Favorite Mangaka/Illustrators

So I don't know for you guys, but I'm very picky about the way anime/manga/VN are drawn.

Drawing is the n°1 factor that will determine whether I'll keep reading a manga. (That's why I can't read Hunter x Hunter)

I'm going to talk about my favorite mangaka or illustrators (only the ones drawing manga), and would love new suggestions.

Mizuki Kawashita

Even though her stories aren't extraordinary, her style fits so well the school life, romance, well ... Everyday life and everyday worries.

Well you could also say she knows how to draw really pretty young women, but it's different somehow.

anedoki.jpg

Y

Illustrator for the manga version of the Wolf Children : Ame and Yuki.

Light, and thin lines.

Very refreshing and enjoyable to read, and fits the movies atmosphere, unfortunately I can't find any of this illustrator's work.

Enfants-Loups-manga.jpg

Itachi

Illustrator for the manga adaptation of Haganai.

Well I can't really explain why I love his style. Sometimes his work seems rushed and can get a little messy but when it's not, i'm just loving it.

haganai_158.jpg

Sou Hamayumiba

?

Okay so I only know Hamayamata, but I fell in love with the drawings !

Oh my god ! It's so good that I almost didn't care about the story (which isn't bad either in my opinion).

Lines everywhere, I love it, it makes the characters so much cuter and it's so unique.

I hope he keeps this style as long as he can, and i'll buy every single manga he'll release if he does *_*

8.jpg

Kantoku

Yeah it's a classic I know but I still like the way he draws.

I don't know much about everything he did but the few illustrations I saw were quite captivating.

kurumi__kantoku___arch_linux_by_dannie92

Next is an Hentai mangaka I wished would draw something else than hentai named?

Homunculus

*I don't want to risk naming anything regarding hentai without some kind of spoiler thing hiding it, or maybe i'm super paranoid*

I do watch hentai sometimes but it's the only hentai mangaka I only read for the drawings (And it's not even a joke).

I just wished he'd draw something else than H.

Last one is a big deception of mine.

Takeshi Obata

Loved Hikaru no Go. We can see the difference and the improvements he made by comparing tome 1 to tome 20ish were it was just beautiful.

Death note was really really well drawn too.

Then came Bakuman :

Tome 1 okay,

tome 2 okay,

tome 3 and so .... what the heck, did he hire new assistants ? It's so ugly now ! It's rushed !

It's very similar to his old way of drawing yet so far. But it disappointed me so much.

He used to be one of my favorites.

hikaru-no-go-1896955.jpg

So here it is. I'd love suggestions if possible. Maybe this will give you a hint about my tastes.

Still I feel really frustrated about loving these drawing so much but not being able to tell why. I'm really bad with words. But every single one of these artists managed to make their drawings more that just the image of the action.

Feel free to post about your own favorite illustrators

Edit : Added random images to illustrate, fixed a few gramma mistakes.

Now for a Light novel illustrator : Aka Ringo

He currently illustrates Ry?gaj? Nanana no Maizkin

You can check him out on?Zerochan

yjhTtYb.jpg

I don't know, I totally fell for his art.

These eyes ...

Edited by Guest

I've never given much thought to this, as I don't really look up authors and stuff like that xD but I like The breaker's style

the-breaker-new-waves-2975569.jpg
the-breaker-new-waves-3031327.jpg

It's a manwha though, but I don't think that's a problem. I can't think of any others at the moment, as I didn't really think about that a lot, but I'll be sure to post them when I realize/remember it later xD

There are some really good mangakas here. Now I want to find out more about Yu...

Well, here are some mangaka/illustrators I like:

Naoki Urasawa

Possibly my #1 favorite mangaka. Not only I really like his illustrations, Monster and 20th Boys are among the most interesting stories I red...

monster1.jpg

BorrachaBin%25C3%25A1ria80.jpg

20th Century Boys

Naoki%2BUrasawa%2B-%2BPluto%252C%2Bcapas

pluto-comparaison.jpg

Takehiko Inoue

Author of Slam Dunk and Vagabond. REALLY good drawings.

Ps: By the way, if you are interested in learning more about the legend of Miyamoto Musashi, i highly recommend Eiji Yoshikawa's novel. (Also called Musashi) I just started reading it the other day, so it's going to take a while for me to finish it, but so far i'm really liking it.

Takehiko%2Binoue%2B-%2Bsumi%2B%2525289%2

Takehiko+inoue+-+sumi+%252821%2529.jpgTakehiko+inoue+-+sumi+%252834%2529.jpg

D1400x598.jpg

real-inoue.jpg

One of my favorites is Yuna Kagesaki, who drew the Karin manga (along with other stuff that I really enjoyed, like Sakura no Ichiban). I think she also did some VN art at some point, but Karin was one of the first manga I ever read, so it holds a special place in my heart:

dyn008_original_850_608_pjpeg__b6172c8e2

Oh, and Noizi Ito is another favorite of mine: 

haruhi-shugi-04.jpg

For mangakas : (I need to catch up on most of these guy's recent work though.)

Definitely Naoki Urasawa, I've considered him my favorite manga artist for over a decade now.

century3.jpg

Azuma Kiyohiko.  I really enjoyed the Azumanga Daioh manga, and Yotsubato! is one of my favorites.  Azumanga Recycle was pretty hilarious as well.

mediumanimepaperscans_yotsubato_mac.jpg

Tsutomu Takahashi.  Dark and mature mangas, I especialy enjoyed Skyhigh and Blue Heaven.

9675f0018d103531e073a3da2945df41.jpg

Tsutomu Nihei.  It mostly about the backgrounds.  Amazing gorgeous yet bleak futuristic megastructures.

tumblr_m5r4k9QTOS1rytjzto2_1280.jpg

Masakazu Katsura.  I've loved his work since I was in high school.  Especialy I''s, it was one of the first manga series I read in its entirety and it was amazing.  His bishoujos are the best.

iori-yoshizuki-art-book.jpg

Kentaro Miura.  What can I say?  I love berserk, I own most of what is currently published in french.

berserk%2Bspread%2B1.jpg

Honorable mention to Eiji Nonaka for his comedy genius with Cromartie High School.

As for illustrators, I guess I'll make another post later.

Yeah I forgot about Naoki urasawa, shame on me.

I liked Yostuba a lot to, but I didn't put it here because i don't think the drawings would be good if it weren't for that particular series.

I'll give a shot to all these.

Unfortunately i'm not fond of Bersercks graphics, too much details in some scenes sometimes is a mess (it doesn't happen often), but sometimes it's a bit too much. The way he draws humans feels a bit off.

I read it for the scenario which was really good.

Noizi Ito's style seems nice too but  I'll have to look for her works because for now it looks like well drawn classic manga stuff.

Perhaps she has works in which it's more appealing. (Still is, but just a little bit to normal). 

Actually, many seinen mangaka could be quoted here, since seinen allows many styles since it's aimed at more mature and open-minded (perhaps ?) people.

A decent chunk of my favorites have been mentioned (Miura, Urasawa, Nihei) but a few others I enjoy are definitely Inio Asano, Hirohiko Araki, Q Hayashida and Hiroaka Samura

Hiroaka Samura ... oh dear, that's quite hardcore, but it's nice, I'll check it out, maybe ... ^^

hmmm..

Itachi 

as posted above

Sou Hamayumiba. also posted above but anyway

hana001.jpg

mostly for Hanayamata, love the style .(translation might continue sometime soon)

Sadly most of his other work isnt translated

That one looks really cool o:! If they continue translating it, I'll surely read it~!

Definitely Naoki Urasawa, I've considered him my favorite manga artist for over a decade now.

This. There used to be an English subbed documentary about him, however now all I kind find are the raw Japanese uploads. Which is a shame because it was really interesting to see how he works and thinks as an artist. 

I also find Nobuyuki Fukumoto's art style to be quite interesting. He is the creator of Kaiji. His art style is intentionally not pretty due to his darker settings and themes. His style of art works great with his stories as he exaggerates expressions through caricatures in a very fitting way.

And of course Kentaro Miura (the creator of Berserk) has a very detailed and beautiful art style. He pays lots of attention to details and it is a marvel to look at. 

Haha, we got 3 tomes already in France.

I'm really fortunate this time.

It's one of the manga i just found by mere luck just fooling around in a library ... was not disappointed at all :)

I have lots of fave mangaka/artist/illustrator. But my most favorite is definitely

Takarai Rihito

tumblr_inline_mznkkeDo7Q1rqqngz.jpg

Her art is really so lovely. I fell in love with it at first sight when I read Seven Days. It was so beautiful and I love how I can recognize her art style so easily. And it turns out not only her art is amazing but also her stories! Her first manga, Hana no Mizo Shiru, was truly beautiful also! My other favorites are:

Hagiwara Daisuke

tumblr_inline_mznkl8UAO21rqqngz.jpg

His art is gorgeous. What made Horimiya much better is because of his lovely art!

Takashina Yuu

tumblr_inline_mznlxvumki1rqqngz.jpg

Another amazing artist! I fell in love with it too at first sight in Deadlock.

Mikanagi Touya

tumblr_inline_mznkljxb9J1rqqngz.jpg

I admit the reason I read Karneval was because of the fascinating art. But art aside, woah! The story is also awesome! I came to love the story and characters as well!

Tateishi Ryo

tumblr_inline_mznkizPnn61rqqngz.png

I came to love her art because it reminds me alot of Takashina Yuu-sensei's art style.

Yuzuya Haruhi

tumblr_inline_mznkm5CMaS1rqqngz.jpg

It's so cute! I really love her art! It's such a shame cause she only has really few works like Boku no Ano Ko, and this oneshot, Unexpected Love. I would love to see more of her works someday.

Tagura Tohru

tumblr_inline_mznkhzTQci1rqqngz.png

I just really like the simpleness touch of her art. It has such a very sweet feeling that will make you smile when you see it. Especially in Haikei, Niisan-sama.

Abe Miyuki

tumblr_inline_mznl44Iieu1rqqngz.jpg

From Komatta Toki ni wa Hoshi ni Kike! to Hakkenden and Super Lovers.. Abe Miyuki-sensei is definitely one of my most fave BL/Yaoi mangaka! Yeah at first her art in Komatta is kinda off compared to Super Lovers but come on! That was published around 90's! And It did improve alot in later chapters.

Art aside.. I also love her stories!

Sugiura Shiho

tumblr_inline_mznlg2UL7w1rqqngz.jpg

Just like Abe Miyuki-sensei.. her art at first wasn't that appealing like in Koori no Mamono no Monogatari but in later volumes... woah! It improved so much like wtf. And now in Silver Diamond.. it's really beautiful! Both in art and story!

Odagiri Hotaru

tumblr_inline_mznlbmTmjA1rqqngz.jpg

Another one of my super fave artists! I fell in love with it (again) in Only The Ring Finger Knows. But I'm happy that she made her own manga, which is Uraboku and the story is amazing too!

Yura

tumblr_inline_mznkwobJNs1rqqngz.jpg

Her art in Lucky Dog 1 was really cute and nice but since LD1 was released around 2009, I think her art now has improved a lot more.

Ahh I really want to put more but it will never end! Some of my faves are (especially stories and mostly BL/Yaoi) are Konohara Narise, Junko, Natsume Isaku, Yamamoto Kotetsuko, Yoneda Kou, Nekota Yonezou, Ike Reibun, Hayakawa Nojiko, and many more omg

• 3 weeks later...

These artists' illustrations did look really good.

But I don't really read BL.

I found a manga named Yumeki Meri Yesterday and even though it's very shonen like and the plot is a little messy, the art style is really unique.

yumekui-merry-1919761.jpg

The way Ushiki Toshitaka draws the eyes is really, really strange, but really attractive for some reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it right after it was released but I think 

Naoshi Komi

deserves some attention thanks to his work on Nisekoi :

pcCmmY0.jpg

The style is pretty unique and incredibly pleasant to read.

It's light, it's fresh, it's good.

Not much to say except, give Nisekoi a try.

On my side, i'll jump into his previous works and give feedback later, but I think he deserves his name here for his recent one.

• 3 months later...

Now for a Light novel illustrator : Aka Ringo
He currently illustrates Ryūgajō Nanana no Maizōkin

You can check him out on Zerochan

yjhTtYb.jpg

I don't know, I totally fell for his art.

These eyes ...

One that I can't believe I never mentioned in my last post is Mohiro Kitoh.

2012-04-13_1406-740x323.png

His art has sort of a sketchy feel to it, and it feels a bit minimalist at times, but the stories in his works are always top notch, and there's a quality to it that I've never found in another manga artist. His manga Bokurano (and what I've read of narutaru) is easily in my top five manga of all time. 

What the hell why is the name Aoki Ume not even mentioned in this thread.

Her character design is something I never forget. When I look at a character of hers I instantly know who it was drawn by. It's such a unique and distinct art style and gave life to some great characters I always remember.

Particularly her eye design is one of my favorites of all time. A lot of artists tend to make the eyes really pop out yet Aoki Ume's characters' eyes usually just blend in with the face and don't have extremly vibrant colors, they just have a charm to them i can't get tired of.

LAmsqYv.jpg

At least know her for her character design in Madoka Magica. That's the bare minimum.

Though my favorite example of her is Hidamari Sketch <3

Also Naoshi Komi for his work in Nisekoi which I really enjoy seeing.

• 1 month later...

Latest discovery Redjuice, How can you not fall for it :

ulydjcy.jpg

This guy knows what he's doing, I bought one of his artbooks : "Beatless" for 23 Euros, and I have no regrets.

Each one of his characters are distinctive and appealing. You can fairly easily recognize his art style and the characteristic design he uses, especially for the clothing.

Lots of details, but still, everything blends perfectly.

• 5 months later...