[In progress] Award icons - looking for feedback

Steve

A collection of award ideas, including previous ones I mentioned. There are some new ones in here as well:

1. It's not spam, I swear! (Bronze, Silver, Gold) - Post a new thread, and have at least 10, 30, 50 unique posters comment in your thread. This thread cannot include those in the Games and Chatter sub-forum

2. Facebook ain't got nothing on me! (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) - Accumulate a total of 10, 30, 50, 100 total likes in the Fuwanovel community from other users

3. Sharp dresser - Give yourself a unique avatar. You go girl! Looking good! (I noticed a lot of members in the forums don't use avatars. Thought this would inspire members to be more unique)

4. Sleep is for the weak - Remain active on Fuwanovel for a total of 24 straight hours without logging off

5. Extra! Extra! - Write a visual novel review totaling at least 750 words in length. (We can also add anime/video game reviews to this award)

7. Who needs breakfast? - Sign into Fuwanovel anytime between 6:00 - 6:30am (user time) and post in any thread

8. I hate the sun! - Sign into Fuwanovel anytime between 12:00 - 12:30am [00:00 - 00:30] (user time) and post in any thread

9. Look ma, I'm famous! - Become member of the month at least one time

10. ...and I helped! - Post an idea in the Project Requests sub-forum. Have the idea approved and implemented on the site

11. Welcome to Fuwanovel! - Introduce yourself to the community with at least 250 words by writing in the About Me section of your profile

12. The final frontier - Obtain all awards (except for the staff award). Fuwanovel thanks you!

These are my ideas. Obviously the post count, staff, and walkthrough awards have already been mentioned. I took out the Stick it to the man for now.

Well these are good ideas but they are "achievements" more than awards.

I think awards are something to deserve.

Some of these are really easy to get.

A collection of award ideas, including previous ones I mentioned. There are some new ones in here as well:

1. It's not spam, I swear! (Bronze, Silver, Gold) - Post a new thread, and have at least 10, 30, 50 unique posters comment in your thread. This thread cannot include those in the Games and Chatter sub-forum I like this idea but 10.30.50 isn't enough in my opinion. It's too easy to get and could be cheated through.

2. Facebook ain't got nothing on me! (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) - Accumulate a total of 10, 30, 50, 100 total likes in the Fuwanovel community from other users There is already a color code with the number of likes and a title linked to it. I think it's enough recognition

3. Sharp dresser - Give yourself a unique avatar. You go girl! Looking good! (I noticed a lot of members in the forums don't use avatars. Thought this would inspire members to be more unique) To easy to be an award

4. Sleep is for the weak - Remain active on Fuwanovel for a total of 24 straight hours without logging off why ? ^^

5. Extra! Extra! - Write a visual novel review totaling at least 750 words in length. (We can also add anime/video game reviews to this award) Once we do start doing reviews, I'd rather concentrate on quality rather than length. Maybe something more like : "Writing X number of approved reviews." I'm not sure if it's worth an award though.

7,8 No :P

9. Look ma, I'm famous! - Become member of the month at least one time I think having your avatar on the right side of the forum's indew is enough of a reward ^^. And often these users will already have plenty of awards.

10. ...and I helped! - Post an idea in the Project Requests sub-forum. Have the idea approved and implemented on the site I have no opinion on this one.

11. Welcome to Fuwanovel! - Introduce yourself to the community with at least 250 words by writing in the About Me section of your profile This is actually a pretty good idea. First of all, i'd feel guilty going on a farum without introducing myself, so I'd like others to do so. I think it's the least someone should do when coming on a forum. And proper introduction is nice indeed. That'll maybe push things in that direction. Full support on this one.

12. The final frontier - Obtain all awards (except for the staff award). Fuwanovel thanks you! Well ... it's feels a little uneccessary.

These are my ideas. Obviously the post count, staff, and walkthrough awards have already been mentioned. I took out the Stick it to the man for now.

But you are really good at gathering ideas dayum ! o_0

Although I'm not a fan of having so many achievements because it's not convienient.

But I'd sure pick some of these ideas.

*And i'm just here complaining*

As said earlier, one of the main problems is the inability to do auto awards, meaning it has to be checked and added manually, and can become quite a tedious task if its something easy to obtain 

The idea's are great though

Well these are good ideas but they are "achievements" more than awards.

I think awards are something to deserve.

Some of these are really easy to get.

But you are really good at gathering ideas dayum ! o_0

Although I'm not a fan of having so many achievements because it's not convienient.

But I'd sure pick some of these ideas.

*And i'm just here complaining*

As I stated, I view the awards system as a sort of achievement system. I am a little disheartened that all the ideas I came up with were essentially looked down upon by you, but I understand where you are coming from. Some of those awards are easy to obtain, sure, but that's the point. If you make every award impossible then there is no point in having the system. I mean take PS3 and X-Box awards/trophies. Yes, you will always have people who "cheat" the system, but those people are achievement hunters and will do anything to get them all. I highly doubt this community is going to have people cheesing the awards as it's just not worth it. Going with that, it's impossible to make every award legitimate; some are just easier to snag than others.

That being said, make some easy to grab, and others a little more challenging. Giving the community small little awards shows who is active on this website and is participating, and that's a good thing. People took the time to make an avatar, to write a review, or to post about yourself. To me, that says something. This answers your question as to why people should remain active on Fuwanovel for 24 hours: simple, because it's unique and fun. I mean in all honesty post count awards aren't really "deserved" if you just participate and post on the forums, and this can be cheated as well, but we keep it because it's something to aim for and work towards.

Also, as for the posting in the thread award, the 10, 30, 50 numbers are unique posters, meaning 50 different people. No repeats.

Finally, @ Star:

Yes, that's the only problem I foresaw with the awards. I know nothing about programming or coding, so I don't how the site can recognize these values when they are met. If that's too much a hassle, it's really going to tamper with how the awards work in the first place. I mainly based the ideas on console trophies/awards - those values can be recognized, but in terms of the forums, it may be more a challenge.

If the objective is to make more of and achievement system, then if think every ideas you have were really good.

If the objective is the make more of an award system, making so many and so easy reward can be problematic since they lose the value they have. That why I was being more restrictive.

And I don't know what people actually want, I'm fine with either to be honest. It only depends on who it will be implemented.

I was just willing to help by giving criticism (And I don't feel at ease doing it when I can't give as many ideas as you did).

Don't hate me Ren T_T

Please

Lets hold hands again !  :(

If the objective is to make more of and achievement system, then if think every ideas you have were really good.

If the objective is the make more of an award system, making so many and so easy reward can be problematic since they lose the value they have. That why I was being more restrictive.

And I don't know what people actually want, I'm fine with either to be honest. It only depends on who it will be implemented.

I was just willing to help by giving criticism (And I don't feel at ease doing it when I can't give as many ideas as you did).

Don't hate me Ren T_T

Please

Lets hold hands again !  :(

Ce n'est pas grave mon ami, je ne peux pas te détester. S'il te plaît, je veux que tu comprennes que je t'aime! <3 *holds hands* :)

Also, I do agree that any way is possible and I like both sides of how the award system should work, but the thing is I just find it really hard, like really hard, to come up with anything that doesn't involve a counter of sorts. Posts are counted, walkthrough totals are counted, it's all very similar.

I think it's a great idea to award the community with something for contributing, but then all you are really able to do is just that: awards for contributing, so coming up with new ideas seems very challenging. I spent an hour thinking what sorts of awards could fit this category, and couldn't think of anything aside from what has already been stated, and that award system is very very small. :( I guess that's why I branched into an achievement system.

I remember the achievements from games, like "kicked a chicken" or "defeated the most badass boss in existence", the first one was just for fun, the second one actualy meant something, why couldn't there be "valuable" ones and "funny/normal/etc" ones?
I know that would make the achievements page overflow with badges (as there would be a lot of ideas for normal/funny ones), but I think that's cool. Might be because I like games with lots of achievements, even if they're as easy to get as "congratulations, you did a single step forward!"

• 2 weeks later...

Tay is currently supper busy and recovering from his illness, I don't have access to change it.

Be patient, once I get in contact with him (I mean longer discussion), I will have some stuff to say, for now there is more important stuff to take care of.