, go drink with friends. tomorrow - same train, same people, same idea - drinking with friends. 

shitty life. that's why japan has low level of happines. at least among just normal people.

peace. i think i wrote everything what i wanted.

That may be as much about current environment as former education, though.  My ex adapts to unexpected situations pretty well, though I suppose she falls a bit outside of the norm(went to college in the US, moved to Okinawa rather than back to mainland, works on a US military base, etc).  She still has some traditional Japanese values that clash with my own personal ones, but I wouldn't say that her education made a drone out of her.  

Honestly, what you're describing reminds me of Americans who graduate high school and get stuck in retail hell for the rest of their lives.  You adapt to the environment you're in, and if the environment you're in favors mindless drones, then that's what you'll turn into unless you have a strong impetus to break the cycle.  The only difference that I see is that westerners don't have a strong social taboo against making waves.

but it dosn't explain why they can't solve a problem in a work. if a problem is not in their known scheme, well, be ready to spend at least 2 days on it, while you can just type it in google and find a solution.

Hahaha this is soooo true >_< Man it drives me crazy.

I think Japan is what you make of it really. If you come with a positive and open attitude, you'll have a great time. Sure, there are times I get pissed off and rant about the way things are done, but I always remind myself to take a step back and look at their way as just being different rather than wrong. Also, if you find it difficult to make friends with Japanese people then try and find people who have lived abroad, and you'll find you have much more similar mindsets.

I have a japanese friend in Japan and i'm planning on staying over with her when i do independent research. I'm usually tolerant of people, and have an open mind. She says that she has friends that came to Japan to study abroad from elsewhere and that they all got used to the different culture. I have a feeling that i'll have a great time in Japan, even if things are different than they are here in America. 

Hahaha this is soooo true >_< Man it drives me crazy.

I think Japan is what you make of it really. If you come with a positive and open attitude, you'll have a great time. Sure, there are times I get pissed off and rant about the way things are done, but I always remind myself to take a step back and look at their way as just being different rather than wrong. Also, if you find it difficult to make friends with Japanese people then try and find people who have lived abroad, and you'll find you have much more similar mindsets.

i think i would give you a prize for that post. 

focus more on postive things and you will be able to enjoy your life, no matter where you live.

I'm here yet again to bother you all with my questions :3

1- You mentioned that one of the major problems to go to Japan is getting the visa. Let's say I get it, I am guessing that it is temporary so how would I make my stay in Japan permanent?

2- I am a male with long hair that goes to the end of my back, what would the implications of that be in Japan?

Hmm didn't see a lot of guys with long hair. Tattoos are generally frowned upon but long hair.... It won't help but really unsure on how much it would hinder. How well kept is it?

I've got quite a few tattoos, including a sleeve. When I went to Japan last year, I only wore T-shirts, so my tattoo was on display, and I had no problems at all. If I ever manage to move over there I know that'll I'll have to wear long sleeve shirts all the time.

Hmm didn't see a lot of guys with long hair. Tattoos are generally frowned upon but long hair.... It won't help but really unsure on how much it would hinder. How well kept is it?

I would say it's very well kept, I do my best to keep it nice and clean. I always keep it tied up when I'm on the street and only let it lose when I'm home.

I have a pact with one of my friends to go to Japan at some point, either before or after University. Main plan is to go to Tokyo and visit Akihabara. Don't know that much, so just going to standard and Otaku landmarks pretty much. Anywhere you'd particularly recommend? And I feel somewhat jealous that you live in Japan. But I've never been there, so mine is the biased view of a westener who doesn't really know what he's talking about.

I have a pact with one of my friends to go to Japan at some point, either before or after University. Main plan is to go to Tokyo and visit Akihabara. Don't know that much, so just going to standard and Otaku landmarks pretty much. Anywhere you'd particularly recommend? And I feel somewhat jealous that you live in Japan. But I've never been there, so mine is the biased view of a westener who doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Ikebukuro is quite nice. Lot of shopping to be done there (think malls and clothing stores). Ueno has some awesome parks and museums if you run through there on your way to Akihabara. In fact, I recommend taking the train to Ueno itself and walking to Akihabara so you can see some of the cool shops alongside and underneath the train tracks. Lot of nice food places, and it's only a 20 minute walk at most. Also, take the train to Ueno and connect to Asakusa. The old landmark shrine there is amazing, and the long walk to it has a bunch of small shops and food stands you can visit. When you get to the shrine you can see the Skytree, which I also recommend visiting. One of the stations connects directly underneath it so you can just climb the escalators to the top and visit the many interesting shops inside it. As for climbing it, its about 3,000 yen to go to the top floor, so that is up to you.

Finally, hit up Shibuya. While it is on the other side of most of the other districts I mentioned, it has some awesome night clubs and an amazing nightlife there.

Alrighty, I have previously Mentioned that i do plan to move to Japan when and if i can ...There is a question or more like a suggestion that i would like..

In regards to Jobs again, I originally wanted to go there and work as a Teacher, But over some time i have done Graphical design and Photography.

SO heres a question, Lets say this is a Vn...I got two routes i can choose, Which route do you think is the best to go with..

1: I study under TEFL which will cost alot more money and time(also the time required to get the money for tefl) and then getting a job through that....or

2: I continue with my Graphical Design and Photography Which i have certificates and such on...With this i can enter a wide variety of jobs and no extra cost or time required(although i will need to be alot better at Japanese which will cost a bit more)..

THe reason i am asking you all is that i don't want to hit a Bad End route and then that after that i would not be able to load my save game and try a different route..i feel that it would be too late.

Of course there is a lot to consider about the two possible choices, But i dont plan to stay in my country any more then i have too..So i would like your Honist opinions Please..

Thank you and enjoy your day.