Health: We want to enjoy our hobbies for the years to come

LuxÆterna

[uPDATE]

Thanks everybody for your responses, you made me aware my short-sighted vision in this post xD, and sure I got lost while writing it, my intended message was more along the lines of

"Beign healty is better than not, and if you like digital entertainment, you should try beign gentle with your eyes", 

you all made me aware of things that go beyond the writing here, so next time I will try a different aproach, thank you for your feed back.

[ORIGINAL]

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my point of view and experiences, and hear of yours as well regarding this topic, I'll try my best to not sound like I'm telling any of you what to do, because I'm not aiming at that, nor I will ever obligate you to, the best I can do is getting you to consider this and leave the desicions up to you.

First of all, a friendly piece of advice, given that if you are reading this either you have a tablet, smarthphone or a computer in front of you, whatever the size of this is (wall size,pocket size,all of them), please consider the following tips:

-It's non medical advice, just what have worked for me

a)Taking a break every now and then, it's not the best to focus for more than a couple of hours on the screen, even if it's just a few seconds stand up (if applies) stretch and blink conciously, if you are in the middle of a exciting non-pausable scene, take the next loading screen or scene change as an opportunity to take the minibreak.

b )If you are an avid reader and like to spend night time navigating or playing or whatever staring at the screen, consider lowering the bright of your device, go easy on your eyes, either changing that manually or trying software like FLUX (http://justgetflux.com/), our eyes play are the single most important part for this, the electronic entertainment.

The anecdotical part is that, Flux may or may not work but if it's not On I can immediately tell (and  sure it makes a difference when the computer is not mine, I can't look at those that easily), you get this orange-yellowish tint, but it's kind of a trade of for being able to read without getting eye-strained (at least like before). If you don't mind to give it a try, do it, if you do, then don't (redundant =P).

The reasoning behind all of this ? (Yes there is one)

People sometimes overlook their health, thinking it's pretty much a "given", but I'm of the opinion that IT'S not,

there's a whole world of things we can't control, but at least for the things we can, why not try, being healty is the most valuable thing I think we'll ever have, it took me my entire (short/not) retrospective life to realize it, and because I want to play tomorrow, and the day after, I'm going to sleep right now (but will be back, I reckon there are holes to fill).

But not before leaving the invitation for all of you to share your thoughts, after all my single point of view it's not absolute.

*Note:(I auto-perceived a lot of generic speech up there, but thats that, my communications skills are that level I suppose)

As for a) I do it but not because of health but because I have to get up every half hour - hour to make a cigarette. Because in my country it is very popular to bay a tobacco and empty cigarette filters and then with a machine for making cigarets you fill them up (well rather than more popular it is way cheaper, baying tobacco and empty filters is at lest 3-5 times cheaper than baying pack of finished cigarettes and you get a lot more quality tobacco this way).

As for b ) I guess I do that too but also not for health reasons just that I prefer lower bright on my screen and my house regardless of it being daytime or nighttime.

But I don't really think a lot about health or care for it much, I don't even care if I have a long life or not, I mean everybody has to die sooner or later, and I don't care enough for this world to give a damn about which of the two will it be for me. Don't get me wrong I don't have a death wish or anything I just have my beliefs and they say that every person will die when he needs to die,

something like a fate or every person having it's time but not totally the same.

yes your own healt is very important so using flux and an android similar (twilight) and also eating healty is also good.
and then do i recomend to go and pick up some crystals and keep them att your computer table or something you use a lot as they can affect you in good ways and will affect your chakras which are important for your healt just google this and they don't cost alot from 1-5 dollar so picking up a few don't hurt

and this seems like new age bull shit but it seems to work (maybe it's just dillusional though) in a worst case are the pretty

I don't buy into any of the new age stuff, being a scientist, but what I do believe in is moderation. Don't eat unhealthy all the time, do some exercise (walking is fine; running excessively can actually mess up your joints as you age if you're not careful) and eat lots of fruits and vegetables, since those have been associated with increased longevity far more than any 'miracle cure'. Moderation, for me, is the key to not only a relatively long, but also fulfilled life.

People sometimes overlook their health

There's no necessary connection between eye strain and eye health.

This topic needs more evidence-based discussion.

There's no evidence that computer vision syndrome causes any long-term damage to the eyes -- for example, cataracts. However, regular computer use can be the source of significant eyestrain and discomfort.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/computer-vision-syndrome

Eyestrain doesn't have serious or long-term consequences, but it can be disruptive and unpleasant.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eyestrain/DS01084/DSECTION=complications

Avoiding eye strain will not improve your eye health.  You'll simply avoid incurring a headache.

If you want to avoid eye health problems down the road, wear sunglasses while driving during the daytime.  Don't smoke or drink.  Avoid becoming overweight.  Eat a balanced diet.  However, genetics remains the most important factor for eye health.

http://www.cdc.gov/visionhealth/basic_information/eye_disorders.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cataracts/DS00050/DSECTION=prevention

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20121001-should-you-read-in-the-dark/all

... baying tobacco and empty filters is at lest 3-5 times cheaper than baying pack of finished cigarettes and you get a lot more quality tobacco this way).

... I just have my beliefs and they say that every person will die when he needs to die,

something like a fate or every person having it's time but not totally the same....

Interesing to hear, the only alternative aproach I knew to get into that was e-cigarretes (Illegal to sell, legal to use here, great isn't it?)

That sounds reasonable, but I like a saying about "Dying of good health is the lower price at wich we can leave this world"

I don't buy into any of the new age stuff, being a scientist, but what I do believe in is moderation. Don't eat unhealthy all the time, do some exercise (walking is fine; running excessively can actually mess up your joints as you age if you're not careful) and eat lots of fruits and vegetables, since those have been associated with increased longevity far more than any 'miracle cure'. Moderation, for me, is the key to not only a relatively long, but also fulfilled life.

Mmm the thing about new age (I suppouse you're refering to Flux and that paragraph)was unintended, I don't agree with the fundamentals of it, but I do like the program and it's brightness controls.

And yes, moderation is indeed a great tool, maybe not for a long life, but a more enjoyable one (I don't like having headaches, less to have them often), but then everyone can go overboard when they feel like it

Health is really important, I really look after my own health. I do everything you mentioned, and I don't spend too much nighttime on the computer. However, I do overkill myself sometimes trainning, not that I mind though.

Jeje the world is full guilty pleasures, but also if you don't mind, then it's all right.

I guess the kind of breaks I take is that I refill my glass of water every 30 minutes to 1 hour from the refrigerator to the computer. I have to say that I am in good health, but lack excerise.

I move back and forth between the toilet?

I walk downstairs and back every now and again to get another can of Coke, does that count?  :ph34r:

You're all on the right track, keep moving.

There's no necessary connection between eye strain and eye health.

This topic needs more evidence-based discussion.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/computer-vision-syndrome

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eyestrain/DS01084/DSECTION=complications

Avoiding eye strain will not improve your eye health.  You'll simply avoid incurring a headache.

If you want to avoid eye health problems down the road, wear sunglasses while driving during the daytime.  Don't smoke or drink.  Avoid becoming overweight.  Eat a balanced diet.  However, genetics remains the most important factor for eye health.

http://www.cdc.gov/visionhealth/basic_information/eye_disorders.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cataracts/DS00050/DSECTION=prevention

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20121001-should-you-read-in-the-dark/all

I sure can learn from you, thank you apporting what I now know was lacking in this thread

Interesing to hear, the only alternative aproach I knew to get into that was e-cigarretes (Illegal to sell, legal to use here, great isn't it?)

That sounds reasonable, but I like a saying about "Dying of good health is the lower price at wich we can leave this world"

Electronic cigarettes aren't really that similar since you smoke oil and not tobacco and it isn't nowhere near the same like smoking real cigaret home-made one or fabric made one, true they are more healthy I guess but they could never replace real cigarets for me. True, I don't have a clue about why would they be illegal to sell here we have them in every store right next to real cigarets, tobacco and tobacco seeds (So if you have some gardening skills you can plant tobacco your self that is the cheapest way of smoking but I am not so good with plants and baying tobacco is already cheap enough).

I don't really get that saying since person can't really die of good health.

In response to sanahtlig, I'd tend to agree. There's a very nice review article from 2005 (a little old, but...) here, although most people won't have full access to it. I'll quote a small amount:

"In summary, changes in accommodative and vergence functions have been reported to occur after work periods at a VDT (visual display terminal), and these changes have been proposed as objective indicators of subjective visual fatigue. They are most likely transient, with workers returning to baseline values by the end of the workday or week. Substantial losses in these functions would otherwise be expected in long-term studies. Such studies have not found a difference at least in NPA (near-point accommodation) between VDT users and nonusers."

If anyone does have access to it, I'd suggest giving it a read. Very interesting. Only NPA was looked at much in the longer term studies as far as I can tell, but it's unlikely to cause any permanent damage. Just a headache, fatigue, neck pain etc. Not that I'd go recommending staring at a computer screen non-stop for twelve hours, but...

EDIT: Here's another one people can (probably) access. If nothing else, have a look at the 'proper eye care' section on page three. 

b )If you are an avid reader and like to spend night time navigating or playing or whatever staring at the screen, consider lowering the bright of your device, go easy on your eyes, either changing that manually or trying software like FLUX (http://justgetflux.com/), our eyes play are the single most important part for this, the electronic entertainment.

The manufacturers these days seem to be in a "brighter is better" race so you get devices with eye-burningingly-bright displays by default, but you can just lower the brightness and contrast settings. Have used monitors where when new, minimum brightness/contrast was just bearable, but after a few months tend to dim to more acceptable levels, and after that need the brightness bumped up a few steps (3-4/100) to compensate for aging.

I can't recommend F.lux enough if you're using PCs for more than a few hours per day - lower brightness settings (50 on my BenQ, 40 on my Dell) + F.lux at default settings have completely eliminated the headaches I was getting after a few hours of work. The colors feel off for the first two days and suddenly you don't even notice the change any more.

I can't attest whether "gaming" glasses have the same effect, but they're supposed to.