Learning Japanese - Useful resources

Down

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

This website doesn't help with the actual learning process, but I think it's an invaluable resource for learners and the more experienced alike! It's very convenient too, since many types of English <-> Japanese dictionaries are in one place. The kanji directory is particularly useful. I truly think it's one of the best Japanese <-> English dictionaries on the web.

Thanks for all the effort really xD...

I have been, tried and stalled my learning of Japanese..I want to continue again.

I know there are tools and things here but..

I know its best to learn Kanji first as that will help, or so i have seen...but for the others like

grammer, vocabulary and sentencing..Which order and how should i go about the other information apart from Kanji?

Also, from what i read from Tay's Post, is that you can read the kanji once your done, but what if someone tells you the kanji in japanese, as the book he mentions in his topic gives you the kanji and the english word for it..

Sorry for posting this here and Thank you for reading.

Thanks for all the effort really xD...

I have been, tried and stalled my learning of Japanese..I want to continue again.

I know there are tools and things here but..

I know its best to learn Kanji first as that will help, or so i have seen...but for the others like

grammer, vocabulary and sentencing..Which order and how should i go about the other information apart from Kanji?

Also, from what i read from Tay's Post, is that you can read the kanji once your done, but what if someone tells you the kanji in japanese, as the book he mentions in his topic gives you the kanji and the english word for it..

Sorry for posting this here and Thank you for reading.

I would suggest learning Kana and words first, then Kanji once you already have some decent knowledge of Japanese. At least that is the way that works best for me.

TBH I don't know if it's better to learn all the kanjis first, or to learn things in a specific order. I would do everything in parrallel with maybe a focus on one thing or another at times. Learn some grammar, learn the first kanjis, watch anime and see if you can hear the grammatical constructions you've learned... Try out various things and find what is the best suited for you, it's hard to recommend something specific really.

Same goes for the way to learn kanjis. Try flashcards, memo keys, doing it slowly or in blocks, see what works. It's a long process anyway.

Hmm when it comes to untranslated anime, i could actually watch an episode or two..although i might miss a few details..i can catch most sentences they saying and in turn i would understand what is going on...but when it comes to reading..i have no knowledge in that area..

So you think i should start of with some basic kanji, along side others... I will take a look, Thank you.

Hmm when it comes to untranslated anime, i could actually watch an episode or two..although i might miss a few details..i can catch most sentences they saying and in turn i would understand what is going on...but when it comes to reading..i have no knowledge in that area..

You don't have to watch it untranslated at first, just try to pick up bits of sentences that correspond to a grammar point you've read about whenever you hear it, then try to figure out how it's used with the subs.

Arturia there is a thread  that discussing what the best way to approach learning japanese to be able read vn's. You will likely find it interesting.

Now for the usual business, more links~~

Here is all of Clephas VN reccommendation list threads. The lists contains both translated titles and untranslated ones. Though it's centered around untranslated ones. Not suprising as there are more untranslated titles that translated ones.

For Love of VNs: For Beginners (For beginners reading in japanese)

For Love of VNs: A list (Multiple genre VN's)

For Love of a Genre: A list of great Chuuni games

For Love of a Genre: A list of great Fantasy VNs

For Love of a Genre: A list of great Sci-fi VNs

For love of VNs: Chicken Soup for the Soul

For love of VNs: Light and ecchi

Clephas' VN of the month

Edit: Added two more lists Clephas made. (Ecchi and soothing vn's lists)

Edited by Bolverk

I recently discovered apps for android/iOS that uses the camera for recognising kanji like an OCR-scanner on your mobile.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.ne.biglobe.inda3.kanjiyomi&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id670931120

Felt it should be here, because I kind of have used it now instead of trying to find kanjis in dictionaries that are big and cumbersome to bring along.

Ugh, when it comes to writing on the pc, its bad..but im sure im alright on paper and such..

I have already started Tae-Kims guide, and might follow that.. i feel that for myself, i would learn the Kanji a bit easier once i have all the basics i guess..got a bit..

aswell this will help my memory so that it improves when i carry on the kanji from where i left of...

This might be useful too, it is a topic on forum Anime-sharing meant for cheating on Japanese.

We could create a topic like that here on Fuwa too, but I don't think I am suitable to create it as my knowledge of Japanese isn't on that level yet.

There is one already, actually. See the Index thread in the Introduce Yourself forum

Alright um..i have already got the hang of writing and memorizing the Hiragana, but i notice from the writing exercises you could say and Tae kim did say that the written and computer Hiragana are sometimes written differently where like the Hiragana for Ki has that loop..

THe question i want to ask is that does it mean to have a loop...for examples like Ki, Sa and such..I dont want to practice a way that isnt right.

So a loop or not too loop?

Here's an authentic yahoo discussion on the さ writing.

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1211365682

Basically the answer given is "We learn to write it in three strokes, when it's connected it always looks weird, it looks like Chinese running script."

By the way why are all Japanese language questions answered or discussed on yahoo?

This looks like a nice guide to getting started. I've been interested in learning the language for years but 1. I'm lazy as fuck, 2. I live in Kosovo which means there's no courses or books or whatever here (I'm also poor/broke to buy books in the internet). I dropped out of college 2 weeks ago so I have a lot of time until September so I might try and fight my laziness and get started a bit.