Broken HDD data recovery (IT People?)

jeffhwang

Indeed, re-downloading everything will be free and who knows maybe you don't even want some of the older stuff.

Data recovery for few terabytes of data will cost you thousands of $.

I lost my drive with TV series and anime too and at first I thought how it sucks but then it actually didn't bother me that much (I got the drive exchanged since it was still in warranty but not sure if you can do the same since it will be obvious that it was your fault you broke it if you dropped it). Be glad that it wasn't a drive with some unfinished work or something that you didn't backup somewhere else.

the thing that depresses me is the fact i have to start all my vns all over again from the beg. and i had lots of cg packs in my hd

CGs should not be that hard to find, they should be on nyaa.

As for VN saves its not that big of a problem either unless you play gameplay VNs, because for normal non gameplay VNs you can mostly just CTRL through the stuff in few minutes (should take you max 30 mintues per VN to get you where you were if you remember).

You can ask people to help you getting to some specific position if you don't exactly remember where in the VN it was.

im busy also crying over a lost Drive..a few months ago i lost my 2 Tb drive to a malfunction, my computer picks it up but lloses connection ..so i cant recover it myself, but my dad is in It and says that if i find another drive like mine , we can swap out that main bored for power with this one and it should work...

Allthough i doubt we got the same problem, thought i might share it.

sorry for going about your topic :\..

if i find another drive like mine , we can swap out that main bored for power with this one and it should work...

Yep, that's the way they handle some problems on recovery companies. However you have to find a disk from the same series as minor differences exist between them. And also you need a special screwdriver that stops once the screws reach "perfect stability", or it'll be uneven and the platters will wobble.

Dropped drive = physical damage = $$$ for recovery

Unless you have some irreplaceable data on there, it wouldn't be worth it to do a recovery.

Remember this advice to keep your data safe:

"If it's not backed up, it's not data you want to keep."

If it's a removable hard drive consider getting an SSD instead, those are much more shock-resistant (they have their own disadvantages, but being irreparably damaged in one drop isn't one of them.)

im busy also crying over a lost Drive..a few months ago i lost my 2 Tb drive to a malfunction, my computer picks it up but lloses connection ..so i cant recover it myself, but my dad is in It and says that if i find another drive like mine , we can swap out that main bored for power with this one and it should work...

Allthough i doubt we got the same problem, thought i might share it.

sorry for going about your topic :\..

ah damn im pretty jealous i wish i knew someone in IT so i could get this data recovery 

Dropped drive = physical damage = $$$ for recovery

Unless you have some irreplaceable data on there, it wouldn't be worth it to do a recovery.

Remember this advice to keep your data safe:

"If it's not backed up, it's not data you want to keep."

If it's a removable hard drive consider getting an SSD instead, those are much more shock-resistant (they have their own disadvantages, but being irreparably damaged in one drop isn't one of them.)

problem was that i was going to back it up keeping all my anime and whatnot on my hd was only temporary until i built my computer then i could have just dumped all of it in it and just used the hd for backup at that point

• 8 years later...

It's such a pain to recover the lost data from an HDD. Been there, done that lol. To be clear, you physically dropped the drive and caused physical damage, which made it stop working. Suppose your data is of any value to you. In that case, you should first seek professional data recovery services from a lab that will start by physically assessing the heads and platters before powering them on. If your data isn't worth the low-end rates of a few hundred bucks, then it is worth moving forward with DIY attempts, understanding that the drive may completely crash before you get a single file recovered.

Edited by sprinterca