Kimi ga Nozomu Eien ~LE~ sudden crashes

Vokoca

Hi,

I'm not sure if this belongs here, since this VN isn't translated, but I'm not sure where else to ask. I have a rather strange problem - the VN works like a charm, except for the times it decides to randomly shut down. There are no error messages, the game just suddenly quits. At first, I thought this might have somehting to do with the text-hooker, but running the VN on its own led to the same result. The only sign that something went wrong appears when I launch the VN again - it offers to run the VN in a safe mode, which, if I understand it right, disables all the audio and what not.

Does anyone know how to find out just what exactly causes this crash? It happens at random intervals, at random places. I'm running Windows 8.1 64bit (had the same issue with Win8), and I'm using the Locale Emulator to launch the VN. The engine is rUGP 5.8. I've read Muv Luv Extra and Alternative before, and I didn't have this issue.

I'm sorry for the vague info, just not sure what else to add.

As with other not so stable VNs I'll give you the sanity survival tricks:

1. Save, save, save, after every choice
  2. Be careful with the skips
  3. When it crashes, don't skip where it crashed, take it slow just there, maybe quick-save last remembered lines before it crashed.

These tricks has to be used in some VNs the programmers have made a bad work, also one should try to search for latest patch for VNs with known problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing this topic back up, but I had one more question.

I've tried the VN with VNR - and found out that it might just as well be translated there one way or the other. The only problem is that it runs really badly with VNR on, it periodically freezes about every 5 seconds, in regular intervals (even the OP!). I thought this might be because of my laptop being weak, though when I tried Muramasa, I didn't have that issue at all, so now I'm not so sure.

Does anyone know of a solution, or am I just out of luck?

Maybe it works better with ITH. And you then use Translator aggregator for displaying the extracted text + dictionary-lookup (mecab I recommend) or machine translation (I won't recommend). If you aren't going to use VNR to translate the VN this works, but you won't get the window floating on the top like in VNR.

Maybe it works better with ITH. And you then use Translator aggregator for displaying the extracted text + dictionary-lookup (mecab I recommend) or machine translation (I won't recommend). If you aren't going to use VNR to translate the VN this works, but you won't get the window floating on the top like in VNR.

Yeah, I'll stick to ITH and TA, it runs smoothly with those. Tried VNR with Meikyuu and Muramasa, and while it looks great on fullscreen, the dictionary definitely seems to work better in TA. I've also been using JParser, as that seemed somewhat more organised with the colour-coding.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Given the endless cycle of hope/disappointment surrounding proposed translation projects, I started playing this and I'm encountering the same frequent crash issues.  Unfortunately, running in Vista compatibility mode (recommended by the Windows 10 troubleshooter) appears to interfere with text hooking.  The crashes seem to coincide with screen animations, so I imagine it's some sort of issue with graphics instructions in memory.  I honestly didn't expect this game to be as buggy as School Days.

• 3 weeks later...