[In Progress] 1/22/2014 Forums Updates – Please come and share your thoughts!

Tay

Hello everybody,

I hope the maintenance today didn’t bother too many of you.  If your posts were eaten by bouts of maintenance, at least you can take solace in the knowledge that you weren’t alone.  I managed to get through approximately half of the work I wanted to do, so that’s good. (It also means that more maintenance will be coming, but I haven’t planned a time for it, yet). 

You’ve probably noticed some of the changes: 
  • Member of the Month – A new tradition is born!  Each month we’ll be choosing a member of the community to spotlight/celebrate.  If the member’s up for it, I’d love to do a community spotlight on the Visual Novel Aer blog, too.  I haven’t decided on how we should pick each month’s MotM – do you have any suggestions?  Should it be a nomination system? Something else?  I’d love to hear your thoughts.
  • We now have a Facebook blurb on the index.  Does it look okay?  Any complaints/suggestions?
  • A lot of under-the-hood improvements/maintenance was carried out.  Please report bugs!

And… most important of all…
AWARDS!  (Please, please, please share your thoughts on this!  Help me make this cool!)

Fuwanovel is now the proud parent of an awards system.  By default we have two “classifications” of awards: honors and achievements.  Honors are bestowed for any reason under the sun, and achievements refer to accomplishing actions which help the site.  I'm still ironing out some kinks in the system, though.

I’ve created a handful of awards, but I need suggestions for more!  LOTS more! Help me think of honors/achievements and please suggest icons to go along with them, too!  (need to be 40x40 pixels).

Right now I made awards for:
  • HONORS: Personalized awards for the staff (more coming for former staff, just ran out of time)
  • HONORS: The year you joined Fuwanovel (2012 gets a special one because it was the rebirth year of the site) Not working.
  • ACHIEVEMENTS: Post count milestones (the forums rank system (the pips under the avatars) celebrates milestones up to 300 posts, but these badges go up much, much further)
  • ACHIEVEMENTS: Posting walkthroughs will get you honors.  You qualify for progressively higher and higher ranking awards for 1, 3, 5, and 10 walkthroughs (some of our members already got to 10!)

But this is just the beginning!
We could make awards for those who “lived through” Fuwapocalypse 1, 2 and 3.  We could make awards for the people who won Batman’s giveaways (and those who survived them – which is an achievement in its own right!).  We need to make an honor for batman and others who do giveaways.  What about ways to earn your own honor (like I made for some of the members/staff)? Etc. et. Etc.

Will you help me think of more ideas?   Also, some of the icons are pretty crappy.  I’m absolutely game for changing them out.

Just because I have nothing better to do, here's all the awards I could find:

Postcount1500.png - 1500 posts

Postcount1000.png - 1000 posts

Postcount500.png - 500 posts

WalkthroughsPlatinum.png - Post 10 walkthroughs

WalkthroughsGold.png - Post 5 walkthroughs

WalkthroughsSilver.png - Post 3 walkthroughs

WalkthroughsBronze.png - Post a walkthrough

Staff.png - Be a staff member

Batman.png - Be Batman

Steve.png - Be Steve

Kendjin.png - Be Kendjin

Kaguya.png - Be Kaguya

Ryoji.png - Be Ryoji

Zhurai.png - Be Zhurai

Retrans.png - Be REtrans

Luch.png - Be Luch

ilegend.png - Be ilegend

Harry.png - Be harry_kinomoto

Beato.png - Be Beato

Edit: Hold on a second! Now I see why you were suddenly more active, Tay! You sly dog! xD

Great work Tay (and whoever else worked on this)! I absolutely love the user of the month addition. I think its a great way to recognize and show off the users of the site. I'm not so sure on how we could decide on who is the UOTM. Voting and nominations have both their ups and downs. Though I think it would be nice to have special exceptions in the month if a user were to do something especially over the top and helpful.

And as for the awards, again, I love it! It feels great to show off some achievments you have accomplished. (totally not bragging about my platinum walthrough badge). I don't have any ideas for new badges and ideas at the moment, but trust me, I'm going to be thinking.

Again, great work to everyone who helped with this!

Great work Tay (and whoever else worked on this)! I absolutely love the user of the month addition. I think its a great way to recognize and show off the users of the site. I'm not so sure on how we could decide on who is the UOTM. Voting and nominations have both their ups and downs. Though I think it would be nice to have special exceptions in the month if a user were to do something especially over the top and helpful.

And as for the awards, again, I love it! It feels great to show off some achievments you have accomplished. (totally not bragging about my platinum walthrough badge). I don't have any ideas for new badges and ideas at the moment, but trust me, I'm going to be thinking.

Again, great work to everyone who helped with this!

It was just me working on it.  Thus the reason it took so long ;P.  Thank  you for the feedback -- and yes, please, I'd love ideas from everybody.  I think there's a lot of potential here:  tournaments, competitions, giveaways... you name it.

Just because I have nothing better to do, here's all the awards I could find:

Postcount1500.png - 1500 posts

Postcount1000.png - 1000 posts

Postcount500.png - 500 posts

WalkthroughsPlatinum.png - Post 10 walkthroughs

WalkthroughsGold.png - Post 5 walkthroughs

WalkthroughsSilver.png - Post 3 walkthroughs

WalkthroughsBronze.png - Post a walkthrough

Staff.png - Be a staff member

Batman.png - Be Batman

Steve.png - Be Steve

Kendjin.png - Be Kendjin

Kaguya.png - Be Kaguya

Ryoji.png - Be Ryoji

Zhurai.png - Be Zhurai

Retrans.png - Be REtrans

Luch.png - Be Luch

ilegend.png - Be ilegend

Harry.png - Be harry_kinomoto

Beato.png - Be Beato

Edit: Hold on a second! Now I see why you were suddenly more active, Tay! You sly dog! xD

Click on the "Awards" tab.  They should all be there, now ;).  You're very good at this.

So Member of the month is a good idea, and it could work by some kind of voting system.

I don't personnaly like the facebook feature, because it doesn't blend with the website well (blue<>green) and it doesn't feel necessary.

Award thing is a good idea, but I feel like it would be really hard for new members to get.

I see it as something encouraging people to ge involved, but people new to VN or new to the forums wouldn't really get anything out of it.

It only rewards older members.

So maybe make it more progressive so people can climb up the ladder one step after another.

The award images don't go well with the website, maybe we could redesign them so tyey fit the theme more.

As for actual suggestions, move the member of the month thing to the very top. Its design differs from the simple lists above and below it, so it seems to me like it should just be above them all.

Of course, there needs to be a member of the month badge. That's a no-brainer.

I'm hesitant to say friend/rep badges because that might encourage whoring friends/rep.

Since I want to be meta, there should be an awards award.

Perhaps a birthday award for celebrating your birthday here? Dunno how you'd avoid abuse, though.

Click on the "Awards" tab.  They should all be there, now ;).  You're very good at this.

All of my efforts - for naught! Doesn't change how sly you are though. :-P

For now, I'll be popping in and out when I get some ideas. Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge or experience with photoshop, so I can't help with the icons. Anyway, onto ideas.

Someone who had been featured in the user spotlight.

People that contributed to Visual Novel Aer

People with their own blog (iffy on this one at the moment)

Translators

People who are participating in certain projects, like the Fuwanovel creations, Solidbatman's VN project, or Kanpachi's dubbing project

Osu! players, or players of any other popular game or MMO

I also liked the idea about the Fuwapocalypse survivors

That's all I have right now. I'll probably come back later with more ideas.

Ill write longer post later, for now I just want to say that I love it, however I would mad some graphical changes to the new features, for example I would try to make all icons transparent icons and not a square with image on it (im pro at this after making the mini icons for TS and icons for some other stuff :P).

Next thing I have are some minor changes to the layout of the MOTM (for example I wouldn't include all the stats there, but instead the message that is under the N button).

well more later when I have time to write an essay :) But count with me to improve the icons.

Next thing I have are some minor changes to the layout of the MOTM (for example I wouldn't include all the stats there, but instead the message that is under the N button).

I'm looking into how to change the wording there.  I didn't write it, just FYI.  The language was so beautifully alien, though, I couldn't bring myself to delete it just yet : ).

EDIT:  Also, we can add room for more trophies.  We can display 9, 12, or however many.  Six seemed like a decent jumping off point, though.  (People can add trophies to their signatures and other places, too.  More info on this later)

Why isn't there an award for being Tay? there should be two or three of those~

About the member of the month, it would end up like this:

January- Down

February- Tay

March- Batman

April- Tay

And such, there are not enough members so it would become difficult in the future if active members don't join, regardless of that i liked the idea.

I didn't like the facebook plugin, there's already one in the main page and that many things make an ugly blank space.

I like the idea of upload badges; also tech support post badges (especially if actually insightful); #totallynotbecauseitswhatIhavedone

I'll also say that the left field is getting pretty big by now, stretching the vertical size of posts quite a bit in some cases. Be careful not to let this creep much more, if at all.

Awards for living through the fuwapocalypses sound pretty cool. 

You should totally change the pic of my award to my current avatar and change the name of the award to "Legendary Spammer", seeing as I don't like the current pic and that's the oldest gag surrounding me. Though Mighty Kaguya Ranger doesn't sound half bad either.

Maybe giving awards for making a certain number of threads? Or to participating actively on the Fuwanovel Improvements or Tech Support forum?

Maybe VN master for those who posted enough on the VN Talk forum, Anime Library for the anime/manga forum and Fuwa Tech for the fuwanovel improvements and tech support forums. I skipped a few because I wasn't sure of a name for them, but you got the gist of it.

Tay indeed needs an award. 

Also, Yukiru, you can just close the facebook tab and then the size will be better, in case it really bothers you.

zYAcXR1.png

Ok, my full reply:

Member of the Month

- better text inside it, instead of stats, otherwise awesome box.

- as for position, since it will be there whole month, I would actually move it under "Recent Topics", reason for that is that recent topics often stay few hours, while MOTM will be there for a long time for everyone to notice. I would make it Recent, then Birthdays (those are there only 1 day), then MOTM.

Facebook bar

- I am not sure if it fits there, everything is green and suddenly blue facebook

Awards

- Tay needs an award xD

- the button in the user info field is too big, the "User's Awards", its too fat, maybe it can be just text or at least as small as the buttons on the bottom of the posts.

- I think you cold fit 4 icons on one line, and I maybe if its possible to have users set which award they want to showcase so you don't show like 5, 3, 1 WT etc (those should only show the best achieved). Similarly it works in sc2 for example, you showcase 3 achievements you want in your profile and for rest people have to check your profile.

- some of the icons could indeed use some graphical improvements, I can do that and I like doing stuff like that in photoshop so it shouldn't be a problem. Main thing is that the icons should be transparent so it looks like they fit the background, just like for example the walkthrough trophies.

- some interesting ideas surely come to mind, just like your mentioned "survived fuwapocalypse"

We need a loli protector one too. And one for people that makes popular threads (although this one would be won by Nosebleed most of the time (?)).

It's a pretty cool idea by the way, I always loved things like awards or achievements :'D

Edit: Also, I would be willing to do some of the icons, new ones or others that you think need some tweaks (for example, I particularly don't like the thumbs up one, is so Facebook-ish ;u;)

First of all, thanks for all the effort you put into making the forums better <3

Second, in the "Awards" tab, in each award there's a button on the far right that reads "view awarded" that does nothing when i click it, I guess it was supposed to pop-up some kind of window showing every one that has said award? Also, the facebook thing feels kinda odd, but i guess is no biggie since you can hide it easily, anyways, so far this is all i've got :3

Okay, here's my idea. Like Steve, I believe in not showing all of the awards at once- We should let people choose three to show in every post and have the rest appear in their profile.

Besides that, do not have the black "user awards" box while still showing the awards. Like that, there's basically no problems with the size of posts. Like this.

Also, forgive me for the bad job with paint. It's just so that you have an idea. I think this size is quite reasonable. Oh, the scribbles in black are to not show the IP of the user, in case anyone feels curious.

rV3V30g.png

I think it's not necessary to show +500/1000/1500/2000 post at the same time.

If you have +1000 post, then don't show the 500 one.

Same for the VN walkthroughs.

Is it really that big? o.o most of the posts here are even bigger than the widht of the awards thingie, so I don't really see how they're taking that much space. ;u;

Kaguya's idea is good though, showing only three or something.

I was just quoting Steve, actually. The only thing different in my post is that I said to cut the "user awards" button entirely instead of making it smaller or just plain text.

If space is a problem why not making the user's awards button able to hide/show or just maximize/minimize the chosen awards instead of redirecting to X's profile, we wouldn't be able to show off our awards (i don't have any but talking this way makes it easier for me) but members

could show them off in their signatures.

Personally i think all that's needed to do is making the "User's Awards" button smaller.