Violet Hill (DEMO released)

Helvetica Standard

Not sure if this is a good idea or not but I think it would be really cool if you could make this support on mobile devices(android and ios)

Not sure if it would take a lot of extra work but I could see this being a compelling feature to some readers!

That's perfectly possible! the latest build of Ren'py supports distributions for Android and IOS. :3

We'll definitely release those versions once the VN is completed.

• 3 weeks later...

Update Time!

Hi fuwa. It's been a while since our last update, but we've been working!... well most people have. I've been doing a lot of uni work, but... oh well. Close enough. I'm proud to give you our February update <3. Most of this update is centred around art, so get ready (it's ironic the guy with no artistic or graphical talent is doing the update post, but just roll with it...)!

Staff update

The biggest staff update is that we have a new member on the team, Maoh, who is working as a chibi artist. Thanks a lot to him! He’s been working hard, and it’s really appreciated! That makes the current violet project team:

Head Honcho: Helvetica Standard

Editor-in-chief: Me, chocolatemilkgod

Chibi artist/Chibi CG artist: Maoh

QC: ????? (we're a little lacking in this department... help?)

Beta testing: Linkman19, Yachi and Kaguya

Lyrics for the yaoi joke end: OMA

People we haven't hear from in a while

Azada

Dubs

Hazel-bun

Kaskade

Now for the meat of the post!

Progress report

Again, welcome to Maoh. Here is some of his chibi artwork <3

9HFKlHN.png

Lovely, aren’t they? The aim is to eventually have several chibi CGs, too (à la Grisaia). I think that’ll add a lot to the overall feel to the game, so look forward to more <3.

Meanwhile, on the editing front...

kisa__headdesk_by_fawnadon-d3i19he.gif

Wellllllll... I’ve made some progress, so that’s good, right? Sort of?... Nah, jokes, I'm going literally insane :D

I’m working on a v3 of the chapter 1 scripts based on the feedback we received from v1 and v2 (thank you beta testers and Tay!). I’ve also had a skim over the chapter 2 scripts as well. We’re a long way off, but it’s slowly coming together... soon.

Speaking of beta testers...

viploader462794.jpg

They’re hard at ‘work’, nothing compared to the editing hell I’m in... *grumble grumble*. Seriously, though, thanks to the people we’ve received feedback from! If you want to be a regular beta tester and get to have a look at stuff earlier than other people, just drop me a line.

And now... a history of the sprites. It is a story full of despair, regret and, most prominently, lots and lots of redos. Here’s how it went.

Initially, we were planning to just use custom 3D girl sprites. Here’s an example:

jkIX0oQ.png

This was primarily done because we didn’t have the resources nor the time to have much more. Still, after much complaining (mainly from me :P), we decided it was best to try to find an artist. So, we looked! And looked... and looked... and looked some more... and a little more... etc etc repeat ad nauseam. So we gave up trying to look for an artist, and Helv started working on the sprites himself.

It started with Rin’s sketch...

74iyIKJ.png

And with a little bit more work...

5nYcihy.png

The end result was much better than any of us expected! Hooray!

vX6RA4G.png

Hahaha... then he had to do it again with ALL the heroines... RIP helv... but he persevered, and they started to come together.

Sketching:

BxDqHoy.png

Outlining:

eect1pR.png

Basic colour:

6s5oIok.png

Magical photoshop things I don’t understand:

kID1xwy.png

And voila! But something still needed work... the eyes. They were rather lacklustre and plain... so Helv played around with blending!

vDDtPpD.png

Uhhhhhhhhh... luckily this didn’t stick around for that long. But eye blending v2.0, drawing heavily from Mark Crilley’s tutorial on youtube, meant that beautiful eye blending was born, and I had won (I was the one who complained about the eyes too... heh). Here are a couple of final/nearly final versions.

WEiLURF.png

and

hJJSkSR.png

And here’s the final progression of akane's sprite:

4pZSX6W.png

Keep in mind the fact that they’re resized can sometimes mess up the some of the interplay of the colour.

So... that’s everything! I hope you enjoyed reading, and stay tuned for the next post that should be coming relatively soon!

I’ll leave you with Maoh’s chibis again:

9HFKlHN.png

Because why not?

Thanks a lot guys,

The Insane Biochemist

Everything is looking very nice so far :) I sent a message to  Helvetica Standard saying I'd be busy trying to catch up with school and the like, but I understand the need to move forward regardless. 

I think the art work is moving in a nice direction, especially as you had to move from 3D models to 2D work all by yourselves. I'd be happy to provide some tutorials and other resources to help push forward the quality of the art work. any time. The chibis are adorable by the way ^^ 

Just an FYI though, unless PyTom stated this somewhere else I don't know of, Ren'Py can currently only be ported to Android devices and not IOS. Just keep that in mind if you promise to get it on the apple store seeing as you'll have to build or and find another way to do so. Keep up the hard work!

the art is really starting to look good guys keep it up i love the character designs. i cant wait to play the final product.

whats qc checking entail?

Primarily, QC involves being.... well, sort of a secondary editor. So, after I've done my editing and impressions etc., I'll send it to Helv who will then send it to QC. Their job is to read through everything, weed out any parts that still are rough and to provide suggestions. Most of the work will have (hopefully) been done by me, but I may note down 'problem' areas that I may want a second opinion on, or that I had trouble changing on my own. No past experience or anything is required, just that you have a good grasp of English (preferably a native speaker, but not necessarily required). If you're interested, you can have a trial run! At the very worst, you'd just get to read a slightly newer version of the scripts ahead of everyone else, so you don't really have anything to lose. Plus, we'll send you (and anyone else who's interested) all of the <3s.

Primarily, QC involves being.... well, sort of a secondary editor. So, after I've done my editing and impressions etc., I'll send it to Helv who will then send it to QC. Their job is to read through everything, weed out any parts that still are rough and to provide suggestions. Most of the work will have (hopefully) been done by me, but I may note down 'problem' areas that I may want a second opinion on, or that I had trouble changing on my own. No past experience or anything is required, just that you have a good grasp of English (preferably a native speaker, but not necessarily required). If you're interested, you can have a trial run! At the very worst, you'd just get to read a slightly newer version of the scripts ahead of everyone else, so you don't really have anything to lose. Plus, we'll send you (and anyone else who's interested) all of the <3s.

this isn't like spelling and grammar checking right because i'm not so good with proper grammar.  but i do have spelling and grammar checking software to help with my forum posts. i wouldn't mind giving it a try and i will have no bad feelings if i'm not suited to it and you tell me so, i would just like to help this project in someway it seems really good. plus i think one way to get vns more popular in the west is to do oel vns that might help more people get into the medium like katawa shoujo did for me.

I'd be more than happy to contribute with music. :) Feel free to check out my SoundCloud - you can use anything that doesn't have either "remix" or "cover" in the title; I'm not exactly sure how copyright works when it comes to these, but just to be safe--

It's nothing special, but maybe you'll like something from the calmer tracks. Let me know if anything interests you~!

Looking forward to it guys. Been keeping an eye on the development to learn a thing or two (working on a project too). 

Thanks ^^. If you have any questions about how we're (attempting) to do things, don't hesitate to ask... although, to be brutally honest, we're sort of just making it up as we go along... but that's fine :). Best of luck on your project, too, looking forward to seeing what that develops into. If you ever want to discuss ideas or something as well, you can just message me here on fuwa (I don't know if that's in anyway helpful, but...)

I'd be more than happy to contribute with music.  :) Feel free to check out my SoundCloud - you can use anything that doesn't have either "remix" or "cover" in the title; I'm not exactly sure how copyright works when it comes to these, but just to be safe--

It's nothing special, but maybe you'll like something from the calmer tracks. Let me know if anything interests you~!

Wow! Thanks a lot! I'll send you a message shortly about the specifics, but your work is really awesome <3. Obviously some of the electronica, although really well done, doesn't fit the theme of the VN, but others like 'The Golden Eagle' and 'The Aftermath' are really good matches. Seriously, this really helps a lot!

Looks great guys. The only thing I ponder about lending help to projects like this is I wonder how much of it would be suitable for a resume.

Honestly, applicability for real-life resumes is nothing tangible. That said, it would gain you a lot of respect in the VN community and (more importantly) it would help you develop your skills in certain areas that almost certainly would help you in real life. I've certainly gotten a lot better at editing and writing informally since I started... mind you I'm in no way good at it still, but I've improved and had a lot of fun along the way <3.

Looking forward to it guys. Been keeping an eye on the development to learn a thing or two (working on a project too). 

There's a bunch more that happens behind the scenes than just our regular updates, though XD

I can give you some info/tips/advice/details so you can use them as base/guide to your project. :3

I'd be glad to help too, if you need anything else.

Good luck with the project <3

FUWA!

On behalf of the Project Violet Team we'd like to thank you for your support and your feedback on our project.

Many, many thanks! It really means a lot to us!

And now. Me, project leader, yours truly, Helvetica Standard present you with a surprise post! <3

Character bios! enjoy and again, THANKS! *bows*

Ui9gUJQ.png

b39CR5r.png

ZiRwF2T.png

Vb2kzpk.png

HHjvIkf.png

EWHNeWI.png

Looks promising so far, I'm not a professional at doing critics about things, and even if I was... I wouldn't criticize it because I still haven't tried it (planning on downloading it now).

Btw, if you don't like Purple Prose... just name it VIOLET PROSE! (stupid me)

Looks promising so far, I'm not a professional at doing critics about things, and even if I was... I wouldn't criticize it because I still haven't tried it (planning on downloading it now).

Btw, if you don't like Purple Prose... just name it VIOLET PROSE! (stupid me)

Thanks for any feedback you can give. v2 still has some issues (the prologue was a little rough, some parts needed a little more detail, some needed to be cut down a little etc.) BUT you can definitely see where we're going, at least. v3 will have hopefully have fixed most of the writing issues (when I have the time to do it...), and may start to have some of the new sprites, too (currently v2 still uses the god-awful 3DCG sprites, but it'll be a while until the new sprites have all the expressions, clothing etc done). Still, it still was a lot of work, so I hope you enjoy v2 <3.

• 3 weeks later...