[Submission] VN/anime recommendation sub-forum

Alucard

Just a quick suggestion for the forums it might be good to consolidate the recommend me posts into a single thread. If you wanted to go a step further even some sort of guide or poll where recommendations can be created so we don't have as much clutter or people asking for the same parameters.

Consolidate everything into a single thread might be too complicated because you risk the thread dying out, getting burried and just spam in general because there'll be similar recs and stuff.

I think individual threads are better for more personalized recommendations for each user. It also allows more discussion about the recommended game within the thread. Quick and simple.

If anything a new subforum could perhaps be made dedicated just to VN recommendations. This should be moved to the fuwanovel improvements board.

A top 50 was made by kaguya.

So a bit a research should be done first in my opinion.

Maybe as you say regroup It into a single thread for more precise information.

But yeah, if you read 5 VN's, just look around, that's my opinion. (It's a rule in every forum, check if content was already posted)

And Heck, people should just try a random one ^^ There's a ranking on VNDB and Fuwa with themes associated.

A top 50 was made by kaguya.

So a bit a research should be done first in my opinion.

Maybe as you say regroup It into a single thread for more precise information.

But yeah, if you read 5 VN's, just look around, that's my opinion. (It's a rule in every forum, check if content was already posted)

And Heck, people should just try a random one ^^ There's a ranking on VNDB and Fuwa with themes associated.

But personal rec threads aren't out of the question. I've made one once because it feels more reassuring when you have other people's opinions on the matter when you're going in blindly.

I do recall this being discussed at some point i think. 

My best solution since what you seem to want is "regroup rec threads so they don't fill the VN forum" is to just create a subforum for it on the VN talk. I know it's possible but the staff would need to see if it's needed or wantend.

RE: Recommendation sub-forum: I'm not necessarily against this, but you're going to run up against two big problems:

1. We do try and keep as few forums as possible to keep the discussion centralized;
  2. A certain loli overlord will oppose you at every turn.  Something about clicking "sub-forums" as read.

It's been discussed many times before, but I agree that we get an increasingly large number of these threads.  

I'm moving this to the Fuwanovel Improvement board requests sub-board.  These sorts of recommendations belong there where they can be taken seriously/discussed.

Thanks!

I agree that having a sub-forum for suggestions would be helpful. Not only would this consolidate all the request threads to one spot, but like Nosebleed said, it would also reduce the amount of threads in the VN Talk forum, resulting in less clutter.

But again there aren't that many VN recommendation threads per day if you look back on it.

I do aknowledge there are more than there used to be but not in such an amount per day that it'd fill the VN discussion board (at least not from what i can tell)

I sense that if there was a subforum for this thing in particular this might invite more spam in a way too so that's counter productive.

Beato brought a fair point there's also anime and manga recommendations to be taken in consideration.

Perhaps an actual recommendation subforum solely for recommendations wether they be VN related or not is more productive.

The counter argument would be that games and chatter can fit this category though i do not really agree with it and do think recommendations have their value.

There are both good and bad sides to this. I wouldn't mind having one subforum if this is becoming a problem and don't think it would really cluster things. 

Waiting for Steve to jump in on this and sway me with his writing abilities.

There are both good and bad sides to this. I wouldn't mind having one subforum if this is becoming a problem and don't think it would really cluster things. 

Waiting for Steve to jump in on this and sway me with his writing abilities.

You will not be disappointed. 

It's true that recommendation sub-forums are common in anime forums. The frequency of the recommend-me-a-VN threads is not that important, but it still might be worth it if we add anime/manga/whatev recommendations.

I also see very well Clephas' genre recommendation lists or Kaguya's list being there, with a pinned index thread pointing to them. I know we should keep the number of sub-forums to a minimum, but this one does seem useful.

There is different things people may look for.

1- As Nosebleed said is to have directly other people's opinion on the matter

2- Is to look for specific content (+18 or not, mystery, drama, comedy and so on)

If you know what you are looking for, maybe we should create more specific threads about criticism and share our thoughs about 1 specific VN. There are a few, but not a whole lot and are hard to find because disappeared in the mountain of pages.

For more precise searching, well recommendation threads are the best solution. So yeah maybe a subforum could be nice.

I think it's fine the way it is, but making a separate subforum for suggestions doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. But shoving them all into one thread seems pretty stupid. I certainly refer people to Kaguya's list, but I also try to take into account what the person has already read and give them a couple of suggestions based on that. And then a discussion can start about those suggestions, so if multiple discussions about suggestions for multiple people start going on in a single thread it'll get really messy, really quickly.

I'm still waiting for Steve to post a wall of text. As well as other users' opinions.

Maybe this should be a poll? Just so we can see what everyone wants overall

One thing i want to point out regarding anime suggestions:

Anime suggestions happen all the time, though not many threads are created there's always anime being suggested in "What anime are you watching?" and other threads so i have reason to believe the anime suggestion would be quite lively if there were a board dedicated to it.

Possibilities (feel free to suggest more)

1: Have a sub forum for suggestions only (VN/Anime/Manga and even other stuff like books and what not)

• Pros: Would avoid creating suggestion threads here and there in the general, anime and vn discussion only boards. Since anything can be suggested the forums would also be less dead.
  • Cons: Would require the creation of a subforum

2: Have a sub forum for VN suggestions and a sub forum for Anime/Manga suggestions

• Pros: Separates anime and manga from VNs on the forums
  • Cons: 2 subforums at once would need to be created. VN suggestion threads aren't that frequent so it'd be a pretty dead subforum most times.

3: Have a thread (pinned or not) for both VN suggestions and Anime/Manga suggestions

• Pros: Separates both anime and manga from VNs on the forums. No creation of subforums. No creation of multiple threads
  • Cons: Similar recs (if not the same) on the same thread, everything will be crammed and browsing through it will be complicated and confusing once it gets a certain amount of replies. It also limits the specification and discussion one could have when a thread is made for a user in particular, making it less efficient and accurate.

4: Keep things as they are

• Pros: No sub forums will need to be added
  • Cons: Suggestion threads will keep appearing both on the VN board and on the anime/manga board when these boards are mostly for discussion

Edited the title for clarity. I still think it's a good idea, but I don't know what kind of limit we should settle on in terms of overall number of forums/sub-forums. Two sub-forums for this is definitely too much.

That's why i'm more supportive of option 1 which is just one subforum that solves many problems at once. 

Not only can it be used for Anime and VNs but anything else in general. Games, sites, books, whatever you can think of.

This would also clear out all suggestion threads in all forums and put it all in the same place. Making the VN discussion and anime/manga discussion boards about discussion only.

Why not make a sub forum spam free with only people dropping personnal thoughs on a certain VN.

For example 1 thread per Novel.

Everybody throws their impression about it.

Then anyone can find others opinions on any VN and therefor chose to read it or not.

Kinda like a Critics sub forum.

Why not make a sub forum spam free with only people dropping personnal thoughs on a certain VN.

Everybody throws their impression about it.

Then anyone can find others opinions on any VN and therefor chose to read it or not.

Kinda like a Critics sub forum.

That's what the VN discussion board is for though. You can discuss any particular VN you'd like and criticize it. No need for a sub forum.

If there is demand then someone will create a discussion thread about it. No need to create a thread for every single novel when some might not be discussed.

This is about threads like: "Could you suggest me a good sci-fi VN?" or "Anyone know of a nice horror anime?"

If you have a thread that has your personal tastes and preferences then it's much more efficient to recommend stuff. And to avoid these threads from filling discussion boards since they're not really discussion related for most part, a sub forum should be made for them.

There was an attempt to do something a bit like this during the early days of Fuwanovel. It didn't work well.

Ideally, the VN talk forum would contain such threads with everyone dropping their thoughts in a constructed way and discussing opinions, but not a lot of VNs have their threads.

Yes. That's what the VN forums is for. There's plenty of threads discussing specific VNs.

Not that many, the sub forum is filled with ... i don't know ... stuff.

There were so few threads dedicated to proper critic and discussion that i felt reluctant about doing some since I though it wasn't the subforum's purpose.

Not that many, the sub forum is filled with ... i don't know ... stuff.

There were so few threads dedicated to proper critic and discussion that i felt reluctant about doing some since I though it wasn't the subforum's purpose.

The VN discussion is a forum not a sub forum. Thus things like VN critique, review, discussion and even VN news go there.

By sub forum i mean stuff like The spam realm Games and Chatter which doesn't contribute to post count and is a place where you can discuss anything irrelevant or slightly relevant (but mostly irrelevant).

My idea was to create a subforum for suggestions to avoid these from being posted in the main forums, making the main forums discussion only and the suggestion sub forums suggestion only. It doesn't even have to count for post count as well since it's just a suggestion not a discussion.

It's totally encouraged though. Most people would rather drop a few lines in the "What are you playing" thread, but you should be able to find partners for proper discussion. And even if you don't a critic is always appreciated.

Visual Novel Talk first page : 1 Review / Maybe 2 ( about Little Busters but not well edited)

Lots of VN related talk but mostly preference/hate or polls type of thread.

A few really interesting ones such as Kaguya's top 50.

And unrelated stuff.

This does feel like a kind of mess.

I would love to make more dedicated threads since talking about Vn's and sharing my experience is really something i'm looking foward to

Visual Novel Talk first page : 1 Review / Maybe 2 ( about Little Busters but not well edited)

Lots of VN related talk but mostly preference/hate or polls type of thread.

A few really interesting ones such as Kaguya's top 50.

And unrelated stuff.

This does feel like a kind of mess.

I would love to make more dedicated threads since talking about Vn's and sharing my experience is really something i'm looking foward to

Feel free to post anything of that sort. I'm sure someone will gladly discuss it with you.  Like Down said it's encouraged to do that.

The VN forums is a little messy but it's still mostly VN related stuff.

Moving the suggest me a VN threads to a single place would clear a lot of the non discussion threads.