Japan!

meru

Im glad you made this topic..

For years now going and living in Japan has become my Life dream you could say..

But of course like most of you have said it's not easy. For about 2 years now i have wanted to go the Teaching route(Vn pun). hmm but unfortunately its not easy for me if i need a University degree as i did not completely finish my Schooling. As of now my Skills would only include Graphical Design and a bit of Photography..Although one other route i plan to try out is of course Graphical Design for a Company, or even Free Lancer with some Photography..I too wouldn't mind Translating but i would have to wait and see how my Japanese Improves till then.

I had previously made a Topic of my own which was moved to Games and chatter, which stated about help in moving to Japan..

Over the few months i have gained a bit of Knowledge about going and living there, which in the end made it a bit harder in terms of Jobs.

RIght, Since you offered Meru ha ha, If you hear of someone looking for a foreigner in Graphical Design and such send me a message, although i highly doubt that there would be ha ha xD..

Anyway this is going on for a bit and might continue later..As for a question..How is it like to work with Japanese people, as in Work associates?

Anyway this is going on for a bit and might continue later..As for a question..How is it like to work with Japanese people, as in Work associates?

amelie nothomb Fear and Trembling

the best book you can find about your topic. it showes how it looked some time ago. now it is better but still...

you do want to work in an international company or at least with international budget. you don't want to be in a pure japanese company with monotonous robots who don't understand that something can be done faster, using different than boring and inefficient scheme. 

i think it's because of their life style. from the start (school) you are in a specific group, some kind of club. you are like the others, no special guy. it kills individuality. they are not brave enough to do something different than scheme.

keep in mind it doesn't describe everybody. there are exceptions but not much.

Thank you very much for all your answers

Alrighty, here's a few answers for some of the latest questions. More to come later~

Language

You can survive in Tokyo with no Japanese at all, if you just stay within the expat community. I have some clients who have been here over 10 years and yet speak no Japanese!! Particularly if you live somewhere like Roppongi, which is foreigner-central. That being said, you need to learn the language of a place to truly enjoy it, but I think you already know that :P It's scary not knowing the language of a place, and it can be difficult and upsetting when you feel you're not making any progress, but that's just something you have to deal with if you want to live abroad.

Jobs

The only other jobs I can think of that will hire foreigners from abroad (unless you have a special skill set) is recruiting. Anyone looking for work in Japan should check out www.gaijinpot.com, it's one of the best sites for job postings aimed at foreigners. They all list what criteria you need such as required language ability, and whether applications from outside Japan are accepted. And like I mentioned before, connections are also very important. By connections I don't mean that you need some kind of rich and powerful family member, I just mean that it'll be useful to make friends with people who are already in Japan (you've got one right here ;)) who can offer advice and notify you of any opportunities they come across.

Visas

This is the hardest part in my experience! Most companies don't want to sponsor a visa for someone from outside of Japan - yet you can't get to Japan without a visa. It becomes a very frustrating Catch-22. The best way to get to Japan is either go with an English teaching company that will sponsor your visa and then look for other jobs once here (many people do this), or come on a working holiday visa which you can apply for by yourself, and again look for things once you're here.

As Scars Unseen said, it really does depend on location. I live in central Tokyo which is very expensive, and even within Tokyo prices vary hugely by area. I'm paying 150,000 (split with my bf) for a 40 square metre 1DK place. We definitely could have gone cheaper, but it's in a great location and the building is very new with all mod cons. You can get a small place for less than 50,000, but when I say small I mean SMALL ;)

Also move-in costs are extremely high - many places require around 3 months' worth of rent up-front which they call things like 'deposit' and 'key money'. Some places also don't allow foreigners. When I arrived I stayed with Sakura House for 3 months until I could sort out renting a place, and I recommend them for short-term stays as they cater to foreigners who don't want to deal with all the hassle of renting properly. You pay for the convenience though - I was paying 80,000 for 14 square metres.

Utilities are okay, water is around 4,000, electricity varies between 4-10,000 depending on the month (more expensive in Summer when using the aircon!), and gas is around 3,000. Internet is 3,800.

I am seriously considering the possibility of going to Japan although i think i would like to learn Japanese to a conversational level at least before making any plans. Your offer is much appreciated and hope that when i start making plans that offer is still valid because i would really appreciate some help finding somewhere cheap to live and in case I have no other option other than go to Japan via the teaching route i would like to get out of it asap (I hate teaching), some help with finding a better job would be nice

It seems almost impossible to land a non-English teaching job from scratch. Almost all the jobs I see are either: not sponsoring visas, require Native/Business-Japanese level, or worse, NOT entry level. Like what was said before, best option seems to be: go to Japan one way or the other and make connections.

Well, that's also true for any other country I suppose (I speak only for the US). Connections make or break here. Allows you to bypass hundreds of competition with just one good referral.

My only intention will be to head to Japan for the Olympics in 2020. I've always been a fan of the major international sporting events and wanted to travel to Japan. I have six years to prepare my wallet for such a trip.

I have a Doctorate in Pharmacy and am working on a Master's in Healthcare Informatics. I do not see myself living and working full-time in Japan anytime soon. I've just started studying Japanese in a more structured setting, but I'd probably see myself traveling and liasoning with people in the Japanese healthcare/pharmaceutical industry, which is fairly robust.

There is one other option, though this is primarily available to Americans.  Hire on with a contractor on a US military base.  They almost all provide SOFA(Status of Forces Agreement), which would grant you permission to stay in the country without a visa while employed.  I did this for a couple of years after getting out of the military(I was providing internet and cable tech support).  

One upside to this is that it also gets you access to on-base shopping and gas(the latter of which is much more expensive off-base).  Another is that you can get a driver's license without having to go through the Japanese driving schools(more important in Okinawa, which does not have the extensive train system that mainland Japan does).  The downside, of course, is less daily exposure to the culture, as you will often be working with Americans(and Filipinos, oddly enough) as much as you will Japanese.

I am seriously considering the possibility of going to Japan although i think i would like to learn Japanese to a conversational level at least before making any plans. Your offer is much appreciated and hope that when i start making plans that offer is still valid because i would really appreciate some help finding somewhere cheap to live and in case I have no other option other than go to Japan via the teaching route i would like to get out of it asap (I hate teaching), some help with finding a better job would be nice

Yeah, I want to learn a bit more of Japanese before actually trying to go ;A; I would feel so helpless without it xD

How is it working with Japanese people ?

I'm used to travelling a lot thanks to my parents moving around the world with my mother's company and she told me that the set of mind of the japanese at work (the way they work) is really different from the way things are usually handled in Europe or America for instance and made cooperation harder.

Do you agree ? Did you have issues with the cultural gap at first ?

How is it working with Japanese people ?

I'm used to travelling a lot thanks to my parents moving around the world with my mother's company and she told me that the set of mind of the japanese at work (the way they work) is really different from the way things are usually handled in Europe or America for instance and made cooperation harder.

Do you agree ? Did you have issues with the cultural gap at first ?

Japanese people are, how do I say, very apologetic. Every single thing you do or say is always followed by apologies, as if they are trying to say that they are on a lower level than you. In terms of work? I haven't gotten into the business side of things but I do know from other teachers I was working with that business English classes (i.e.) are very challenging. People in this field are always busy, and most of the time the company is paying for the employees to learn English. In this way, you could get students leaving the middle of class due to work related matters, sometimes so extreme that nobody would show up! Still, the company pays you for what you work so just read a book and get free cash I guess. :P

But in a more related matter, the cultural gap isn't as big as I thought it would be, and I know little to no Japanese. It all depends on who you meet.

Sorry to bother you all again, but i have another question. How is the transition from western products to oriental ones? Like, am I going to find familiar brands often or am I just going to have immediately adapt to their brands? I know is quite a silly question, but I have a bit of a difficulty changing brands, especially with hygiene products so i just wanted to know

Sorry to bother you all again, but i have another question. How is the transition from western products to oriental ones? Like, am I going to find familiar brands often or am I just going to have immediately adapt to their brands? I know is quite a silly question, but I have a bit of a difficulty changing brands, especially with hygiene products so i just wanted to know

Japanese grocery stores tend to have a fair number of American brand products on offer, though not in every category of food.  Spices are usually labeled in English as well as Japanese, and almost anything you would use in western cooking will be at least recognizable.  That said, half the fun is trying out all the new and different foods, so I recommend eating at the restaurants, and when you find a food you especially like, look up a recipe online and find out what ingredients you need.

This may sound odd but Japanese deodorant is not designed for western bodies. Make sure you stock up on a brand you like. This will get better as you adapt to the Japanese diet. Japanese think foreigners smell different.

I found that the bread is different but I actually like the consistency vs regular run of the mill cheap bread here

any information on red light districts in japan?

You can often see touts outside "red light" establishments but for the most part will not bother you if you are obviously a gaijin. Unless.... Unless of course you are in roppongi but most touts there are just trying to scam tourists

Any possibilities of being able to work in marketing or PR for a foreigner in Japan? or anything video game related that isn't translating?

EDIT:
Actually, screw the possibilities part, what is the best way to learn about JP culture while not in Japan itself? Dumb/foolish as it may sound, I am interested in trying to get into the mentioned fields even if there's next to no chance.

I think if anyone's interested in learning Japanese, there's no better way than to chat with Japanese people on Skype. Many Japanese folks are keen to learn English so you can benefit each other that way. Reading books etc are great, but of course, when there's a person in front of you to talk with, that's when you're really "in the trenches" :).

It depends what brands you use I guess XD You can find a lot of imported brands at big stores like Loft and Tokyo Hands, but they are more expensive. You will have to get used to using different stuff. I get my toothpaste sent from the UK because Japanese toothpaste has much less flouride, and I also get deodorant sent sometimes. It's best to just try and adapt to the readily available brands here as it will be easier and cheaper.

I'm planning on leaving my job within the next 2 years (I'm in the forces). And I've decided to go back to school and then to university. @Meru which university did you go to? If you don't mind me asking. As I'm actually planning to become an English Teacher and teach in Japan.

Awesome! I'll PM you ^_~

What kind of information? XD The biggest red light districts in Tokyo are probably Kabukicho in Shinjuku, Dogenzaka in Shibuya, and Roppongi. There's lots of stuff on offer there, but expect to spend a lot. People at my work have run up 300,000+ yen tabs ($3000) in one night going to hostess bars... Anyway, if you have any more specific questions just let me know! I've not been to a soapland or anything like that but I've been to some love hotels and host clubs, and know lots of guys who regularly go to strip clubs and hostess bars.

Any possibilities of being able to work in marketing or PR for a foreigner in Japan? or anything video game related that isn't translating?

EDIT:

Actually, screw the possibilities part, what is the best way to learn about JP culture while not in Japan itself? Dumb/foolish as it may sound, I am interested in trying to get into the mentioned fields even if there's next to no chance.

Yes there are! If you can get into one of the big banks or manufacturing companies then there are opportunities there. But usually they are looking for a) someone who speaks some Japanese or b) someone with experience in the industry already. My boyf works in PR at Toyota and he got in without any industry experience, but he does speak Japanese. Another way is to get into a multinational company in your own country, and then request a transfer to Japan later. Regarding video games, there are probably a lot of openings for programming but I'm not sure what else. I know Sony regularly hires foreigners (I have a friend working there) but again they're mostly looking for people who can speak some Japanese. You should give their site a look though.

Learning about Japanese language and culture while abroad.. well the best way would to be enroll in classes if you can. Other than that, use the web and all of the amazing things it offers. There's tons of Japanese people out there who want to practice your English, so try and connect with someone via a language exchange site. You'll have no problem finding someone :) 

I'm considering studying abroad in Japan in the fall, what are the best cities or specific places to visit? Also is it difficult getting used to fitting into the japanese culture? 

Tokyo is of course amazing. It's also the most foreigner-friendly city. I also lived in Osaka for 3 months and really enjoyed it there too. To be honest though it's really up to you and depends on what you are looking to get out of your stay here.

Regarding the culture, again it depends on you. Research as much as possible before you come - of course there will still be culture shock, but it's good to be prepared. I didn't find it too difficult, but Tokyo is a very cosmopolitan area, and if I was out in the countryside I'm sure I would have to do a lot more adapting.

Eh, gonna be that guy xP. What you probably want are called Soaplands, not host clubs and stuff, but some allow Gaijin, some don't. Whatever you do, if you go partying around Roppongi, DO NOT FUCKING LISTEN TO THE TOUTS. Heard some pretty bad stuff from people at the school I was in about them.

Eh, gonna be that guy xP. What you probably want are called Soaplands, not host clubs and stuff, but some allow Gaijin, some don't. Whatever you do, if you go partying around Roppongi, DO NOT FUCKING LISTEN TO THE TOUTS. Heard some pretty bad stuff from people at the school I was in about them.

Or there is something called a pink salon. I'll leave it up to the person who was interested in finding out about it to find more info on google. Any place that would allow gaijin had a much higher degree of being a scam. You should be a safety minded individual if you choose to partake in any of these. Again this in the same country that has stores that leave their eggs sitting out at room temp for people to buy as well as they leave cooked hotdog meat sitting out all day baked into a bun and nobody seems concerned about things spoiling. Sorry was getting off track there. It's nice to be able to share info on threads like these since after coming back from Japan I was the walking wiki "well in Japan they.."

I think if anyone's interested in learning Japanese, there's no better way than to chat with Japanese people on Skype. Many Japanese folks are keen to learn English so you can benefit each other that way. Reading books etc are great, but of course, when there's a person in front of you to talk with, that's when you're really "in the trenches" :).

How do you even contact people interested in that?

This is where I met 2 of my friends, one of which helps me translate VNs.