Introducing... FuwanViewer!

ilegend

Tried version 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 and got this error message:

"Could not find setting.txt"

Is this just me?

It would be great if the VNs can be launched from here, like after downloaded the options of "download torrent" become "Read VN" or something. Just some ideas.

Other than that I tried Version 1.0 and have no problem, great job.

I'm guessing like steve said, it's a permission problem, either manually create the folder in %appdata% or run FuwanViewer as admin.

The reason why Version 1.0 worked perfectly without any permission error is because it pulls all its VN details and images live from the main site at every click/request, without caching. I wouldn't want the server to slow to a crawl which was why I decided to cache the details retrieved inside the %appdata%/FuwanViewer as any updates usually happens weekly (when translation values and statuses gets updated).

@ilegend I think an Android App for fuwan would be cool. Want me to help make one?

Sure thing! I would love to help out in the programming or bug testing, however I don't currently own an Android phone :/

However, if it's about using fuwanovel API, I'll be happy to share with you (despite the fact that the current API is pretty limited in its functionality)

Yep happened to me as well, I just went to %appdata% and created folder "FuwanViewer" (without quotes).

Solved the issue. [oh also run it as admin so it can create the file itself]

I'll probably add in more options and new stuff in the next release, but I'm pretty occupied with schoolwork right now so it probably won't be anytime soon... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking if you can switch to a mode where it displays a collage of images from the site, that way, they can browse by image instead of by name.

Useful indeed.

2 little things I would love to see there:

-indicator of what has been released on fuwanovel and what is still upcoming in the main list, if you can get that information.

-download AND open torrent file option :)

nothing really necessary as you can get the info by few clicks, but it would make it more comfortable :P

Here's a sneak preview of what is coming up in the next version of FuwanViewer.. (These are not mock-ups but actual screenshots of the actual program!!!)

Aaeru's suggested feature a long time back: Browse by image

EArYD.png

Steve's requested feature: show by upcoming and full list:

TWIBv.png

The textboxes and buttons are rearranged; they are now located at the side..

The browse by image feature is still a little buggy.. So don't expect any updates on the new version soon..

On a side note, I've began a side project that aims to recreate FuwanViewer using the Win32 API, except I'm not really good at it and I'm stuck.. The reason for the side project is to allow users who uses Windows XP or users without .NET Framework 4.0 to be able to run the program..

Linux users might be able to run it using wine as well..

Well, will keep you guys updated on more news and as always, feel free to request a feature and I might consider it when I have time to spare :)

The textboxes and buttons are rearranged; they are now located at the side..

On a side note, I've began a side project that aims to recreate FuwanViewer using the Win32 API, except I'm not really good at it and I'm stuck.. The reason for the side project is to allow users who uses Windows XP or users without .NET Framework 4.0 to be able to run the program..

Linux users might be able to run it using wine as well..

Oh, that's it! just like i need. Hope you can find some way to finish your side project...

Go go ilegend!!!

ranking-XH.png

Fuwanviewer 1.2.3 does not look correct on Windows 7 the buttons overlap as well as the text is almost cut off on the right it's a bit narrow the window is.

overlapbuttons.jpg

Also the one image is not loading. A feature I would like to see is a column for EGS score and make the columns sortable.

1. EGS Score Column

2. Allow sorting by columns

3. Resizable window there is so much wasted real estate when the window could be taller when going through list of the different novels

Fuwanviewer 1.2.3 does not look correct on Windows 7 the buttons overlap as well as the text is almost cut off on the right it's a bit narrow the window is.

overlapbuttons.jpg

Also the one image is not loading. A feature I would like to see is a column for EGS score and make the columns sortable.

1. EGS Score Column

2. Allow sorting by columns

3. Resizable window there is so much wasted real estate when the window could be taller when going through list of the different novels

Hey thanks for the feedback! Will get to work on it soon..

That's strange, everybody else's FuwanViewers I see runs okay on their Win7 machines..

For the EGS Score Column issue, the VN list I retrieve from the API currently doesn't show their EGS scores. I would have to go through the VN details one by one to retrieve their EGS scores.. I guess you could give it some time, I'll get to it once it's there~

Sorting by columns is a good idea! I'll probably make that change as well as the resizable window afterwards..

Alright, new version of FuwanViewer is up! This version includes some of the previously requested features:

Browse by image (Aaeru)

Browse by upcoming (Steve)

Sizeable windows (molitar)

Also, I've made a page on fuwanovel so you can see the release notes all at one place (hope Aaeru and Vax wouldn't mind)

The link is here:

I've also made a little updater separate from fuwanviewer so updates can be automated. This is very much untested, so do not be alarmed if there are a couple of bugs or two.

On a further note, the browse by image mode has some known issues, so it might panic from time to time and stop working, but other times it's a beauty.. I will get into looking up the issues in a further release.

Cheers to browsing fuwanovel with ease!!

Hm, for some reason in the new version none of the hyperlinks work. I set it as admin and all. I click it and it doesn't open the browser window or download the torrent. Do I need to do something?

and for the changes:

I like the browse by image in the new version smile.gif

And the upcoming button is nice - and you know what would be cool in new version, changing it from 2 to 3 values - only upcoming, without upcoming and ignored smile.gif

Anyway thanks for great work smile.gif

Hm, for some reason in the new version none of the hyperlinks work. I set it as admin and all. I click it and it doesn't open the browser window or download the torrent. Do I need to do something?

and for the changes:

I like the browse by image in the new version smile.gif

And the upcoming button is nice - and you know what would be cool in new version, changing it from 2 to 3 values - only upcoming, without upcoming and ignored smile.gif

Anyway thanks for great work smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback! My guess is that I broke some of the hyperlinks in the new version when implementing some changes.. I'll fix it and upload an updated version onto the server..

This is also a perfect chance to test the FuwanUpdater's functionality.. Can't say I planned for this, but this is a nice coincidence..

When it's uploaded you'll be notified.. Just look out for it ^^

Nice great work. Download torrent is slightly cut off but just aesthetic detail I noticed. But I have to say the downloading of images and the novel data has really been sped up.. no more seeing the circle for a while for the image to load. Great work!

The only other thing would be nice if it remembered it's window size but now I can see more of the list at a time easily. Great work! I started playing Duel Savior after reading about that one with this app ;)

Alright version 1.3.1 is up~ If all goes well, there should be a notification on the window to inform you...

If the hyperlink for the update doesn't work, try running FuwanUpdater manually in the same folder as FuwanViewer~

Cheers~

Steve: Good to hear! ^^

molitar: Thanks! Will consider it in the next release ^^

Hmm.. only one box can be selected at a time for filter. I tried to select translated and game play but can only choose one or the other not both. The update noticed worked good but the hyperlink to launch it does nothing at this time.

yeah the hyperlink didn't work was because it was broken. I suggest to execute FuwanUpdater manually to update once more.. The latest version fixes these hyperlink bugs.. At this moment I haven't had the time to make the different filters work together, when it's done it'll work like a charm :D

Merry Christmas!! To celebrate, here's a Christmas release (v.1.3.2):

This is mainly a performance update, recently I had some free time and I finally decided to get around to tweaking and fixing some bugs.

The full release notes are as shown below:

. UI changes: Score EGS will now be shown in a percentage format (%).

. Memory Usage: Internal memory structure has been tweaked so that it now uses less memory.

. Image Mode: Fixed a bug where an error will occur occasionally during the loading of images.

. List Filters: Now you can filter the VN list more specifically by combining the search filters together! (E.g. Searching for Little Busters! in the All-Ages genre; Searching for Upcoming (non-translated) Adventure Visual Novels)

. Image Filtering: Now you can filter the VN list when in image mode.

. System Requirements: Lower system requirements; Now if you have at least Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Client Profile (previously requiring .NET 4 Client Profile) you should be able to run FuwanViewer.

. More minor optimizations and tweaks: filesize now reduced from ~90KB to 65KB

One thing to note is that the new version requires you to download the latest version of the DLL, which I haven't implement to auto download in FuwanUpdater yet.. So for now, you have to download and manually place it in the folder: https://fuwanovel.net/other/FuwanViewer/Newtonsoft.Json.dll

Cheers to browsing Fuwanovel with ease! :D

Great work on the new update. Only problem I see though is from the viewing novel page you click on more details than the viewing image window opens. You than click to close it you go back to the view visual novels page.. than close it and it always puts the parent window behind whatever window is running at the time.. I would than have to click on the fore window than click on the taskbar FuwanViewer to get it back to the foreground.

Also I really don't think you need to leave the Visual Novel Window open at all when clicking more details. I think it would be better to close the Viewing Visual Novel window at that point so when you close the Viewing image window (More Details) you will go directly back to the main browser window.

Keep up the great work!

I see, yeah I've noticed the main window always hiding behind my other windows... And here I thought it was just me :P

I think the problem is because I've used a different window border.. I'll change it back in the next update :)

And yeah also in the next update the VN window will automatically disappear after you click on 'More Details' ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just another update here~

Version 1.3.3 is out with much improvements over the previous version.

Includes certain features requested by:

• molitar: Hiding of VN window when clicking 'More Details', saving of window size and state

Full release notes here:

. UI Changes: Label to VN Details Page is removed. To browse the VN page, click on the main image at the top.

. UI Changes: Progress bar at the main window is removed. Fuwanovel logo is shifted to the side to allow more space for the VN list.

. UI Changes: Now when you click on 'More Details', the VN main window will be hidden.

. Image Mode: Improved loading of images in image mode.

. Cache Error: Fixed an bug where clearing the cache after entering image mode at least once causes an error.

. Settings: Now all your settings are saved to a settings.ini file. Window size and state will be saved.

. DLL dependency: Now FuwanViewer will use an in-built parser class. This removes the DLL dependency so you do not need to have the DLL file around anymore.

. Misc: More minor optimizations in speed and improved memory usage.

Some of the issues you guys might be facing are addressed. Some of you might notice that after you close a VN window, the main window seem to hide behind all your other windows.. Hopefully this version should fix that problem. Also, as you can see above, FuwanViewer now uses an internal parser to process the VN details so the DLL file is not needed anymore! Yay!

Also, this update will be sticking around for a long while as I plan to shelve it after this update. The decision is mainly due to schoolwork and me being too busy with real life stuff (real life sucks big time in this case).. However, you guys can still continue to give feedback and suggestions so that when I am able to spare some time on FuwanViewer, I'll have something to work on~

I'll probably be focusing every little time I have now instead to completing the FuwanViewer w/o .NET.. I still suck at Win32, so no guarantees though..

Cheers to browsing Fuwanovel with ease! :D