[In progress] Award icons - looking for feedback

Steve

the emblems look good

I liked the idea of having them the same colors as the Logo, getting things in a color scheme, 

For a site I run we used a different award system which showed a different badge, example of some of the images that were made for it

yT7UX0m.png

the person that made these styled them around the way the website looked and fitted in perfectly

When making emblems you don't need there to be just a number, you could simply use symbol's or strikes for post counts while trying to make an emblem with the same color idea that's on the current forum skin.

As when I look at the color and the style of the forum skin It makes me think of something very simple yet elegant that's easy on the eyes and fits in with green

the emblems look good

I liked the idea of having them the same colors as the Logo, getting things in a color scheme, 

For a site I run we used a different award system which showed a different badge, example of some of the images that were made for it

yT7UX0m.png

the person that made these styled them around the way the website looked and fitted in perfectly

When making emblems you don't need there to be just a number, you could simply use symbol's or strikes for post counts while trying to make an emblem with the same color idea that's on the current forum skin.

As when I look at the color and the style of the forum skin It makes me think of something very simple yet elegant that's easy on the eyes and fits in with green

Yeah, given that the trophies are failing I was thinking that it would be good to get out of the whole bronze to platinum idea and put some color into the badges, but first we have to figure out a symbol that kind of conveys the idea of a walkthrough

As an example for an award for a walkthrough I quickly took the Forum icon f_icon.png

And  switched it to 5fgtZZ4.png

To symbolize different ranks could simply add line's on the right

Well... i started doing your concept and out of nowhere i got the idea of another concept and it is not that bad, imo. Check it out:

9K1P8eN.png  7qnItHW.png  ZAN82wN.png  1c0h7v8.png

QbHDF5S.png      aPgxvC2.png    psvA8uI.png      dla6jQW.png

If noone likes this, then i'll try and do something with your concept, i tried some things but nothing ended up looking that good

Well... i started doing your concept and out of nowhere i got the idea of another concept and it is not that bad, imo. Check it out:

If noone likes this, then i'll try and do something with your concept, i tried some things but nothing ended up looking that good

Awesome concept!

If i may make a suggestion you could make the full W puzzle but grayscale and then color it piece by piece as you progress. Just so you know it's a W from the beginning.

The one thing i'd like to point out is that the W is a little unclear because of the puzzle borders. Maybe thicken the W's border to 2px ?

WIN

Awesome concept!

If i may make a suggestion you could make the full W puzzle but grayscale and then color it piece by piece as you progress. Just so you know it's a W from the beginning.

The one thing i'd like to point out is that the W is a little unclear because of the puzzle borders. Maybe thicken the W's border to 2px ?

Kinda like this?

6WHfPjo.png ODvULHp.png KVIE2qk.png YT20EN2.png

M9bAoUN.png     rlUVo4O.png     ZYlNhbp.png     FzhZxtN.png

ops, didn't saw you had already posted it, my bad. Although in this one the W has a 2px stroke, as you suggested.

Kinda like this?

6WHfPjo.png ODvULHp.png KVIE2qk.png YT20EN2.png

M9bAoUN.png     rlUVo4O.png     ZYlNhbp.png     FzhZxtN.png

ops, didn't saw you had already posted it, my bad. Although in this one the W has a 2px stroke, as you suggested.

Yep. The 2px stroke definitely helps tell the W appart from the puzzle outlines.

As far as wether to go with grayscale or not that's up to the users. I made the suggestion because :

Having half puzzle pieces will make me feel like a loser... :( But I do like the idea ha.

This way you'd always have a W there and you know it'd stand for walkthrough but you need to color it first. :P

I support either though.

The firsts ones i made, i made them like that because I thought that it could feel like you were collecting the pieces of the puzzle, you know what i mean? It would give it a rewarding kinda feeling, but I don't know, i'm fine with both

Yeah i get the idea. I'm also torn between both. I'd like to collect pieces in a way so i guess as far as rewarding that one is better.

The puzzle idea is a little strange since making 15 walkthrough isn't something ot complete.

Why would you have a quarter W if you did a walkthrough ? It's a bit confusing.

I looks nice but doesn't represent the idea well in why opinion.

I preferthe trophee idea or steve's milestone.

What if we did something along the lines of "scroll" icons in order to represent the idea of writing a walkthrough? Here was something I found on the web, but we can simplify it to easily match the colors of the website and take out all the text, just keeping the ribbon and the shape of the scroll. Heck, you can even change the color of the ribbon to represent the different levels, but what I like about this is it actually represents the idea of "writing" content, as opposed to just being awarded for it:

a80a8358ca203cd2838e21ac3e24234d.png

What I was thinking is just removing all the text and making the entire scroll one solid color with the outline. You can then change the medallion color to fit the different levels of the award. Also, to maintain the shape and make it easier, it might just be better to "cut off" the wrap-around part on the scroll if the outline isn't obvious (if that makes sense).

Something along those lines, changing the colors. But I do like the original idea if it CAN be done.

Oh wow ... You just won my vote friend !

I like this a lot.

Maybe play with the colors, the size of the outline and try to adapt the Charm's style so there's a global theme to the awards and ill be sold ! ^^

Another idea for the all the awards would be to simply tier the design itself. I instantly thought of League of Legends and their ranking system. Each new logo looks more intricate than the last, so we could do this for the awards as well, instead of being just a simple color change:

p7sFrzE.jpg

I think the puzzle one conveyed the idea though.

Walkthroughs are guides with "all the pieces" (aka choices) to complete "the puzzle" (aka the game)

I don't see how having it would convey the wrong idea.

It's more of a symbolism rather than being awarded a puzzle for writing walkthroughs.

Yeah I reminded me a little of that, but - and i'm sorry to say that over and over - I really think that we should stick to the forum's color theme. OR blend it's gaphical design, Font, Roundy edges ,...

@ Nosebleed

I'm fine with that but then why only 1 part of the puzzle when you wrote 1 walkthough ?

Yeah I reminded me a little of that, but - and i'm sorry to say that over and over - I really think that we should stick to the forum's color theme. OR blend it's gaphical design, Font, Roundy edges ,...

@ Nosebleed

I'm fine with that but then why only 1 part of the puzzle when you wrote 1 walkthough ?

But you also get different medals with different colors so it kind of ends up being the same.

With the medals you pile up bronze, silver, gold , platinum

With the puzzle you pile up pieces. 

Or if you really want to stick with puzzle themes and medals at the same time why not use the same puzzle design with the W but give it a metalic texture, going from bronze to platinum. If that's even possible (in a way that'd look good).

One thing about the puzzle is that it's more friendly and inviting than the medals that imply more competition. We're not exactly competing for who makes the most walkthroughs.

It is more inviting indeed.

I'm fine with either.

but perhaps the puzzle colors could be brighter (contrast) and a little more darker.

And we don't see the W really well.

(I'm really sorry if I sound harsh in any way. You guys do an amazing job and i'm not able of even a quarter of it (so I feel bad criticising it) but I try to suggest and help improving by pointing the few problems, and charm knows i love his work o_0 )

Please no hurt *puppy eyes*