ShiniKiss Ending Question

JesterLegacy

So, I recently finished ShiniKiss, and I am a bit confused regarding Kohaku Route's ending. The questions are :

So...did Izayoi turn back time or something? Or all those things were just a dream?

What does the kiss from Hiyori mean? Did she transfer her powers to Makoto? Though, I thought she reverted back to human because of Izayoi....

I Like The Sister Ending Though xD

Well that explains everything, I guess we can close the thread now.

So, I recently finished ShiniKiss, and I am a bit confused regarding Kohaku Route's ending. The questions are :

So...did Izayoi turn back time or something? Or all those things were just a dream?

What does the kiss from Hiyori mean? Did she transfer her powers to Makoto? Though, I thought she reverted back to human because of Izayoi....

I don't think you need to use spoiler tags in a thread that's very clearly a spoiler thread. ;)

As for your questions, to my knowledge it's not made clear whether it was just a dream or time turning back, but either way he has some recollection of what happened and won't lose the will to live again (not that he would since, you know, Hiyori doesn't die).

And iirc she said that a shinigami's kiss transfers the shinigami's power to the other person, which is why she turned human.

I'm with DarkDarkDark, Imoutos are the best. But that's completely unrelated to this thread.

Regarding the questions.

I don't think they explained clearly wether it was just a dream or not but I do feel like it was. Turning back time doesn't make sense because Izayoi mentions it's time for her soul to return where it belongs. That doesn't really imply turning back in time unless all our soulds belong in the past.

But MAYBE it's not all a dream. Maybe it was sort of an alternative universe/dimension/realm/whatever/bacon. But it makes more sense to be a dream because when "time turns back" he recalls some events that happened in the "other world" and tells Hiyori his feelings at the end to avoid that. So the dream theory is what makes the most sense.

As for what a kiss does. Like it was said before it transfers the shinigami's powers to another being.

I just finished it, and here is what I got out of that particular ending:

"Guide souls to where they belong"... Well, Makoto was living in the past, and Hiyori lost her soul in the past, so I believe that the place that their souls belonged was clearly the past.

So I believe that Izayoi did not "turn back time" but rather, just sent their souls back where they belonged, causing whatever happened in "the present" to simply not happen. 

Or something. It's 1.45 AM over here, so my tired brain might've missed something.

Shinikiss is described to have an open ending as far as i know so u can prolly interpret it however u want,whether u think they turned back time to the point of Amamiya's death or that they both are now peacefully in the afterlife or any other interpretions xD

but i'd like to think they went back to the time 10 years ago :P

Just a followup question. If they did go back in time, does that mean all the experiences with the other people gone? (like his friendships that he somehow managed to develop with his state of depression)

If so, that is a bit of a sad ending because it is not certain they would have all been friends if Hiyori didn't die. :(

Just a followup question. If they did go back in time, does that mean all the experiences with the other people gone? (like his friendships that he somehow managed to develop with his state of depression)

If so, that is a bit of a sad ending because it is not certain they would have all been friends if Hiyori didn't die. :(

I don't think that's true. He tells her he loves her when he "goes back in time" because he recalls that terrifying alternative setting where she died when he was unable to express his feelings. That's why i think he recalls at least those emotions that he developed during the other timeline/world.

A post from VNDB's Shinkiss discussion page:

As one of the translators for the patch I can actually give a definitive answer to this, because the final chapter script had some instructional descriptions of what is happening, probably meant for other members of the development team.

After Izayoi says "Go. Return to the place where souls belong--", the comments state the following:

- Play the staff credits

- If possible, have two souls (small orbs of light) that look like they are travelling back in time

- At the end, they will return to a beach scenery

And then the final scene plays out with Hiyori and Makoto. Upon returning to the main title screen, the background is changed to the two of them walking along the beach - as children. Since the comments blatantly said to make it look like they were travelling back in time, I think it is safe to say that that is the "intended" interpretation of the ending.

However since it's not obvious from a reader's point of view, most likely they did want to go for the "open ending" with the possibilities that you mentioned.

Well that at least clears what the intentions of the creators was but at the same time that's their view. They still tried to give us an open ending despite those notes therefore i think we can all agree it'll always be up for discussion.

My only problem with time traveling is how  do souls time travel and keep their feelings/memories. That's why the dream theory made more sense in my head. But that's just me.

• 5 months later...

My two interpretations where ether time travel (The flying "Orbs" also kinda remind me of the time travel sequence in "Tales of Phantasia")

and second that the ten years where just an illusion to see if Hiyori´s soul would remain pure (though that is pretty much impossible seen from the evidence)

Read Shinikiss and the only route I found enjoyment in was Kohaku's cause it really brought all the pieces of the story together and concluded it on a nice(also confusing) note.

The ending is left for us to wonder about, but really in my opinion time travelling back to before you die is a bit far fetched to me. I'm glad there was a happy ending were the end up together and I expected that but I didn't think the story would use something weak like this to achieve their happy ending. It just left me with this question in the back of my head which bugged me if it was really time travel or not. I have a theory in my head although a sad one that they actually die in the end and their two souls are now in some eternal dream(like their own heaven) were the will always be together. That's just something that i'm thinking and it just makes sense to me. 

Shinkiss, i only clear one rute all of them.

Honoka Route

My thoughts about it :

She stabbed with a knife by Her Best friend.

Matoko make a plan,to give his life to Kohaku for to rescue the lives of his girlfriend.
but Kohaku doesn'tt reveal himself at the time.
and when Matoko feel despair because Honoka talk like that.
luckily her friend was aware of her actions and Honoka's life was saved
and they end up living happily with married

I think not too bad, but not good too.