Voiced Narrator

wattstax

A good example for a VN with voiced monologues is the Dvd-Version of "Hourglass of Summer". And in my opinion it has done a great deal, both for atmosphere and characterization of the protagonist.

But I never think of the protagonist of myself. It's the same for me like reading a book in first-person-perspective - just part of the story.

Voicing inner monologues are super cool though. The Steampunk series does this and its fantastic how it adds to the atmosphere. They are mostly written in third person though so there aren't that many monologues.

A good example for a VN with voiced monologues is the Dvd-Version of "Hourglass of Summer". And in my opinion it has done a great deal, both for atmosphere and characterization of the protagonist.

But I never think of the protagonist of myself. It's the same for me like reading a book in first-person-perspective - just part of the story.

Sounds awesome! The only thing that came close that I've read was in Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, where the entire first chapter was voiced, including the narration. Since it was all told from the perspective of a single character, it was pretty damn awesome, if a bit unusual. :)

It is also incredibly helpful when reading Japanese. :D

On the topic of "putting yourself into the VN", does anyone actually do that? Even if the character is effectively just a blank slate and they even let you pick a name - or, to make an extreme example, even if there is a game that lets you even create your character - don't you just treat it as "your" character at best? When I make a character, I don't put myself in the story, it is just another member of the cast. Whether it's a silent protagonist in a game, or an unvoiced MC in a VN, it is always a character to me, not 'myself'.

That doesn't mean I'm completely detached from the story, though. VNs usually do a wonderful job at making me feel exactly the way the main character feels, maybe even too well at times (Yuuji in Grisaia effectively ruined my fondness of tsunderes and twisted them into annoying and laughable beings for quite a long period of time :D), though I wouldn't say that's because they aren't voiced - that's because they have their inner monologues written out. And there is absolutely no need to actually voice these, so I wouldn't say the main character necessarily has a higher amount of lines than anyone else by a large margin.

But yeah, in short, I do feel with the main characters, but I've never even thought I'm him. I'm really curious if anyone actually does? 

I don't think I've ever purposely done it, but when playing Kanon and Clannad (both of which I played without voices so I didn't hear them referring to me as Tomoya or Yuuichi) I used my real name, and it really did sort of feel like I was part of the story.