Do you "Follow" Topics?

Following Topics  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you "Follow" topics? If so, how extensively?

• No - by choice
    • No - I had no idea we could "follow" topics
    • Yes - Just a few (1-3)
    • Yes - Several
    • Yes - LOTS!

This poll is closed to new votes

Our forum software allows users to follow topics/forums for activity.  I'm looking into some optional forum enhancements, and wanted to know how widely you folks use the "follow" functionality.

Thanks!

Yep! I made sure to change the settings so that I automatically follow any topic I post in. It was a bit weird after the post-Fuwapocalypse influx of members, when I woke up the next day and had nearly 100 notifications because of all the introduction threads I posted in, though.

Sometimes when they pique my interest, but most of the time I check 'My content', it's much faster.

So I use it when I see an intersting topic I have nothing more to say about.

Topic I want to follow are often the ones I awnsered to so I almost never use the feature

Edit : apparently there's a setup to follow threads ...

Same thing as Flutterz i have auto-follow on so i can always keep in check with posts i've recently posted in.

So i can ninja my way in there very time there's a new reply.

Bad side of this:

Waking up after fuwapocalypse to 100+ notifications since i ALSO am following the intro forums.

I have not had the chance to use this site that much.

However for other IPB forums I join or work on, I Have never used the follow option

I find it much better to just search in the categories where I posted things, in case I find a cool thread I missed, or search for specific threads or titles

for me, following usually clutters up the notification section a heap 

I'm surprised that this is used at all, to be honest.  If people find it useful, then I'll try and help make it more functional.

We're doing a lot of experimenting with the index sidebar lately!  I've added a sidebar for topics a user is following. It'll display the latest updates.  Hopefully this will be helpful to those of you who use the functionality.

I'd love feedback, as always.

I'm surprised that this is used at all, to be honest.  If people find it useful, then I'll try and help make it more functional.

We're doing a lot of experimenting with the index sidebar lately!  I've added a sidebar for topics a user is following. It'll display the latest updates.  Hopefully this will be helpful to those of you who use the functionality.

I'd love feedback, as always.

Hmm certainily sounds helpful.

I'm guessing the order goes descending from the topic with the most recent post to the one with the least recent? (in a set of 5)

Well, that could be great if the follow up notification were all there. I mean, like separating the "follow" notifications from the others.

Also, an option to ask after a reply to follow up the topic could be awesome. That way, you don't forget about that, and also you don't have to deal with the notification swarm later.

Just an idea.