Any good mystery VNs recently?

Vokoca

So, I'm reading Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, but thanks to the incredibly slow pace and the constant crashing, I'm taking my time with it, reading it in short bursts. That leaves the VN kind of off to the side, so I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some kind of a VN that just grabs your interest and won't let go? Something not purely romance-focused this time, though I definitely don't mind that element at all.

I've recently read Dunamis15 and Disorder6, is there anything in a similar vein? Something in English would be great, so I could take a breather from my Japanese struggles, though if there is something exceptionally good that wasn't translated yet, feel free to recommend that as well. :)

I'm looking for anything interesting, really. Here's what I've read already. Higurashi should be there as well, though I've never had the chance to read the whole thing, as I watched the anime and read the manga instead.

Thanks for the help! :)

For good VNs overall, you can check my 50 VNs list. Forest has some mystery elements and it's really nice (quite easy to fall in a bad end, though), and you should look at Sekien no Inganock and Shikkoku no Sharnoth, since both will make you think a lot about what's actually happening. All are translated.

Higurashi isn't much of a mystery though, it's more thriller/psychological horror. I haven't read the VNs you've listed, but you should try Umineko no Naku Koro ni, which is made by the same people as Higurashi, and it's a real mystery VN. Don't watch the anime though - it doesn't hold a candle to the original VN.

Whoops, you've already read it.  :unsure:

Higurashi isn't much of a mystery though, it's more thriller/psychological horror. I haven't read the VNs you've listed, but you should try Umineko no Naku Koro ni, which is made by the same people as Higurashi, and it's a real mystery VN. Don't watch the anime though - it doesn't hold a candle to the original VN.

Gotta check dat VNDB link first xD

I almost suggested Umineko, Dangan Ronpa, G-Senjou and S;G. I'll leave the titles here for anyone else who likes this kind of story (though S;G and G-senjou aren't exactly mysteries).

For good VNs overall, you can check my 50 VNs list. Forest has some mystery elements and it's really nice (quite easy to fall in a bad end, though), and you should look at Sekien no Inganock and Shikkoku no Sharnoth, since both will make you think a lot about what's actually happening. All are translated.

Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely have to check these out.

Haha, yeah. I've thoroughly enjoyed Umineko, one of my favourite VNs out there. As for the thriller/psychological horror thing, I really like that as well - I've absolutely loved the first half of Chaos;Head for that same reason. I'm always looking for VNs like that as well. :D

Now that I look at my list again, I've never really started Cross+Channel properly. Is that a good read? Might get that out of the way first, since I should probably still have it on my phone.

Loved G-Senjou and S;G as well. Whatever that genre is, I really like it. :D

Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely have to check these out.

Haha, yeah. I've thoroughly enjoyed Umineko, one of my favourite VNs out there. As for the thriller/psychological horror thing, I really like that as well - I've absolutely loved the first half of Chaos;Head for that same reason. I'm always looking for VNs like that as well. :D

Now that I look at my list again, I've never really started Cross+Channel properly. Is that a good read? Might get that out of the way first, since I should probably still have it on my phone.

Loved G-Senjoy and S;G as well. Whatever that genre is, I really like it. :D

the translation isn't really good, but the VN has a great story- go for it!

I liked the first half of Chaos;Head for the same reasons, but it went downhill later on and I didn't enjoy it as much later on.

Cross Channel is a really good read, although it's not a mystery. It's kind of a psychological thriller, but isn't not that much of a thriller. Basically it's just psycho. :P

I liked the first half of Chaos;Head for the same reasons, but it went downhill later on and I didn't enjoy it as much later on.

Cross Channel is a really good read, although it's not a mystery. It's kind of a psychological thriller, but isn't not that much of a thriller. Basically it's just psycho. :P

Is it? I read it as a drama of sorts. Taichi is awesome, though.

Psycho? Sounds good to me - looks like I'm reading that first. :D And even worse translations are still a nice break from constantly looking up kanji.  :lol:

Chaos;head is good but I dropped it due to the bad font.....(though many said the problem fixed by changing fonts it keeps going off screen for me)

Dangan Ronpa is really enjoyable, I suggest to play this one if you like detective type story of sort

Cross Channel is....I gotta say its decent. It's not entirely awesome but its not disappointing too

If you want good puzzle, I can only think Kara No Shoujo as the top list

And probably Remember 11 for me, due to fact that it really is HARD to get the best ending (Though personally I love games from that company)

And if you want some hidden routes stuff, play ReWrite, I personally cannot stop when playing it......(spoiler : the best part comes when you think you have ENDED it)

Chaos;head is good but I dropped it due to the bad font.....(though many said the problem fixed by changing fonts it keeps going off screen for me)

Dangan Ronpa is really enjoyable, I suggest to play this one if you like detective type story of sort

Cross Channel is....I gotta say its decent. It's not entirely awesome but its not disappointing too

If you want good puzzle, I can only think Kara No Shoujo as the top list

And probably Remember 11 for me, due to fact that it really is HARD to get the best ending (Though personally I love games from that company)

And if you want some hidden routes stuff, play ReWrite, I personally cannot stop when playing it......(spoiler : the best part comes when you think you have ENDED it)

I've played DanganRonpa, Kara no Shoujo and Rewrite. :)

Remember11 sounds good, I've loved Ever17 and Virtue's Last Reward. Though I've heard Remember11 is perhaps a bit too open-ended, so I'm kind of wary. Definitely will check it out someday, though.

I've played DanganRonpa, Kara no Shoujo and Rewrite. :)

Remember11 sounds good, I've loved Ever17 and Virtue's Last Reward. Though I've heard Remember11 is perhaps a bit too open-ended, so I'm kind of wary. Definitely will check it out someday, though.

You should check it out, even if it is incomplete. Remember 11 does suspense pretty well, and most of the mystery stuff you can figure it out with the clues presented. It also has a shitload of bad endings, but sadly only a few of those are relevant to the overall plot. For the more obscure stuff, remember to bookmark this page for when you finish it: http://explainremember11.wordpress.com/. It's incomplete, but the link to the full japanese version is there.

Wow, I know you said the translation wasn't very good, but the "sempai" is bothering me way more than it should... also the MC, eh.

Having a hard time getting into this, so I hope it'll be worth it. :D

Wow, I know you said the translation wasn't very good, but the "sempai" is bothering me way more than it should... also the MC, eh.

Having a hard time getting into this, so I hope it'll be worth it. :D

The mc seems like your average pervert at first, but he gets much, much better  

Rest of the Infinity series maybe?

I'm planning on checking out Remember11 eventually, at the very least. Any other noteworthy titles in the series?

If I was to drop the mystery aspect already, how about just some VNs that are pretty dark in general? I'm just wondering if I'm still missing out on some sort of a popular title. I think I've read most of them already, but you never know...

The only title I have read in the Infinity series is Ever17 so I can't help you there.

Nitro+ titles are probably a good choice Kikokugai, Togainu no Chi and Sweet Pool are supposed to be some pretty dark shit (haven't read them yet so I can't comment on how good they are)

Oh, great tip! I will have to check those out - I've loved the Nitro+ things I've read so far, Saya no Uta probably being the best example. I really want to read Muramasa since I hear great things about that, but my Japanese is nowhere near a good enough level for that.

If You want Mystery and Suspense, something to keep you interested and make you think what will happen next.

You could try 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors.

It's a great Life and Death Suspenser with loads of mystery about the Great Nonary Game and it's 9 Participants.

Played it and loved the game, planning to play it's sequel next.

Pretty dark-themed if you ask me.

Oh it's also a puzzle solver game so just giving you a heads up.

If You want Mystery and Suspense, something to keep you interested and make you think what will happen next.

You could try 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors.

It's a great Life and Death Suspenser with loads of mystery about the Great Nonary Game and it's 9 Participants.

Played it and loved the game, planning to play it's sequel next.

Pretty dark-themed if you ask me.

Oh it's also a puzzle solver game so just giving you a heads up.

Yeah, I would definitely like to read that, but I feel like Virtue's Last Reward spoiled it for me. Well, who knows, I will still check it out eventually, thanks for the tip! 

EVE burst error's pretty good if you can look past the cheezy translation.

Oof, that's old school. O: I'll add that to my backlog, thanks. :)

As an update on Cross+Channel, read some more of it and the character finally got more interesting (meaning messed up), which caught my interest. Still not quite there, but I feel like it could become really interesting soon. I'm starting to like how bizarre the whole thing is; it was kind of off-putting at first, though it might become one of its charms in the end.