Violet Hill (DEMO released)

Helvetica Standard

Hi guys!

I haven't really introduced myself here properly yet, so here goes. I guess I couldn't hide forever. D:

I'm Vokoca, and I've joined the project back in February. I do a little bit of composing as a hobby, so when I saw that a project as interesting as this still had this position open, I thought it'd be interesting to try making some rubbish music for a visual novel. Helv for some reason really liked it, so here I am now. :D Luckily we also got the awesome Palas on our team, so the OST should have some nice variety.

But enough rambling about myself, lets get to something that actually matters. What can you expect from Violet Hill's music? Rather than trying to clumsily describe it with words, here, have a listen for yourself - the new main menu theme included in the demo 3.0. :)

On the topic of the demo, I have some more updates. We're aiming to release the demo this October, but because of some timing issues, we will have to leave some stuff out for now. It's nothing major, but from the music side, some of the place-holder tracks are still present - though you will be able to enjoy most of the new OST already. Of course, all of the public domain tracks will be completely gone by the time of the full release.

Anyway, that's all from me for now, look forward to the demo coming later this month~!

• 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION FUWANOVEL MEMBERS!

The demo is complete! You can expect it to be posted very soon. A link to our VH forum will be provided as well. Our team has worked very hard over the past some months to bring about this release. This is a huge overhaul from the v2 demo, the project has taken on an entirely new direction. Due to time restraints a few assets will not make their way into the demo at this point. It shouldn't affect your experience that much, though. Some tracks will be repalced with originals, the OP video will make it's way in, and a CG or 2 will be added etc.

We are very excited about the v3 demo, we hope you are too! :) Our team is satisfied with the way everything looks (after extensive beta-testing and quality/style-checking), and we would love to have some feedback from you! After playing, make sure to let us know your thoughts. That's all from me at this point ;)

Can Ren'Py games be compiled to run on other operating systems? Running on Python means it should technically be possible, but you never know, especially in regards to system call, graphics card API instructions and the like.

I'm still stuck with the work laptop for at least another 2-3 weeks and really itching to give this a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally have the time to post something on your thread about your demo! (I was really busy the past few weeks^^)

Here are my thoughts and opinions!

On the + side :

- The GUI is really pretty, and very nicely done! It is a pleasure for the eyes, great job!

- The 3D animations are a nice addition (even though the phone animation was lagging for some reason on my laptop, not sure if it comes from me or the demo itself)

- The filtered backgrounds were okay, but they are a good fit with the art and the character's sprites!

- The design of the heroines and their sprites are really nice! Definitely one level ahead of most amateur Visual Novels!

- Concerning the writing in general, I really liked the idea of "Mindstorm", it's a very interesting concept, and I can't help but wonder what influence it will have on the next chapters! I also appreciated the fact that you linked it with psychology and dreams, and that you seem to know about what you're talking about!

- The music creates a very nice ambiance to the game, good job!

- The heroine I like the most so far is the childhood friend^^

- I really appreciated the mini map where we could select the place where we were going.

On the - side :

- I'm not very fond of the MC, but I guess that's just a matter of taste^^ He seems a bit too arrogant. Well, I'm sure he is flawed in this way so that it can actually change with character development^^

- The relationship between the main heroine and the MC seems to be inconsistent, especially with the phone call, and when she pays a visit to the MC at the very end. At first, she hates him, and I know that their relationship is not supposed to stay that way all along and that it's meant to evolve, especially since she seems to be an important heroine, but they seem to get friendly (or at least she) way too fast, it's a bit disturbing. It's as if she became a different character completely. Maybe there are plot elements that explain this sudden change that we are not aware of yet though^^

- The demo ended in the middle of a scene, or at least that's the feeling it gave me, it felt weird. Not the best cliffhanger either I have to admit.

Overall, the demo really reminded me of Symphonic Rain (the type of music, the rain, the map segments, even the setting in a way), and I really appreciated it!

Keep up the good work, I'll look forward for the next demo! :)

The phone animation lagged for me too. But we can go ahead and say it's because Android is laggy 

*Whistles* 

I don't know what you're talking about.  :rolleyes:

I definitely don't know anything about the VN being punishing on low end pc's. Yup, no idea at all. :)

Lol, ok seriously now. 

For those experiencing lag during the mobile animation, you can try turning off the effects from the preferences menu. This will disable transitions and fancy effects but will make the VN run better on modest hardware. As for why the animation is laggy well, it's thirty 3D key frames rendered at 60fps...  :P  Mid range to high end PC's will have no trouble and animations will be smooth but low end PC's will experience some lag during this scene.

• 1 month later...

I'm...going to be frank, I actually liked the old project name better.  Feels like an extra syllable for not a good enough reason, and it's slightly more difficult to pronounce.  At least change the second word to something latin-ish as well for consistencies sake.

That said, I still wish you guys luck on the project.  I'll be looking forward to how it turns out.

Last but not least, the project's name is now Violeta Hill, as you may have noticed from the topic title, the new banner and whatnot. Why did we change it? It was such a shame for us to part with the old name. But don't worry if you don't understand - lights will guide you home and ignite your bones. We wanted to avoid confusion, that's all. And Latin languages are so much more charming, don't you think? That added makes it sound a lot better, isn't it?

B...but i like Coldplay. not reallly

Have you thought about changing the entire name into a latin language? It would fit better imo. If not, then i would recommend to keep it as Violet Hill. I think its a good name. Really glad to see you guys being active and can't wait to see more from you guys. I'm currently writing something so when I finish I'll send it over to you guys. It'll give me a gist on how well my writing has improved. Keep up the good work.