[Approved] Hottest Topics?

So, lately, we've been getting a lot of new members. That's obviously not a bad thing, but it made me think a bit about the "recent topics" window. It's always been quite useful to check what's new, but with the influx, a bunch of welcome threads end up taking a lot of the space there. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing. The introductions of new members are as important as any other thread. In fact, I'd say that they're a crucial part of what makes fuwanovel so user-friendly, which is great.

However, I thought it may be a tad bit too much. Not only with introductions, let's say the same thing happened with general disussions- you'd enter fuwanovel and see 3 threads about random discussions, one of a technical problem and one introduction- For a newcomer suddenly entering here to talk about VNs, I'd say that won't be much useful, will it? 

At the same time, that "recent topics" window still serves it's purpose to people who enter more. I want to check every new topic, regardless of what it is, and that thing is quite useful for this purpose- So I wouldn't say removing it is a good thing.

At first, I considered organizing the "recent topics" so that it had the latest post from VN talk, Fan Tl discussion, Introduction, Anime/manga talk and General discussions- subforums not included. 

However, I thought of something which may be better. I'm sure you all know of the blank space we have at the main page of the forums, right? This space right here:

D2ENoGe.png

So I though, why not make a window of the "hottest topics"? I don't know if that's possible to begin with, but in the idea that I had, it would check daily the 5 topics with the highest influx that day (maybe posts or views per topic, I don't know exactly what we would use). I think that would encourage more discussion on the forums while solving the"problem"- and besides, we don't use that space for anything anyway.

I think this is a good idea.

It sometimes happens that 5 posts are submitted in a short amount of time and so previous threads didn't receive the attention they could have had.

That's why I like to go through very old threads because i felt some were interesting but maybe weren't given enough attention.

That also makes me think about including a "recent answer" sort of shortcut even though it's far from necessary and finding hot topics (topics who get a lot of attention) is really easy, it can be a bonus.

But why would VN talk be removed from the recent topic selection ?

I like the recent topics window as well and completely agree that if it was better organized it would be more helpful.

The hottest topics idea sounds interesting I'd like to see it in some form. It should be refreshed every certain amount of time like 24/48 hours so we're always getting the hottest topics.

Also a something related since we're talking about organizing these boxes why not add a little subtitle below the title of the topic that corresponds to the board it's in. I think it would help knowing what board it belongs to so we know what we're getting into when we click the topic. Though some topics are straightforward there's plenty that you don't know until you check them for yourself.

Let's say there's a new introduction thread

It could look something like:

#Best_topic_title_ever_swag

Introduce Yourself

#Insert username - #Insert time

That way i'd know it's a thread in the Introduce Yourself board. This just randomly popped in my head. This can be an addition to your hottest topics window as well.

Maybe an introduction post for every subforum (it actually exists right here https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/975-introduction-to-fuwanovel/ ) linked to a box in the blank space, the introduction posts having links to hot topics either old or new. I think that would be less effort and more content if the hot topic box is accepted.

I really think this is a good idea. Since I just recently joined the forums, I wouldn't want to necrobump any threads.  :ph34r:

Comrade :')

This >is< off topic, so forgive me for a moment, but using monster reborn on dead threads is not really considered bad here. I did it consciously quite some times (it's actually something of a trademark of mine), and often, discussion was sparked again on those threads. In fact, I encourage you to do it, as long as it isn't spam :P (never thought me of all people would be talking to someone about spam....)

The idea of making the "hottest topics" here is not to stop people from reviving old threads- You may do that as you wish, as long as you feel like you have something to say about those topics. It's to get more people to view my 50 VNs thread highlit good topics that a lot of people would be interested into.

Also, Yukiru, that itself is a thread- I wanted something in the main forums page that every newcomer and visitor would see. That was supposed to be the meaning of this~

Actually i want to necrobump threads   :huh:

I got tricked !

Necrobump is the best. (Since their is a lot that has already been posted, it prevents from reposts)

The idea of making the "hottest topics" here is not to stop people from reviving old threads- You may do that as you wish, as long as you feel like you have something to say about those topics. It's to get more people to view maefdomn's bright new and neat thread and highlit good topics that a lot of people would be interested into.

Fixed :)

More seriously,

Perhaps we could first think about making the recent topics menu a bit longer and as you said filter it better.

But still finding a system than can allow us to easily welcome newcomers (By not denying introduction topics).

Or maybe doing a "recent topic" menu per-sub forum ?

But the idea of making the "hottest topics" wouldn't be to show more of the newer content- It would be to show what's picking the interest of most people at the moment. Old threads could still appear there, as long as they gathered enough views (or posts? or whatever criteria we're using). 

Those are all still great ideas to show more threads, though, and they shouldn't be dismissed :P I saw a lot of things that could be used and would be nice here. Thank you all, people~ (this kinda sounds like something is settled, but the whole topic is still open to discussion. I just felt like thanking you).

I really think this is a good idea. Since I just recently joined the forums, I wouldn't want to necrobump any threads.  :ph34r:

Necrobumping all comes down to common sense, as usual here. Don't necrobump a topic of a guy who asked for a recommendation or posted about a news 6 months ago (don't laugh, this happens all the times), but do bump an old debate thread - providing you're not going to repeat what's already been said before >_>

About Hot Topics, I don't really have an opinion. My way of browsing forums is to use the New Content panel all the time, so I get to see active topics bumping there more frequently

But you can find the hottest topic by clicking on a sub forum.

It's the thread on the top.

Or is it to have a direct link to the front page combining hot topics for all over the forum ?

But you can find the hottest topic by clicking on a sub forum.

It's the thread on the top.

Or is it to have a direct link to the front page combining hot topics for all over the forum ?

Yes, we would be showing them on the main page of the forums, at the blank space in the picture I posted. It would be a combination of all of our forums. The main idea here is to get newbies and outsiders more pumped up and encourage discussion about VNs or other interesting topics, really. It wouldn't be something for an experienced user.

^ Yup that's a pretty good concept. 

The design fits the front page and is pretty much was suggested kaguya.

I like it.

Now about doing it, how will that happen ? (If it's approved)

Having the hottest topics + the recent threads with 5 threads each would pretty much occupy that empty slot on the right side

Something like:

EUuayNh.jpg

I used the actual proportions.

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking of.

About how will it happen (if it does)- you guys shouldn't concern yourselves too much with it. We just need to argue the pros and cons of the idea, if it's approved, Nayleen should see wether it's viable or not. If you have any idea to better the forums but don't know how it would be carried out, don't hesitate to post it here- I myself made quite a few topics with just a mess of an idea with no concept of how it would be executed here before- This is in fact, another of those :P

I know a lot more about IPB now than I did back when we set up everything now thanks to Hollow Beats, so it shouldn't be a big deal to create this, I'd just need to know what exactly should be displayed there, as in: What are the criteria?

I've also got really important RL stuff to take care of, so this might not happen too soon even though it's a pretty easy thing to do, sorry.

I know a lot more about IPB now than I did back when we set up everything now thanks to Hollow Beats, so it shouldn't be a big deal to create this, I'd just need to know what exactly should be displayed there, as in: What are the criteria?

I've also got really important RL stuff to take care of, so this might not happen too soon even though it's a pretty easy thing to do, sorry.

Oh, so you're actually going to do it? Thank you, Nayleen :)

The criteria... Hm...  The idea was to pick the 5 topics that had the highest amount of influx that day, so I was thinking about either views or posts that the thread had that day.

I'd suggest excluding the "Introduce Yourself" posts -- those often get the "hot" tag and would probably elbow out all the other content.

That's true. If it's possible, it would be best if the "introduce yourself" posts didn't appear there.

I'd suggest excluding the "Introduce Yourself" posts -- those often get the "hot" tag and would probably elbow out all the other content.

That's probably a good idea.  I second this.

Is the criteria going to be just the fact that it has the "hot" tag in it or will it be stricly by amount of replies to the post in a defined period of time.

Because there's plenty of posts that can easily get the hot tag so the hottest topics would keep changing all the time if it was just by the hot tag

Maybe taking the number of followers of a thread into account can make the hottest topic working even better.

number of views * followers * posts / time elapsed since last message

Or something more advanced/simple

I don't know about that. Some people *cough* nosebleed *cough* have auto-follow to every thread they see, and following in general has a reasonably big chance to be too big of a variable- since one person following or not following a topic could have a huge impact (after all, even in the hottest topics, we tend to have 4~6 followers). I'd prefer to stick with either views or posts.

I didn't know about auto-folowing, so I guess that doesn't work out. But some thing that relates to the time since last post or posts in last days should be considered I think. In order to not get stone-dead topics as "hot".

That would already happen- it would only count the views/posts that happened on the topic that day ignoring previous ones, as I said before.