[SPOILERS] So I just finished Muv Luv Alternative...

Guimu

Well, yesterday night I finished what is supposed to be MuvLuv Alternative. Someone told me about a "point of no return" but I don't know if I got that. The point is, that, after all, I was expecting an OMFGGGGSOEEEEPIIIIIICEVERYBODYDIESWHYAGEWHY but it turned out that Takeru ends in another world where everybody (yes, everybody, Yuuhi and Kasumi too) live and enjoy a funny, peaceful school life.

Now, what is bugging me: There is no EXTRAS menu. So it means I still have to do something. I thought the choices you get didn't matter as long as you get to destroy de main hive. And, well, I'm not satisfied with that end.

Tell me guys I did wrong choices and that I have to play again in order to have the most epic ending that makes this VN so great.

Take in mind what ending I got and don't spoil me about other things a lot please xD

There is just one ending to Muv luv alt.

Takeru can't go back in time anymore because Sumika died in the alternative world. She was the reason he was being pulled into the alt world in the first place.

No idea why the extra menu is not there. tho :P

I think you always have to shoot Meiya. What your choices change is whether she confesses or not, if she doesn't, then Takeru reads a letter from one of the other girls. The stuff with Sumika is explained by Kasumi just before Final Extra.

Also, about the ending,

It can be more ambiguous than that. I mean, everyone in the Alternative universe who died stays dead, the BETA now know tactics, Yuuko says that Takeru only bought them 30 years and to top it all, Alternative Takeru may or may have not disappeared, depending on your interpretation.

As said before there is only one ending to Muv-Luv Alternative. Your choices change minor details near the end of the story. If you choose anyone but Meiya for the other choices you get a letter from them I think.

There is no extras menu. I have no idea why.

Keep in mind that two new Muv-Luv games have been announced and there are a number of untranslated fandisks. I don't know if they'll somehow continue the story or not but we can always hope!

As said before there is only one ending to Muv-Luv Alternative. Your choices change minor details near the end of the story. If you choose anyone but Meiya for the other choices you get a letter from them I think.

There is no extras menu. I have no idea why.

Keep in mind that two new Muv-Luv games have been announced and there are a number of untranslated fandisks. I don't know if they'll somehow continue the story or not but we can always hope!

The two new Muv Luv games that have been announced are for PS3 only. I don't know if they can be converted to PC, as I'm not overly savvy with computers XD

I hope in the future the fandisks get translations, Like you said, can only hope that they continue the story.

What Albedo said. It's anything but a "true" happy ending. It's bittersweet at best, all the friends you had in MLA are dead, and the Takeru at the end enjoying life in the altered Extra world is not exactly the same Takeru you followed through 3 games iirc. It's a pretty depressing ending to be quite honest, if you think about it a little bit.

@garejei I thought that as well. I normally don't get that invested into characters, but all the ML VN's have done that with me. And I've been a wreck ever since XD

I just finished MLA: TE, while no where near as good as the other ML VN's, it did leave me feeling hollow.

I'm just about to finish MLA: TE myself. I agree with your assessment of it. But man...the pilots are horrible compared to the ones followed in the visual novel. Though I do realize they're using older TSFs and operating systems.

• 3 weeks later...

I was personally quite disappointed with the ending. Or rather, with the climax, I should say - the VN seemed to build up so many things before the final missiong, yet it seemed like the writers suddenly realized they had no more time and took the easiest way out of the problems they presented. It felt incredibly rushed and painfully convenient... I don't know, maybe getting so hyped by the story was a good thing, but I feel like there was quite a lot of wasted potential in there.

I did like the final scene, though; it was a fitting conclusion. I might have to read Altered Fable someday.

• 7 years later...
On 12/30/2013 at 8:36 AM, garejei said:

What Albedo said. It's anything but a "true" happy ending. It's bittersweet at best, all the friends you had in MLA are dead, and the Takeru at the end enjoying life in the altered Extra world is not exactly the same Takeru you followed through 3 games iirc. It's a pretty depressing ending to be quite honest, if you think about it a little bit.

It is the same takerou. He's subconsciously remembering minor details and remember, he's not a conduit something anymore so he cant pull memories from other worlds, which means that it is his memories. Its a suspension of disbelief thing. You know its him, you know the girls are them, but it doesnt exactly follow the rules of the series. But would it really matter? None of the girls actually seemed to like Takerou much really, just some shoehorned in scenes where the focus was to show that they "love" him, but any day to day interractions etc shows otherwise. Unlimited was better in this way. I think alyernative gave to much growth to the girls, but let Takerout stagnate both professionally and as a person, which is likely a big reason.

Another question though: did i read it right? Only the takerou's who didnt choose sumika was pulled into this shit? Thinking sumika then is canon you can argue that unlimited and alyernative are just the longest bad ending in existence since the takerou in the original world who chose sumika was left alone.

Edited by Stormwolf

On 2/22/2021 at 4:34 PM, Stormwolf said:

It is the same takerou.

No it's not, it is the takeru from the "Final Extra" timeline with some very vague memories arrived from the other timelines. Alt takeru's body disintegrated after Sumika's death (and probably everyone forgot about him, but we don't have a confirmation for that, yet), he's fucking dead (and I hope he will stay as such in Integrate).

(BTW gloroius necro.. LOL)

Edited by WinterfuryZX

well, he shouldnt have any memories though since he's not a conduit anymore. That would mean all takerous have memories like that or there is one primary takerou and a plethora of secondary ones.

How do i know? Well, Kasumi. It would be weird if she could walze in with her memories in all the possible worlds. She followed Takerou

Edited by Stormwolf

2 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

well, he shouldnt have any memories though since he's not a conduit anymore. That would mean all takerous have memories like that or there is one primary takerou and a plethora of secondary ones.

How do i know? Well, Kasumi. It would be weird if she could walze in with her memories in all the possible worlds. She followed Takerou

I think ALT Sumika edited the final extra timeline before dying, everything is either a result or an aftereffect of that mess, including the presence of Yuuhi and Kasumi and the memory injection from other timelibes.

Anyway I decided to skip everything that happens in that timeline, it's only fanservice crap to please mindless otakus. For me it finishes with Takeru's body disintegration.

Edited by WinterfuryZX

I agree with you partly. It should have followed up with him walking towards sumika or something like that with tears of their reunions in an atmosphere that matches Alternative. Wouldnt break anything as he keeps getting flashes anyway, but it's laughed away. This back to harem "wahooo" stuff was totally uncalled for after alternative and it's heavy focus on his realizations of his feelings for her. 

Edited by Stormwolf