Learning Japanese - Useful resources

Down

Rondine pm'd me about the deck I used in Anki and I actually couldn't find it again the shared decks on ankiweb.

So I uploaded my version of it, where I purged about ~1000 words which I found arguably useless. I don't pretend they were actually useless but I can't get them back anyway :P

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/740967428

And remember to read stuff along with Anki, it's the most important!

Rondine pm'd me about the deck I used in Anki and I actually couldn't find it again the shared decks on ankiweb.

So I uploaded my version of it, where I purged about ~1000 words which I found arguably useless. I don't pretend they were actually useless but I can't get them back anyway :P

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/740967428

And remember to read stuff along with Anki, it's the most important!

Thank you for your information Down! Out of the informations on the front page, I imagine Imabi would be a pretty good cheat sheet for me :D

I'm glad you decide to post that Shared Deck of yours on the front page of this thread as well.

This thread has been immensely helpful! I wish I would've found this thread on it's conception 2 years ago :D

you can use this one https://ankiweb.net/.../info/523650169 and this one https://ankiweb.net/...o/1668783345 to start, N5 and 4

Thanks for the help Deep Blue. Thank you for the warm welcome as well.

My Kanji is not good, but I think my vocabulary is already past N5, and maybe slightly past N4. Which is why I seek Down's flashcard.

• 4 weeks later...

I started learning Japanese at the beginning of High School right through to the end of High School. I could read Hiragana, Katakana and recognize around 50-60 Kanji. I was also at conversational level speaking for self improvement. I am now again studying Japanese at University. It is a hard language, but like any language you learn, it's all about practice and repetition.

I am also studying at University with students that didn't learn Japanese in High School and this is their 2nd year studying Japanese. They are pretty much at my level.

It really depends on the intensity of learning. Japanese is really a great language - don't feel discouraged either if you sometimes find it difficult :) ganbatte ne! (Good luck!)

I don't know if someone mentioned this site, but here you go.

http://kids.yahoo.co.jp/

If you can read kana, then you can train in this site and play multiple choice selection game, which in turn lets you feel comfortable with certain kanji. They also, give you chance to re-do your mistake, there are other games like grammar and such.

Also, if you have iPhone, you can find a game made by unity called Hiragana, it lets you play a game where you write on the touch pad and it test your "order of line", so it's helpful (It provides both Katakana writing and Hiragana). There is also another application in iPhone called JLPT study, it's useful for learning words and Kanji.

My former teacher advice.

A good plan to study is to make a small task day by day, even one word counts. The fact that you can spare 30 min (at least) a day will have greater impact after 1 year or so. Don't learn everything at once, you will be overwhelmed. Also, it's better to understand the kanji meaning rather than memorizing the reading. Knowing the meaning can really help later, when you know the words, which in turn helps you to read that kanji. However, you still need to learn the Kanji reading, so you can consider it as "easy mode" and "hard mode"

in conclusion, live the language.

• 2 weeks later...

Self study student here. 

I aim to be able to read as my top priority. Speak is much harder as no one around is able to interact with me, is it hard to learn a language without one or another? I have a hard time to even construct a few sentences, essays will be out of the question. 

My current stage is able to read sentences with fragmented knowledge of simple phrases. 

At present, I read in VN and depend on common occurrence of a phrase till I remember it naturally. Should continue this way? OR Learn to write(not mainly typing) and contruct essays? Time to learn grammar for a start though.

I aim to be able to read as my top priority. Speak is much harder as no one around is able to interact with me, is it hard to learn a language without one or another? I have a hard time to even construct a few sentences, essays will be out of the question. 

My current stage is able to read sentences with fragmented knowledge of simple phrases. 

At present, I read in VN and depend on common occurrence of a phrase till I remember it naturally. Should continue this way? OR Learn to write(not mainly typing) and contruct essays? Time to learn grammar for a start though.

I'm able to read a VN without problems (2,5 years self-study, 10.000 individual words learned), but I wouldn't be able to hold a simple conversation, simply because I never practiced it. You can have a near-fluent passive language-ability (reading, hearing), but that doesn't guarantee a sufficient active language-ability (speaking, writing). That's nothing surprising. It's the basic difference between recall and creation.

Your course of action should depend on your goal. I never intended to actually speak a lot Japanese, so I focused my study on learning vocabs and a skimming through some grammar. If you just want to read VNs, a good spaced repetition system (Anki), a good grammar guide (imabi.net), exposition to the language (Anime subbed or even jap-subbed) and willpower (continuing to read untranslated even though it's a hassle in the beginning; doing your daily reviews) is all you need. I've never even done a single school-like exercise.

---

On a sidenote: I don't recommend Memrise as a SRS anymore. The devs have no clue what they are doing with their site.

On a sidenote: I don't recommend Memrise as a SRS anymore. The devs have no clue what they are doing with their site.

It still has lots of user-created courses and nothing stops you from making your own, as you definitely should eventually do for pulling words and expressions out of wherever you encounter them as you interact with Japanese things. I honestly don't know the state of other SRS, but so far I haven't felt the need to move from Memrise (I have private courses for 2000+ words and 250+ kanji over there already).

I'm able to read a VN without problems (2,5 years self-study, 10.000 individual words learned), but I wouldn't be able to hold a simple conversation, simply because I never practiced it. You can have a near-fluent passive language-ability (reading, hearing), but that doesn't guarantee a sufficient active language-ability (speaking, writing). That's nothing surprising. It's the basic difference between recall and creation.

Your course of action should depend on your goal. I never intended to actually speak a lot Japanese, so I focused my study on learning vocabs and a skimming through some grammar. If you just want to read VNs, a good spaced repetition system (Anki), a good grammar guide (imabi.net), exposition to the language (Anime subbed or even jap-subbed) and willpower (continuing to read untranslated even though it's a hassle in the beginning; doing your daily reviews) is all you need. I've never even done a single school-like exercise.

---

Thank you, I needed this kind of response. I was unsure even if I keep learning this way, I would even get to the level able to do speed reading or even hearing as if it is one of my main language. 

But another thought, being able to interact and do some posting in Japanese sites or games might be useful in future. !! I just thought of practice typing out sentences on VNs may achieve my goal. Mm mm...

Edited by minuore

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This helped me to understand the freaking "ゆく" that I constanlty read and hear in lyrics all the time

http://forum.jisho.org/discussion/comment/4520#Comment_4520 

this is for for the use of じゃない LINK which can be a bit tricky at first 

EDIT: I will start posting some links that were useful to me when I remember them :P 

• Down unpinned this topic