2013 Worst year for Anime line ups? Maybe? What do you think?

Meanpandabomba

Every single season and year, people say the same thing. No, it was no worse than last year. There are always going to be one or two really good shows, a couple decent shows, then crap show. 

I feel neutral about the whole thing really. There are some shows I watch and there are those I don't. I ask because I have seen a lot of people arguing back and forth about all the shows this year. Either treating them like crap or treating them as the best thing since tacos were conceived. 

This is just my impression... generally speaking, the anime quality wasn't any lower than it was last year.  However, in the particular... there was no stand-out anime this year, at least so far.  The Kingdom second season is about the only thing that comes to mind that is good enough to be obsession-worthy, and that is only because the previous season was so interesting.  Log Horizon also comes to mind, but the problem with that one is that it is part of the 'trapped in an mmo' fad that got restarted with SAO being such a hit...

This is just my impression... generally speaking, the anime quality wasn't any lower than it was last year.  However, in the particular... there was no stand-out anime this year, at least so far.  The Kingdom second season is about the only thing that comes to mind that is good enough to be obsession-worthy, and that is only because the previous season was so interesting.  Log Horizon also comes to mind, but the problem with that one is that it is part of the 'trapped in an mmo' fad that got restarted with SAO being such a hit...

*grumbles something about Monogatari and leaves*

2013 wasn't any worse than 2012. However, both lack a title or two that really stands out. Kill la Kill can still be that for 2013, but it's too early to say right now.

It's hard to compare with older years since I wasn't following attentively the seasons (or even watching anime) then, but there might have been a slight decrease in quality over the years. I would hardly call that a problem though, since good anime keeps airing.

I think that last 3-4 years have been very great for anime compared to older years, and if we are talking just about 2012 and 2013 2012 might had more anime that stand out but except that I don't think that 2013 was any weaker than 2012. Hoewer I do think that winter 2013-2014 look something disappointing compared to rest of the seasons but I might be wrong about that after all we are getting Pupa and Chuunibyou 2 for that season.

There was a lot of moe which is something i appreciated, Kiniro Mosaic and Non Non Biyori totally won me over.

However there was also plenty of crap but every year has crappy anime it's hard to say if this was the worst or not, i just focus on the ones i liked and drop the ones I didn't like.

Indeed 2012 had some memorable shows but 2013 also had some interesting stuff, the ratio is pretty balanced imo so i can't call this the worst anime year, i see it more like a regular anime year with some bad anime and some good anime.

There were plenty of enjoyable shows this year I think :)~ Really enjoyed Watamote, Love Lab (though it settled down toward the end), Kitakubu (hilarious though nobody seems to like it :(!) and more that I'm sure I've missed. Last season in particular was stellar, I felt. We can't have a Madoka every year I guess :)!

2013 wasn't any worse than 2012. However, both lack a title or two that really stands out. Kill la Kill can still be that for 2013, but it's too early to say right now.

It's hard to compare with older years since I wasn't following attentively the seasons (or even watching anime) then, but there might have been a slight decrease in quality over the years. I would hardly call that a problem though, since good anime keeps airing.

Overall I have to say I enjoyed the year quite a bit, myself. There were a lot of shows that I really enjoyed, and like Down says good stuff keeps airing. It's always my biggest concern going from season to season, but I always find a few shows that hook me like a fish and a few more that are pretty enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

fall had:

Galilei Donna, which was alright.

Valvrave s2, which I thought was pretty good.

Kill La Kill, absolutely ridiculous.

Outbreak Company, my favorite this season.

Magi S2 was watchable, IS2 was alright, Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai was meh, Log Horizon drags ass with all the narration but passes. I dropped everything else.

summer had:

The World God Only Knows s3, loved it. Made me want to read the manga, though I still have not.

Ro-kyu-bu SS!, the show that almost made Eldin a Lolicon. Almost.

Monogatari s2, which I haven't yet finished but planned to someday!

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!, which was hilarious in the most depressing way possible.

Love Lab, probably my favorite show this season.

Servent X Service, fantastic. would watch again.

Kiniro Mosaic, which I dropped no less than 2 times before finally finishing it.

spring had:

Data A Live, was pretty hilarious, pretty heartwarming, and pretty hilarious all at the same time.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru, which was fantastic.

Haiyore! Nyarko-San W, second season of a pretty silly harem anime.

Arata Kangatari, it was alright. I enjoyed it, but it's not one of my favorites this year.

Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat, go watch it. it's really funny.

Hataraku Maou-Sama, my favorite this year. this show is amaze-balls. totes mcgotes.

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun s2, continuation of one of my favorite series, and the first show this year that made me want to read a manga. which I did or did not. who knows.

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge, it was pretty interesting to say the least. waiting for a second season.

Attack on Titan, maybe the best looking anime this year, the fight scenes were pretty good. pretty gorey, but good.

Gargantia, probably the best mecha anime this year. the AI wins for best AI since Outlaw Star.

Valvrave S1, I liked it. I hated the first episode, but the show grew on me. Better than Evangelion.

Yondemasu-yo, Azazel-San Z, continuing the azazel-san tradition of what the fuck did I just watch.

I'm too lazy to look up the winter season. overall, the year was pretty fantastic.

um the fad of trapped in a mmo actually goes back to dot hack and possibly further but id have to check on that .

as for my thoughts every year is about the same quality wise i actually think that most years the bar raises by a bit the thing is most people compare it to either the giant hits that happened in the past like full metal alchemist bebop etc. or they look on the past nostalgically . but the problems with these two methods is that theres usually a hit only every couple of years and its been that way forever and the nostalgic view is skewed because if you go back and rewatch most of the stuff you remember fondly from the past you'll usually notice its not as fantastic as you remember it being.