[Submission] VN/anime recommendation sub-forum

Alucard

One thing i think should be kept in mind is that perhaps there aren't many threads made for this because people don't want to spam the forums with suggestion threads. 

Having a subforum for this kind of stuff would invite more people to actively participate in suggestions.

Of course this is just a hypothesis but i believe it's reasonable.

One thing i think should be kept in mind is that perhaps there aren't many threads made for this because people don't want to spam the forums with suggestion threads. 

Having a subforum for this kind of stuff would invite more people to actively participate in suggestions.

Of course this is just a hypothesis but i believe it's reasonable.

I think it would invite less replies, though. While it's mixed it's all okay, but I wouldn't have the motivation to enter a forum solely to suggest VNs to people.

Also, I highly doubt newbies care about spamming, and everyone who's been here long enough should know that asking for a suggestion is completely acceptable. 

I think it would invite less replies, though. While it's mixed it's all okay, but I wouldn't have the motivation to enter a forum solely to suggest VNs to people.

Also, I highly doubt newbies care about spamming, and everyone who's been here long enough should know that asking for a suggestion is completely acceptable. 

Going into a forum to help people on purpose. Blasphemy!

I'm just trying to find some valid reason for why a suggestion dedicated subforum should exist. Although i see your point. I guess it's okay for now since there isn't really a massive income of these threads.

Most of the anime recommendations are also within random anime threads. I remember asking for suggestions in the "what anime are you watching" thread several times.

I don't like the idea of a recommendation sub-forum. those threads are rarely made and people looking for suggestions usually ask for them in their intro threads, if they stick around enough they would ask a more experienced member personally or the whole community for them but not many members stick around that much.

On the other hand fuwanovel's motto is "Make visual novels popular in the west" so i would reconsider the sub-forum idea. 

I'm still for a subforum for this. But it should probably be made as a separate forum and not a sub for simplicity's sake since it should be for all reccomendations and not just for VN's. Animesuki has one of these and it works really great and keeps the forums non cluttered. While several people here have said that they don't mind the recommendation threads I do mind them and would prefer that they stayed somewhere else since threads like that aren't actually for discussion. Since they center around a specific individual it means that they die really soon.

Similarly a general question thread for small stuff that people want to ask that doesn't require the creation of a new thread would be a worthwhile addition as well I think. There have been some threads which basically went like Person 1:Asks Question, Person 2: Yeah, Person 3: yeah, *thread dies since person 1 has had their question answered*

I'm still for a subforum for this. But it should probably be made as a separate forum and not a sub for simplicity's sake since it should be for all reccomendations and not just for VN's. Animesuki has one of these and it works really great and keeps the forums non cluttered. While several people here have said that they don't mind the recommendation threads I do mind them and would prefer that they stayed somewhere else since threads like that aren't actually for discussion. Since they center around a specific individual it means that they die really soon.

Similarly a general question thread for small stuff that people want to ask that doesn't require the creation of a new thread would be a worthwhile addition as well I think. There have been some threads which basically went like Person 1:Asks Question, Person 2: Yeah, Person 3: yeah, *thread dies since person 1 has had their question answered*

So perhaps something like a Questions board is what you're asking?

Where not only you can ask for recommendations but you can ask about other things.

An example would be this thread that was just created today: https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/3333-quick-question-age-rating/

I stull suport a subforums but the lack of influx of suggestion threads makes it hard to prove my point on why it's a nice addition or why it's needed.

I'd like to ask if it was possible to just create the forum/sub-forum for a limited period of time (at first) to see how active it'd be come. And then draw conclusions from there on wether it's needed or not.

Discussing hypothesis forever won't bring any data.

If people are interested in this or other subforums, it would be very helpful to us if you'd compile the points made for/against them in this (or another) topic.  I'd be happy to consider the suggestions anew, but I don't have the time right now to compile them myself.

Thanks!

There's currently 8 threads asking for VN recs on the first page of the Visual Novel subforum. There's a total of 28 threads on the first page not counting the pinned ones. That means that almost a third of the threads on the first page are about getting recommendations (I'm not counting clephas' list threads, just the threads were the first post is asking for recs) This is in my opinion enough to justify the creation of a subforum. I don't have time to make a new thread with the pros and cons for a subforum right now but I'll try to create one later this week.

I think there's tons of pros for it though. Especially since people can look through old threads easily and see if someone has asked for something similiar.

EDIT: I went back to page five and checked how many threads were VN recs. Remember there's 30 threads on a page normally but only 28 on the first since there's two pinned threads. (And again I'm not counting list threads)

Page 1: 8 threads asking for recs

Page 2: 5 threads. Of those, 3 are asking for recs and 2 are telling people to ask them for recs.

Page 3: 6 threads asking for recs

Page 4: 5 threads asking for recs

Page 5: 5 threads asking for recs

This means that about 1/5 of the threads on the first 5 pages are rec threads unless my math is wrong.

I'll try to sum up what has been said so that we can move on on this topic.

Pb: Recommendations. Wat do?

Point 1: Single centralized recommendation thread (1) vs. Individual threads (2):

(1) Pros:

*Everything in the same place. Less entropy equals good.

(2) Pros:

*It's easier to keep track of previous recommendations to avoid redundancy

*Everything in one thread would be confusing (recommendation overlaps, etc) and leave less room for expression

I think the majority votes that (2) is overall better?

Point 2: New subforum (1) vs. Everything left as is in VN talk (2)

(1) Pros:

*Filter out the rec threads from VN talk -> more place for discussion-only threads.

*We can also make it an anime/manga/games recommendation sub-forums

*We can also put there great threads such as Kaguya's and Clephas' lists, and make an index pointing to them

(2) Pros:

*One less sub-forum. Again, less entropy.

*There might not be enough activity in that new sub-forum (-> see Beato's figures above against that argument)

*Recommendation can overlap with actual discussion

And according to Yukiru's figures, there are for the moment six in favor and one against.

Did I forgot something or got something wrong?

I'll try to sum up what has been said so that we can move on on this topic.

Pb: Recommendations. Wat do?

Point 1: Single centralized recommendation thread (1) vs. Individual threads (2):

(1) Pros:

*Everything in the same place. Less entropy equals good.

(2) Pros:

*It's easier to keep track of previous recommendations to avoid redundancy

*Everything in one thread would be confusing (recommendation overlaps, etc) and leave less room for expression

I think the majority votes that (2) is overall better?

Point 2: New subforum (1) vs. Everything left as is in VN talk (2)

(1) Pros:

*Filter out the rec threads from VN talk -> more place for discussion-only threads.

*We can also make it an anime/manga/games recommendation sub-forums

*We can also put there great threads such as Kaguya's and Clephas' lists, and make an index pointing to them

(2) Pros:

*One less sub-forum. Again, less entropy.

*There might not be enough activity in that new sub-forum (-> see Beato's figures above against that argument)

*Recommendation can overlap with actual discussion

And according to Yukiru's figures, there are for the moment six in favor and one against.

Did I forgot something or got something wrong?

No I'm pretty sure that's everything that needed to be pointed out.

Beato's data really helped and honestly I think with the creation of the sub-forum could bring more activity because it's a board dedicated to suggestions which also invites more people to post these types of threads.

I'm still for the generalized suggestion sub forum (anime/vns/games/etc)

One thing i think wasn't fully agreed is wether or not posting in this forum will go to post count and I think that should be discussed as well if the idea goes forward.

One thing i think wasn't fully agreed is wether or not posting in this forum will go to post count and I think that should be discussed as well if the idea goes forward.

Eh... well, post count doesn't seem to be a big deal for me. If there are people who really care about their post count and want to spam, they'll find other ways to do it anyway. If we make this sub-forum postcount-less, we might as well make the Introduce Yourself forum postcount-less too, it's just the same kind of potential abuse. But I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Eh... well, post count doesn't seem to be a big deal for me. If there are people who really care about their post count and want to spam, they'll find other ways to do it anyway. If we make this sub-forum postcount-less, we might as well make the Introduce Yourself forum postcount-less too, it's just the same kind of potential abuse. But I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Fair enough. 

I don't particularly mind it going to post count as long as the board is not being abused but then again there's the report button for a reason if such a case were the happen.

Now let's just wait for Tay to give his input.

Oh this isn't the topic I replied to xD I swear there was literally the same topic somewhere.
(Oh it was in the staff section where we decided to let the topics in the VN discussion and anime discussion as they are)

What I said there was that recommendation topics are individual and personal for each person asking so it is better to keep them separated.
Sure, not everyone makes it long like the one I did but some people make pretty awesome ones, like from some I remember the assigning stars to the VN and such. People can be creative with these topics and it makes for nice discussion - and that's why I was against a single thread.

As for single subforum, I was saying that it will just make the topics disappear from the main discussion and as such some people will ignore (just like I most of the time ignore games & chatter as I don't like useless discussions on forums).

And a new forum section would make the forum even messier, less forum sections the better.

And also one of the arguments was - recommending VN or anime usually leads to pretty good VN or Anime discussion and as such they belong to the VN discussion and Anime discussion forums respectively.

And there you have it.

Very few of these threads have generated any kind of discussion and they do take up space. Animesuki has a subforum for recommendations that works  greatly.

While some people will ignore those topics other people will actually look over them. I would be more inclined to recommend things to someone if they were all in a separate forum because then I could keep track on old threads and refer them to them as well as recommend new stuff. It will also encourage people to actually ask for recommendations.